SPOILERS - The New Bakker Story (or the first half anyways)

bakkerfans

Why is Bakker so revered on this site?

TSA is actually IMHO, the most intriguing, mysterious series that I've read. Its just my opinion, but more people should give it a shot. I actually believe when Bakker said in an interview that when the series is all said and done, that nothing like it has been done before. I have no clue where its going, there a plenty of ways you can believe its gonna go, and parallels to Dune ( I've never read it, but have read many posts about it), but I really believe it'll be something that will blow us away. I hope.

Why is Bakker so revered on this site?

To me it's just a matter of giving credit where it's due, dude's written just about the best fantasy of the modern era. It also has a lot of complexity and depth, across a diverse amount of ways, which gets reflected in the huge amount of discussion/threads it inspires on here.

The PoN/AE books have sold over 125,000 copies for Overlook alone. For a small American press, that's pretty good. Add in the sales for Orbit (a much bigger publisher) and foreign translations and Bakker has probably cleared 250,000. Not bad for what remains a relatively obscure fantasy series.

To put it in perspective, though, Joe Abercrombie has sold well north of 3 million copies. The Name of the Wind by itself has likely sold well over a million copies. A relative newcomer like Mark Lawrence has sold over 300,000 and is likely closing in on half a million total, in just three and a half years. Even Scott Lynch has shifted over half a million copies of The Lies of Locke Lamora by itself. Bakker's okay, but 250,000 sales in ten years is firmly in 'cult author' territory.

As I've said many times before, we pretty much need Overlook to drop the series at this point and for Orbit USA to take it over. They can give it a bigger push and get it on the shelves in the US, which is where a lot of the problems are occurring. Yes, it's a niche and philosophical work, but so are the Dune books and they've done 'okay' (to the tune of 20 million sales and climbing).

Thanks for that Wert. I think it's easy to get caught up in the online community and forget how little impact it often has on sales.

For example Grack21 once pointed out how dubbed animes sell way more than subbed though the latter is what you see praised online.

As I've said many times before, we pretty much need Overlook to drop the series at this point and for Orbit USA to take it over. They can give it a bigger push and get it on the shelves in the US, which is where a lot of the problems are occurring. Yes, it's a niche and philosophical work, but so are the Dune books and they've done 'okay' (to the tune of 20 million sales and climbing).

This makes me wonder... If the series becomes a best seller after Bakker’s death are we going to see prequels written by his children like The White Jihad and House Anasûrimbor?

I still remain a bit surprised that there hasn't been a bit more of "OK, I read ASOIAF, what next?" buyers of TSA.

GRRM is a big fan of the original trilogy. I've been surprised that the publishers haven't asked him for a cover quote, it would do wonders for sales of the series.

Hey, Madness. I noticed that Bakker mentioned on Three Seas forum that he had a an outline for a First Apocalypse standalone... Do you have any idea whether he’s still considering that or is it something that’s never going to happen due to the lack of sales?

I'm sure it's still in his mind - but if he was secure in writing full-time (we might as well start crowdfunding his daughter's college fund now), then I know there are other stories in him to tell before he circles back to a First Apocalypse standalone.

GRRM is the same guy who did the Dinosaur Lords cover quote, and without even reading it? I’m not sure I’d buy anything recommended by him.

How, exactly, do you know he didn't read it? Do you and Ty go out for drinks and discuss his personal plans? Are you on Parris's holiday email list?

I'm trying to figure out what sort of higher insight you have into George's life that would allow you to make that statement. Milan, is obviously a friend of George's, and why the hell wouldn't he have read it?

Archived