Small Questions v.10093

Jon Weirgaryen

From Game's appendix :

The Starks trace their descent from Brandon the Builder and the ancient Kings of Winter. For thousands of years, they ruled from Winterfell as Kings in the North, until Torrhen Stark, the King Who Knelt, chose to swear fealty to Aegon the Dragon rather than give battle. Their blazon is a grey direwolf on an ice-white field. The Stark words are Winter Is Coming.

This looks like the source of the wiki saying Brandon the Builder was the first King in the North.

Did Yoren travel alone when he was recruiting? I seem to recall on the show he does but that seems very risky.

It would appear so. No other black brother is mentioned when Yoren and his recruits join Benjen, Jon and Tyrion and co on their way to the Wall

There were eight in the party by then, not counting the wolf. Tyrion traveled with two of his own men, as befit a Lannister. Benjen Stark had only his bastard nephew and some fresh mounts for the Night’s Watch, but at the edge of the wolfswood they stayed a night behind the wooden walls of a forest holdfast, and there joined up with another of the black brothers, one Yoren. Yoren was stooped and sinister, his features hidden behind a beard as black as his clothing, but he seemed as tough as an old root and as hard as stone. With him were a pair of ragged peasant boys from the Fingers. “Rapers,” Yoren said with a cold look at his charges. Tyrion understood. Life on the Wall was said to be hard, but no doubt it was preferable to castration.

Later, there are NW men with Yoren all the way to Winterfell, but that was for Tyrion, not Yoren. He travels further south on his own (with Tyrion and Tyrion's men, but without any other NW men)

Well that's brave of him. I wonder if he was ever mistaken for a deserter.

He has been beyond the wall....

There is far more to Bron than meets the eye...

I think the story will close with Bron being the Hand of the King...

GRRM has Bron strategically positioned with a small army of sellswords... I would assume that he sides with Tyrion...

There's Conwy, who brought Satin and others to the wall.

Also Bronn having been north of the Wall is from the show, not the books.

Thank you for pointing him out. By searching his name I also found Gueren listed in the appendix as a wandering crow. His only mention is in Game of Thrones:

You are as hopeless as any boys I have ever trained,” Ser Alliser Thorne announced when they had all assembled in the yard. “Your hands were made for manure shovels, not for swords, and if it were up to me, the lot of you would be set to herding swine. But last night I was told that Gueren is marching five new boys up the kingsroad. One or two may even be worth the price of piss. To make room for them, I have decided to pass eight of you on to the Lord Commander to do with as he will.”

Got a small question about book-to-show adaptation.

Been re-watching the HBO series and saw a moment between Theon and Ros(?) the red-headed whore:

Theon tosses a coin to Ros as she is leaving and says, "i'm going to miss you".. to which Ros says "I know".

Anyone remember if that's in the book? This seems like a slight nod to the iconic moment between Han Solo and Princess Leia when Han Solo is a total badass and replies "I know" instead of "I love you too". I know it's obscure so that's why I'm posting here--it's so insignificant that I didn't want to look for it :smug:

Was just curious to know if the HBO producers put that in or if it was in the book and I forgot.

*I know technically I could post in the GoT forum but there's no chance of finding an answer there :dunno:

Been re-watching the HBO series and saw a moment between Theon and Ros(?) the red-headed whore:

Theon tosses a coin to Ros as she is leaving and says, "i'm going to miss you".. to which Ros says "I know".

Anyone remember if that's in the book? This seems like a slight nod to the iconic moment between Han Solo and Princess Leia when Han Solo is a total badass and replies "I know" instead of "I love you too". I know it's obscure so that's why I'm posting here--it's so insignificant that I didn't want to look for it :smug:

Was just curious to know if the HBO producers put that in or if it was in the book and I forgot.

Ros is a creation of the show, so no that scene is not in the books.

Theon tosses a coin to Ros as she is leaving and says, "i'm going to miss you".. to which Ros says "I know"

Anyone remember if that's in the book?

Ros is not in the book, she is a D&D invention on the show. So no, no such scene between Theon and a whore.

This seems like a slight nod to the iconic moment between Han Solo and Princess Leia when Han Solo is a total badass and replies "I know" instead of "I love you too".

You've got that one right, it is a tip to the hat.

Nice username, Beanis!

Ros is show-only. She fulfills the role of Kyra in the North, up to a point (while Ros leaves, Kyra in the books remains), and in KL fulfils the role of multiple whores (including Alayaya)... And, of course, she fulfils show-only purposes as well.

As Ros isn't in the books, that scene with Theon isn't either.

Bran and Rickon escape by not escaping. They create the illusionthat they're gone while hiding in the crypts. Was it ever mentioned who came up with that plan? I'm betting on Osha. I used to think it was a kind of poetic parallel that Bael and Bran used the same escape plan. But Osha would have heard songs about Bael. And here's another question. What's the name of the song where Bael pisses in the Stark gene pool?

Bran and Rickon escape by not escaping. They create the illusionthat they're gone while hiding in the crypts. Was it ever mentioned who came up with that plan? I'm betting on Osha. I used to think it was a kind of poetic parallel that Bael and Bran used the same escape plan. But Osha would have heard songs about Bael. And here's another question. What's the name of the song where Bael pisses in the Stark gene pool?

Rickon with Shaggydog might have been the lead because there he dreams of and meets 'father'.

The song? It is the tale of Bael the Bard. And somehow your question does not look like one :)

Any Stark knights?

I can never remember who is a knight and who is just a lord....

Cannot remember any Stark knights right away, but a lord is above a knight in any case.

So a lord does not need knighthood. But a lord's son, not being a lord by rights, might go for knighthood to distinguish himself.

Next - in the North knighthood himself is uncommon - for a number of reasons. So it is not too odd to see few or no Stark knights in the tale. The Starks follow the old gods, knight are anointed in the light of the Seven.

Ygritte calls it the song of the winter rose. And I agree it's likely that Osha thought of it and came with the plan.

Archived