Stannis getting Dragonstone: Insult or honour?

Salafi Stannis

He was given land for the same reason stannis was... He was Roberts brother. Stannis got more than he normally would and should be grateful. Notably, the stormlands are greater than the crownlands too.

I'm just saying Renly was given the richer prize despite the fact that Stannis helped Robert win two wars. So I'll ask again what did Renly do to earn more power than his older brother?

I'm just saying Renly was given the richer prize despite the fact that Stannis helped Robert win two wars. So I'll ask again what did Renly do to earn more power than his older brother?

Being born to the same parents. He was also there at SE right alongside Stannis. It seems that Stannis was given DS very shortly after the rebellion to help sort it out, so his future contributions during the Greyjoy rebellion wouldn't yet be a factor (and, notably, it was his job as the Master of Ships). I don't think Robert gave Renly SE at the same time, but as Renly got older and Robert more secure in his seat on the IT he probably decided that Renly, like Stannis, should also get something and it just happened to be the richest prize. By this time Stannis would have been gone for some time and settled on DS and Renly the person everyone at SE was used to. I don't think Robert was thinking about Stannis at all.

That's the thing, isn't it, that it's not really Robert's place to give Renly Storm's End and the Stormlands. Robert is the Lord of the Stormlands before he becomes King but he's more like it's custodian rather than owner, at least how feudalism works.

Robert giving Renly the Stormlands broke succession laws.

Robert could do it, though, because he's King.

It might have caused Renly to believe he could outjump Stannis AGAIN, though.

That's the thing, isn't it, that it's not really Robert's place to give Renly Storm's End and the Stormlands. Robert is the Lord of the Stormlands before he becomes King but he's more like it's custodian rather than owner, at least how feudalism works.

Robert giving Renly the Stormlands broke succession laws.

Robert could do it, though, because he's King.

It might have caused Renly to believe he could outjump Stannis AGAIN, though.

Except it is Roberts right. He's the oldest brother and he had "children".

Except it is Roberts right. He's the oldest brother and he had "children".

I think he passed over Stannis for Lord of Storm's End before his children were born.

It'd be one thing to pass Stannis over for, say, Tommen but doing it for Renly is much-much worse.

It's sequence-breaking.

We see how this works out with the Dance of the Dragons.

It does show Robert is a pretty awful person and explains a lot of Stannis' idiosyncrasies.

Well we knew Robert was a pretty awful person to Stannis simply by how Robert ruined Stannis's wedding night. The guy couldn't even keep it in his pants for one night, to honor his brother.

I think he passed over Stannis for Lord of Storm's End before his children were born.

It'd be one thing to pass Stannis over for, say, Tommen but doing it for Renly is much-much worse.

It's sequence-breaking.

We see how this works out with the Dance of the Dragons.

To be nice to his brothers, he screwed all his future sons and grandsons etc. out of both Storm's End and Dragonstone. If anything, that breaks all established order. Compared to this, a shuffle between second brother and third brother is peanuts.

The ones who weren't born yet?Someone needed to look after the Stormlands.

Irrelevant. They were born and they were Roberts rightful heirs. They were the ones who lost out. Is it fair to stannis that renly got better than him? Maybe not. But he still gained a lot at the expense of Roberts kids and should be more grateful.

Irrelevant. They were born and they were Roberts rightful heirs. They were the ones who lost out. Is it fair to stannis that renly got better than him? Maybe not. But he still gained a lot at the expense of Roberts kids and should be more grateful.

Yes, and Robert shouldn't be Lord of the Stormlands and King.

Ergo, his titles should pass from him.

This is a matter of some dispute, though.

I do think Stannis wouldn't mind if they'd been given to Robert's kids, though.

The ones who weren't born yet?

Yes, they. Someone a few posts earlier stated that Robert was more of a custodian that an actual order. Well, giving away big chunks of the estate to his brothers, at the expense of his future son(s), who by all laws and customs should inherit the whole shebang - well, that's practically malfeasance.

Imagine Ned deciding that sure, he'll marry Cat and father children with her, but sorry, Winterfell goes to Benjen and Cat's kids can suck it.

Someone needed to look after the Stormlands.

Temporarily. That's what regents and castellans are for.

Yes, they. Someone a few posts earlier stated that Robert was more of a custodian that an actual order. Well, giving away big chunks of the estate to his brothers, at the expense of his future son(s), who by all laws and customs should inherit the whole shebang - well, that's practically malfeasance.

Imagine Ned deciding that sure, he'll marry Cat and father children with her, but sorry, Winterfell goes to Benjen and Cat's kids can suck it.

Temporarily. That's what regents and castellans are for.

their is a very good reason you don't give a second a lordship that can rival the first born's. it a matter of policy as both son's claim originate from you if any of the lord's dislike the first born they might turn towards the second son.

cue civil war.

their is a very good reason you don't give a second a lordship that can rival the first born's. it a matter of policy as both son's claim originate from you if any of the lord's dislike the first born they might turn towards the second son.

cue civil war.

Roberts kids come before stannis so they have even more rights to complain.

Cersei: And Stannis has always felt he was cheated of Storm's End. The ancestral seat of House Baratheon, his by rights... if you knew how many times he came to Robert singing that same dull song in that gloomy aggrieved tone he has. When Robert gave the place to Renley, Stannis clenched his jaw so tight I thought his teeth would shatter.

Tyrion: He took it as a slight.

Cersei: It was meant as a slight.

~A Clash of Kings, Chapter 25.

Considering Robert also had sex with a Florent girl in Stannis' bed on his wedding night, and chose to ride North to choose Eddard as Hand (passing over Stannis again), I'm inclined to believe Cersei. Robert, clearly, did not like Stannis.

Archived