Stannis getting Dragonstone: Insult or honour?

Salafi Stannis

Didn't Cersei very clearly say it was meant as a slight? It makes sense, while the original job is already done, there is no need for him to continue ruling Dragonstone and its meager incomes while Renly gets to party down at SE. Very much an insult.

Cersei the Idiot who sees everything as a slight?

Dragonstone and their lords of the Narrow Sea is much more of a reward than what either of Eddard and Jaime got.

I was thinking Warden of the East and Hand of the King, both were highly honourable and prized positions, not naming Stannis the latter was smart though, since his rule would be harsher than Robert would want. I meant that the basic premise of Robert was basically, "tough job, call Stannis". Hold Storms End with 500 men Stannis. I could just as easily name Redwyne the naval commander to fight the best navy in Westeros to placate the Tyrells but I am telling you to do it Stannis. subdue Great Wyk, the largest of the Iron Islands for me Stannis, I could get Randyll Tarly to do it, to help placate the Tyrells and he's a good enough soldier, once defeating me. Subdue and rule the Targaryen loyal fortress of Dragonstone for me Stannis. It was a job first and foremost, but it was a job that carried a rich reward, Eddard, Jaime and Renly by comparison haven't done nearly as much, in Renly's case nothing and Jaime... looked good in golden armour? And Robert is chucking things at them. As I said, I think its quite nice that he trusts him in a way, but I think Stannis would've liked to have ruled his home instead.

Word of God said it was a generous gift. Stannis looked the gift stag in the mouth. Reminds me Dudley Dursley's spoiled brat-ness.

It's a spectacular gift, again, for anyone who isn't the Lord of the Stormlands *adopts Stannis voice* BY RIGHT.

Maybe Robert thought Renly would be better at being a "Lord Paramount" type (as in, the Lords of the Storm Lands look to the owner of Storms end for leadership), as Renly seems to have better people skills. Stannis presumes a person should follow him, because he would follow them if he was in their shoes. But life often doesn't work like that. Sure, you sometimes get a Davos or Ned, but the majority I think go whichever way the wind blows, and in order to keep people like that happy you need a guy whos good at blowing a lot of hot air. Stannis is good at getting shit done, but sometimes making sure the mail ariives everyday isn't enough for people.

Well, Renly was a child then.

I think Dragonstone is an insult but it's the kind which isn't immediately apparent and not so much one which would start a war. It's the equivalent of Ned Stark giving Jon Snow Winterfell and Rob Stark lordship of Moat Cailin. Moat Caliin is a pretty awesome place but it's not Winterfell and everyone knows what giving Jon Snow Winterfell implies given it is the traditional seat of Stark power.

Dragonstone is also far removed from the Stormlands and thus, effectively destroys any chance Stannis could press his rights by force.

Yet, it LOOKS generous enough Stannis can't really object either.

That is a pretty crazy idea, but I don't think there is enough time to write that in and I don't see either of the Stark kids going for it. Interesting, though.

Well, Renly was a child then. I think Dragonstone is an insult but it's the kind which isn't immediately apparent and not so much one which would start a war. It's the equivalent of Ned Stark giving Jon Snow Winterfell and Rob Stark lordship of Moat Cailin. Moat Caliin is a pretty awesome place but it's not Winterfell and everyone knows what giving Jon Snow Winterfell implies given it is the traditional seat of Stark power. Dragonstone is also far removed from the Stormlands and thus, effectively destroys any chance Stannis could press his rights by force. Yet, it LOOKS generous enough Stannis can't really object either.

Except Robb would be the rightful lord of winterfell and stannis wasn't.

Robert abdecated storm's end. before any son's were born.

by inheritance law the second he did that it went to stannis not renly.

Not quite. He gave it to renly. As the lord of the storm lands it was his choice. Stannis was made one of the most powerful lords in westeros when he'd normally just be a sworn sword in roberts service.

No, inheritance didn't even come into it. King Robert gave Storm's End to the bannerman of his arbitrary choosing. Just like Aegon the Conqueror had done with Storm's End, and Highgarden, an Harrenhal.

Not quite. He gave it to renly. As the lord of the storm lands it was his choice. Stannis was made one of the most powerful lords in westeros when he'd normally just be a sworn sword in roberts service.

Actually The Lord of The Storm Lands has more bannermen and vassals. Which means more tax money, more soldiers and over all more power. The Lord of Dragon Stone only has a hand full of men in comparison.

Actually The Lord of The Storm Lands has more bannermen and vassals. Which means more tax money, more soldiers and over all more power. The Lord of Dragon Stone only has a hand full of men in comparison.

It's still a very powerful lordship.

Just because Renly was granted a greater title doesn't mean that Stannis didn't receive a huge advancement .

No, inheritance didn't even come into it. King Robert gave Storm's End to the bannerman of his arbitrary choosing. Just like Aegon the Conqueror had done with Storm's End, and Highgarden, an Harrenhal.

then it's an insult. the reason aegon gave those land's to other people was because. the people who had previously held it were traitors and were against his rule.

stannis was more loyal in holding that castle then 99% of people i know would be willing to go to.

passing some over in inheritance is a big insult big enough to go to war over. the only time doing something like that was reasonable was when said person was a traitor.

I didn't say that it made him more powerful than renly, although it should be noted that he also had the royal fleet. It still made him one of the most powerful lords in westeros when he'd normally just be a sworn sword in Roberts service. 5000 men, a massive fleet and a position on the small council,

I didn't say that it made him more powerful than renly, although it should be noted that he also had the royal fleet. It still made him one of the most powerful lords in westeros when he'd normally just be a sworn sword in Roberts service. 5000 men, a massive fleet and a position on the small council,

So what exactly did Renly do to earn the richer prize? We already know Stannis played a big role in both Roberts Rebellion and The Iron Born Rebellion. What exactly did Renly do in comparison?

So what exactly did Renly do to earn the richer prize? We already know Stannis played a big role in both Roberts Rebellion and The Iron Born Rebellion. What exactly did Renly do in comparison?

He was given land for the same reason stannis was... He was Roberts brother. Stannis got more than he normally would and should be grateful. Notably, the stormlands are greater than the crownlands too.

Archived