ASOIF Guessing Game XVI - Favourite chapters - the end

Castellan

I'm assuming you are going to want the Book initials along with the chapters. "Daenerys V" seems to be the consensus, but technically there are 4 of them in the series

If anyone who sees this and has already posted can check their post and put the book initials in, that would be good. I will PM them too. Most people have included the book.

However, if people have posted and do not see this by due date, I will apply a common sense rule when awarding points.

Round 20 answer: AGOT Dany V

38 pts 3 lists, high score 19 low score 7

From Dany eating the stallion's heart to Viserys receiving a molton crown, you can’t say its not dramatic.

Most of you gambled correctly, a couple hedged their bets including Kirt who overestimated his host’s cunning:

Well, I've changed my mind. Castellan is playing some great joke on us, having created the clue she knew everyone of us will interpret as Dany V, while in truth it will be Dany IX.

1. AGOT 46 Dany V
2. AGOT 68 Dany IX

3. AGOT 64 Dany VIII

Other voted for other chapters maybe because they thought they were obviously better - and I can’t help thinking a certain shadowy person might have thought ‘with the Dothraki’ was a cunning piece of misdirection and so voted for the ADWD chapter where Dany ends up meeting Khal Jhaqo’s horde. But no, I am not malicious and I’d hate to have a first round where nobody scored.

Anyway the clue for the next round is:

#19 A Bran POV

due 3 days from the date of this post

Scores (send me a PM if I've got s'thing wrong)

lil’ghost 5

Bustard 5

Annara Snow 5

Kirt 3

Ser Blackfyre 5

Ramsay Blow 5

Lord Lyman 3

a shadow 0

Lyanna<3Rhaegar 0

Lord Sapna 3

Dany Lannister 5

honeyed chicked 0

TC 5

Grietnog 5

Ser Fingerbones 5

Mathis of Rowan 0

Round 20 answer: AGOT Dany V

From Dany eating the stallion's heart to Viserys receiving a molton crown, you can’t say its not dramatic.

Most of you gambled correctly, a couple hedged their bets including Kirt who overestimated his host’s cunning:

Other voted for other chapters maybe because they thought they were obviously better - and I can’t help thinking a certain shadowy person might have thought ‘with the Dothraki’ was a cunning piece of misdirection and so voted for the ADWD chapter where Dany ends up meeting Khal Jhaqo’s horde. But no, I am not malicious and I’d hate to have a first round where nobody scored.

Well, as you already know from my list but others don't, I think that AGOT Dany IX and Dany X are better than Dany V. The former is my favorite Dany chapter - it was so devastating and a real shock to me when I first read it (I was spoiled on Ned dying, but on this - I figured Drogo would probably die, but would have never guessed how it would happen, that the child would die too and how it would all go wrong for Dany), but at the same time, it's one of those rare occasions when I also found the POV character's antagonist completely sympathetic and justified from her POV - Mirri's "Tell me how you saved me" speech was great. And it all stemmed naturally from Dany's contradictory position of someone who was horrified by the reality of rape and slavery and had been a victim herself, but who was at the same time the khaleesi, Drogo's wife and the reason why they launched the campaign in the first place.

But I was sure there was no way that chapter would rank, I've never seen anyone else mention it as their favorite, it's always the next one where the dragons hatch. And since it's not that one, it figures it would be the one where Viserys is 'crowned', because people like big event chapters, especially the ones where annoying people die. What I like =/= how I think others voted.

ETA: are you going to reveal the number of points, number of lists etc.?

For this round, I'm not entirely sure, but I'll go with:

1. ADWD Bran III

2. ASOS Bran II

3. ADWD Bran II

Well, as you already know from my list but others don't, I think that AGOT Dany IX and Dany X are better than Dany V. The former is my favorite Dany chapter - it was so devastating and a real shock to me when I first read it (I was spoiled on Ned dying, but on this - I figured Drogo would probably die, but would have never guessed how it would happen, that the child would die too and how it would all go wrong for Dany), but at the same time, it's one of those rare occasions when I also found the POV character's antagonist completely sympathetic and justified from her POV - Mirri's "Tell me how you saved me" speech was great. And it all stemmed naturally from Dany's contradictory position of someone who was horrified by the reality of rape and slavery and had been a victim herself, but who was at the same time the khaleesi, Drogo's wife and the reason why they launched the campaign in the first place.

But I was sure there was no way that chapter would rank, I've never seen anyone else mention it as their favorite, it's always the next one where the dragons hatch. And since it's not that one, it figures it would be the one where Viserys is 'crowned', because people like big event chapters, especially the ones where annoying people die. What I like =/= how I think others voted.

Dany X wasn't just about the death of MMD and the birth of the dragons, although that was dramatic enough. It was really about the rebirth of Dany as a ruler. On the Dothraki Sea she shook free of Viserys and became a Khaleesi, but in that moment on the pyre she became much more. She became the dragon, the true heir to Aegon the conqueror and all the Targaryen mythos.

That said, you've made me pissed off at myself for not including Dany IX. That was the real transformative moment for her that was revealed in Dany X. It was also a glimpse of what might have been - the son with bronze Dothraki skin and pale blonde, Targaryen hair. The chapter also had the confrontation with MMD and her goodbye to Drogo.

I'm going to go with AGOT 1 Bran I

Dany X wasn't just about the death of MMD and the birth of the dragons, although that was dramatic enough. It was really about the rebirth of Dany as a ruler. On the Dothraki Sea she shook free of Viserys and became a Khaleesi, but in that moment on the pyre she became much more. She became the dragon, the true heir to Aegon the conqueror and all the Targaryen mythos.

That said, you've made me pissed off at myself for not including Dany IX. That was the real transformative moment for her that was revealed in Dany X. It was also a glimpse of what might have been - the son with bronze Dothraki skin and pale blonde, Targaryen hair. The chapter also had the confrontation with MMD and her goodbye to Drogo.

I'm going to go with AGOT 1 Bran I

Oh, I love Dany X AGOT as well, it was on my list, it's my second favorite chapter in AGOT.

Well, seems I've overplayed it then :D But now, the real question is whether this one is the Host making a cryptic promise of some strong cunning in the rounds to come or not xD Guess we'll have to wait and see. ;)

ADWD Bran III

ACOK Bran VII

AGOT Bran II

Archived