ASOIF Guessing Game XVI - Favourite chapters - the end

Castellan

#17 ASOS Epilogue (81) - inside the mind of a Frey

41 points, on 4 lists, highest score 19, lowest 6

A very commonplace man meets a far from commonplace woman.

If you arrived here anxious to see your five points, don't worry, hardly anyone else scored either, rankings remain about the same.

Mathis of Rowan and lil ghost got one point each. Many gamblers this round, but a couple of people hedged their bets and still didn't get any points! I won't mention Kirt's suspicions.

I didn't plan it. Really. I was going to just say 'this chapter includes hangings', thinking there are two main chapters that are very much about hangings - you all went for the other one - and a few where they are more incidental. Then, because the other type of hint I was thinking about was the fact that it was an epilogues and they tend to be shocking and leave questions in our minds and a desire to purchase the next book, I decided to put 'you keep me hanging on'. Of course that works as well for the suspenseful ending of the Brienne chapter. Better, it seems.

Standings after #17

(check your scores and tell me if I'm wrong)

Ser Fingerbones 11

Grietnog 11

Ser Blackfyre 10

TC 10

Annara Snow 9

Kirt 9

Bustard 8

Ramsay Blow 8

il’ghost 5+1=6

Lyanna<3Rhaegar 5

Dany Lannister 5

a shadow 5

Lord Lyman 4

Lord Sapna 3

Mathis of Rowan 3+1=4

Honeyed chicked 0

So in sum, these are the incorrect chapters you guessed for #17:

AFFC Brienne VIII a ghastly chapter for Brienne; she chooses to save Pod at the end

ADWD Jon XIII a ghastly day for Jon too, bad news from Winterfell, a decision to act to save Arya and then ....

ADWD Dany IX I finally nutted out that this got a vote because Dany was 'hanging on' to Drogon as she left the dragon pit ... am I right?

One of these chapters is at #16

due 3 days from the time of this post, give or take an hour

I initially thought it was the epilogue but changed my mind pretty quickly. I found that the Brienne chapter left me hanging on far more than the epilogue did. I may have shed a manly tear and shouted at the page after that chapter. With the epilogue it was more like "Holy shit, what just happened?" but I didn't feel like I wanted to find out what happened straight away, not in the same way the Brienne one did. (Poor Pod..) But that's just me.

Well each of these chapters are brilliant (a couple of them were on my list) so I'm going to have to be boring and play it safe for now.

1. AFFC Brienne VIII

2. ADWD Dany IX

3. ADWD Jon XIII

Edit: I think you mean Jon XIII rather than Jon VIII?

The Merritt Frey epi is the obvious answer to your clue for 17. I guess none of us do obvious. :P

The Brienne chapter was at least as obvious an answer, if not more.

Since I was wrong in the last two rounds when I was sure, I'll play it safe this time, no guesses...

I'm now thinking it's not Brienne's chapter, but while I'm leaning towards the Jon chapter, which I think is certain to be in top 20, though it could be higher.

1. ADWD Jon XIII (I assume "Jon VIII" was a typo)

2. ADWD Dany IX

3. AFFC Brienne VIII

:D OK, some very bad timings in being sneaky :D

This one is interesting, even though there are only 3 possibilities - how many people like Jon XIII and how many dislike the cliffhanger? How many hate it because they believe Jon will simply be revived and how many love that he will be revived (well, or "survived")? I'm really curious where and if all 3 of these chapters are going to end up.

1. AFFC Brienne VIII

2. ADWD Jon XIII

3. ADWD Dany IX

Archived