ASOIF Guessing Game XVI - Favourite chapters - the end

Castellan

Anyone can play the guessing game, you don’t have to have sent a list. Read the first post for rules.

At long last, the guessing begins. Thanks for those last lists, people, they brought the scores per chapter up so the 'winners' emerged pretty clearly. We have 15 lists in all.

Clue for Number 20: High drama with the Dothraki.

Due - 3 days from the date of this post.

Please include both the book and chapter in your post.

Runners up - two or three people rating a chapter highly got a chapter this far, but not far enough.

#21 ASOS 60 - Tyrion VIII - Tyrion at the Purple Wedding

The chapter that has everything, and yet didn’t quite make the cut.

35 pts, on 3 lists, highest score 17 lowest 8 (I guess you can work out the other score)

#22 ACOK 22 Catelyn II Catelyn is an envoy to Renly at Bitterbridge.

A contemplative chapter in which we get Catelyn’s view of the ‘knights of summer’, meet Brienne and hear that Stannis has chosen to attack Storm’s End.

34 pts, on 2 lists, scores 20 and 14

correction: there was a tie for #22 with ACOK 64 Arya X also on 34 points. In this chapter she sees the results of Roose Bolton taking over Harrenhal, hears of her younger brothers' deaths and finally escapes from Harrenhal.

#23 AGOT 72 Daenerys X Dany hatches some eggs

AGOT ends on this high fantasy note. I would have expected it to score higher.

33 pts, on 5 lists, highest score 20 lowest 1

#24 ADWD 61 The Griffin Reborn

Job Con is back in Griffin’s Roost, thinking of the past and carrying a terrible disease.

31 pts, on 2 lists, scores 18 and 13

equal #24 ASOS 74 Arya XIII

More hard travelling' for Arya. This chapter takes her from killing a squire at the Inn of the Crossroads, to refusing to kill Sandor and finally trading Jaqen’s coin for passage to Braavos.

31 pts, on 2 lists, scores 16 and 15

Anyone can play the guessing game, you don’t have to have sent a list. Read the first post for rules.

At long last, the guessing begins. Thanks for those last lists, people, they brought the scores per chapter up so the 'winners' emerged pretty clearly. We have 15 lists in all.

Clue for Number 20: High drama with the Dothraki.

Due - 3 days from the date of this post.

I'm going to go with Daenerys V, AGOT - the golden crown chapter, too.

I'm pretty sure my favorite Dany AGOT chapter is not going to be in the top 25, but I didn't expect it to be.

Runners up - two or three people rating a chapter highly got a chapter this far, but not far enough.

#21 ASOS 60 - Tyrion VIII - Tyrion at the Purple Wedding

The chapter that has everything, and yet didn’t quite make the cut.

35 pts, on 3 lists, highest score 17 lowest 8 (I guess you can work out the other score)

It also has waaaaaaaaaaay too many food descriptions. I know because I reread it a few days ago, just before voting.

#22 ACOK 22 Catelyn II Catelyn is an envoy to Renly at Bitterbridge.

A contemplative chapter in which we get Catelyn’s view of the ‘knights of summer’, meet Brienne and hear that Stannis has chosen to attack Storm’s End.

34 pts, on 2 lists, scores 20 and 14

#23 AGOT 72 Daenerys X Dany hatches some eggs

AGOT ends on this high fantasy note. I would have expected it to score higher.

33 pts, on 5 lists, highest score 20 lowest 1

#24 ADWD 61 The Griffin Reborn

Job Con is back in Griffin’s Roost, thinking of the past and carrying a terrible disease.

31 pts, on 2 lists, scores 18 and 13

equal #24 ASOS 74 Arya XIII

More hard travelling' for Arya. This chapter takes her from killing a squire at the Inn of the Crossroads, to refusing to kill Sandor and finally trading Jaqen’s coin for passage to Braavos.

31 pts, on 2 lists, scores 16 and 15

I'm somewhat surprised the hatching of the dragons didn't rank higher, and also that only one other person voted for Arya's last chapter in ASOS (so much drama! action! fighting! revenge! "IS THERE GOLD IN THE VILLAGE?!" Sandor hearing about Sansa's wedding. Sandor's "dying" speech! Arya using the coin to go to Braavos!) but I guess it's incredibly hard to rank high, with so many chapters in the books to choose from. I know I felt bad I had to leave some of my favorites out in order to have just 20. The "knights of summer" chapter is one I thought about and might have included if it was a top 30.

It also has waaaaaaaaaaay too many food descriptions. I know because I reread it a few days ago, just before voting.

Whenever I think of that Tyrion chapter I feel physically uncomfortable. The food, the alcohol, the need to pee, the gibes, the endless songs, the horrible pie with birds, his book cut in four (and nobody bothers to save the pieces!).

Then again most of Tyrion's chapters are like that. The one in Illyrio's litter is worse.

[changed] Just as well AGOT Dany V.

Castellan, are you sure you got the score for the Bitterbridge chapter right? Because, you know, according to what you've wrote there's no such score as 20. :D Maybe it was 2? :D

But well, if 20 points is for the 1st place and this chapter really got it, it's surprising. I mean, I see why someone, especially some Renly or Brienne supporter, ranks it really high, but the best chapter of the entire series? Just strange :D (Or maybe someone sent their list numbered with points instead of ranks? xD Maybe there's some Red Wedding on the 18th or 20th position on that list xD)

I'm pleasantly surprised both Purple Wedding and dragon's hatching didn't make it to top 20. Neither was on my list, but I thought they'd be much much higher overall. Well, it seems we ASOIAF fans just don't want any happy events even when got one from time to time, do we? ;)

and also that only one other person voted for Arya's last chapter in ASOS (...) I know I felt bad I had to leave some of my favorites out in order to have just 20.

I felt really bad for leaving out Arya 13 ;) It was a strong candidate on my pre-list for gaining several points but well... Like Catellan once said, this one would probably make to top 20 if I made the list on some other day ;d

Whenever I think of that Tyrion chapter I feel physically uncomfortable. The food, the alcohol, the need to pee, the gibes, the endless songs, the horrible pie with birds, his book cut in four (and nobody bothers to save the pieces!).

Then again most of Tyrion's chapters are like that. The one in Illyrio's litter is worse.

Well, the book was actually cut in the previous Tyrion chapter. (Edit: correction:it's actually in the Sansa chapter just preceding the Purple Wedding chapter.) And Joffrey hacked it into so many little pieces that it would be pointless to try to save them. He went all 'IS THERE GOLD IN THE VILLAGE?!' on that poor book. ;)

Just as well AGOT Dany V.

Castellan, are you sure you got the score for the Bitterbridge chapter right? Because, you know, according to what you've wrote there's no such score as 20. :D Maybe it was 2? :D

But well, if 20 points is for the 1st place and this chapter really got it, it's surprising. I mean, I see why someone, especially some Renly or Brienne supporter, ranks it really high, but the best chapter of the entire series? Just strange :D (Or maybe someone sent their list numbered with points instead of ranks? xD Maybe there's some Red Wedding on the 18th or 20th position on that list xD)

Well, Castellan said it was about our favorite chapters, not necessarily the best ones.

Well, Castellan said it was about our favorite chapters, not necessarily the best ones.

"but the chapter someone considers their very favourite from the entire series? Just strange :D " Better? I only expressed curiosity, I'm not saying no-one could rank it as their favourite.

Well, I've changed my mind. Castellan is playing some great joke on us, having created the clue she knew everyone of us will interpret as Dany V, while in truth it will be Dany IX.

1. AGOT 46 Dany V

2. AGOT 68 Dany IX

3. AGOT 64 Dany VIII

Guilty! It was me who put the chapter on number 1. I think it's a beautiful summary/allegory of the first part of the AsoIaF series, it's our only glimpse into a bright future that never was. Besides, we get Renly, Brienne, all the "knights of summer" and of course my personal Ensemble Darkhorse Mathis Rowan. Finally I just love the ending of the chapter.

For this round, I'm guessing AGOT Dany VIII.

Guilty! It was me who put the chapter on number 1. I think it's a beautiful summary/allegory of the first part of the AsoIaF series, it's our only glimpse into a bright future that never was. Besides, we get Renly, Brienne, all the "knights of summer" and of course my personal Ensemble Darkhorse Mathis Rowan. Finally I just love the ending of the chapter.

For this round, I'm guessing Dany VIII.

Mathis of Rowan! Nice to see you again! :)

The supervention of Mathis Rowan explains it all, then :D I must say your description looks really convincing - though probably for half the chapters someone could word a convincing explanation, so... just too many good chapters out there ;) Anyway, the case that it shouldn't've got 20 points for being yours favourite is still valid. Not that I complain, as IMO 20,19,18 is better grading than 25,19,18, but I'd be nice for example to get assured that either one is applied to all the list uniformly :D

Archived