Wow, I never noticed that, v. 9

Jon Weirgaryen

Um, not necessarily. Black Balaq and the Ebon Prince have a bit more in common than simply being black. They are both also involved with sellsword companies in Essos. Now, I'm not as confident as Lost Melnibonean that they are related but I don't think he's being racist with this belief.

Unless you have some actual indication that they share a last name or some family trait, it's racist. There are like a bazillion sellswords in Essos.

Lemmysee...Foxes/vixen in stories tend to be smart or clever.

At night their fox eyes reflect green light ... which is remarkable as the eyes of all other animals reflect amber/yellow light.

Tyrell ladies are bright and green eyed. Maybe coincidental?

eta: Nope, the last line was wrong, sorry...

I get why it can be seen as racist, but I think LM's theory has some merit. They don't have to be related in a physical sense. They are however spiritually related Maelys the Monstrous, the last BF was supported by the band of nine. Now whe have a new BF pretender trying to take Westeros and their are some characters that seem to allign with the band of nine:

1) The Ebon Prince = Black Balaq

2) Sammaro Saan = Salladhor Saan
3) Ser Derrick Fossoway = Ser Franklyn Flowers (seriously, he's a Fossoway bastard)
4) Alequo Adarys = The Tyroshi will probably fight on Faegon's side. Daenerys is anti-slavery after all. That also fits with the second dance symbolism. Tyrosh was on Aegon II's side.

I get why it can be seen as racist, but I think LM's theory has some merit. They don't have to be related in a physical sense. They are however spiritually related Maelys the Monstrous, the last BF was supported by the band of nine. Now whe have a new BF pretender trying to take Westeros and their are some characters that seem to allign with the band of nine:

1) The Ebon Prince = Black Balaq

2) Sammaro Saan = Salladhor Saan

3) Ser Derrick Fossoway = Ser Franklyn Flowers (seriously, he's a Fossoway bastard)

4) Alequo Adarys = The Tyroshi will probably fight on Faegon's side. Daenerys is anti-slavery after all. That also fits with the second dance symbolism. Tyrosh was on Aegon II's side.

What you are saying is not racist. You are saying that they may serve parallel roles, as representative Summer Islanders in similar groups. That's not the same as saying "they're related."

Saying hey look two black guys they're probably related is classic racism, even in fiction.

Just reread ADWD, and got caught on the Cersei/Kevan convo where Kevan refers to Lancel as Cersei's 'own nephew.' Editing mistake, or are Lannister bloodlines even further down the path of 'I'm my own Grandpa' than I thought?

Wouldn't they be Cousins? Not that that's any less messed up...

Probably not, if you look at it from that angle... But Jon Connington may in all probability already have vanquished some of their neighboring holdfasts and taken their families hostage, I'd imagine ...and rethink it.

Those dudes are definitely between a rock and a hard place.

Unless you have some actual indication that they share a last name or some family trait, it's racist. There are like a bazillion sellswords in Essos.

I apologize for any offense I might give. None was intended. I still suspect they might be related given their national origin, similar experience, and support for the Blackfyre cause.

What you are saying is not racist. You are saying that they may serve parallel roles, as representative Summer Islanders in similar groups. That's not the same as saying "they're related."

Saying hey look two black guys they're probably related is classic racism, even in fiction.

Yeah, um that's not what I said. For a long time folks wondered if Jalabhar Xho was the Ebon Prince or related to him, simply because the Ebon Prince was presumed to be black. I never subscribed to that belief (although I admit I considered the argument). But in any event I do sincerely apologize for any offense.

I apologize for any offense I might give. None was intended. I still suspect they might be related given their national origin, similar experience, and support for the Blackfyre cause.

I'm not offended. I'm pointing out that your reasoning is based on racism rather than actual reason.

There are lots of sellswords from lots of countries in the free companies, so those are not good reasons to think two of them are related. That they're black is even less of a good reason, and also a racist one. Support for the Blackfyre cause is not genetic as far as I know.

Yeah, um that's not what I said. For a long time folks wondered if Jalabhar Xho was the Ebon Prince or related to him, simply because the Ebon Prince was presumed to be black. I never subscribed to that belief (although I admit I considered the argument). But in any event I do sincerely apologize for any offense.

Jalabhar Xho being related to the Ebon Prince is actually not that racist, since they are both *exiled princes* from the Summer Isles. Two exiled royals from the same country very well might be related; that is reasonable.

Nope. Simply using the fact that they share the same race AND have other things in common as well isn't racist. If their shared race was the only reason for suspecting a connection then I'd agree with you but it wasn't.

I'm not offended. I'm pointing out that your reasoning is based on racism rather than actual reason.

There are lots of sellswords from lots of countries in the free companies, so those are not good reasons to think two of them are related. That they're black is even less of a good reason, and also a racist one. Support for the Blackfyre cause is not genetic as far as I know.

If the dude was from the Basilisk Islands, I wouldna suggested it. People suspect Verys and Serra are related because they're both from Lys.

Jalabhar Xho being related to the Ebon Prince is actually not that racist, since they are both *exiled princes* from the Summer Isles. Two exiled royals from the same country very well might be related; that is reasonable.

I give up.

Archived