Wow, I never noticed that, v. 9

Jon Weirgaryen

Catelyn in Clash, when she's visiting an abandoned sept:

"The Warrior was Renly and Stannis, Robb and Robert, Jaime Lannister and Jon Snow".

How incredibly odd is that Catelyn thinks of Jon when she remembers warriors. Or that he came into her thoughts at all.

Sorry I don't remember the exact timing of it (matters for the second pairing), but I find it somewhat telling that she groups Snow with Lannister, a man she despises. Two brothers, two kings, and two hateworthy people.

Sorry I don't remember the exact timing of it (matters for the second pairing), but I find it somewhat telling that she groups Snow with Lannister, a man she despises. Two brothers, two kings, and two hateworthy people.

It's after she finds out about the incest, when she ask Renly permission to go and pray. She says something that having bastards is acceptable, but incest is the worst thing ever.

Likely obvious for others but it took me some rereads to realize that the mad old Lady Vaith whom Dunk and Egg met is the same Cassella Vaith who was the Dornish mistress of Aegon IV, and lost her mind after Aegon threw her away.

Nice.

While we're on Catelyn and Jon, from Game 10 :

He was at the door when she called out to him. "Jon," she said. He should have kept going, but she had never called him by his name before. He turned to find her looking at his face, as if she were seeing it for the first time.

For the fourteen years of his childhood, Catelyn had never called Jon by his first name ?? Did she call him "Snow" ? "Bastard" ? Did she never call him ??

"“When Brienne peered more closely, she saw creatures in the foliage: a sly red fox, two sparrows on a branch, and behind those leaves the shadow of a boar.”

AFfC Brienne 2

Doing my first ever AFfC reread and I just spotted this. I get the fox and two sparrows; Littlefinger and Sansa/Robert Arryn (Little bird/Sweet Robin). I don't get the shadow of a boar, though...

The shadow of the boar that killed Robert?

IICR, once we mentioned that boars in ASOIAF represent the death of Kings or change in ruling. I would have to red the context of the whole quote.

If Cersei is the boar's shadow, then a foreshadowing that Cersei could eventually come to threathen Brienne's life?

More likely. Although not everything has a meaning either, this is the most "precise", so to speak.

ETA: She's in Duskendale. Two kings were "bleed" there.

Maybe I'm being stupid but I spent a long time scanning the maps at the start of the books, and couldn't find Griffin's Roost anywhere.

If the castle and the lands are so unimportant how was it that JonCon managed to rise so high under Aerys or be so close to Rhaegar?

Maybe I'm being stupid but I spent a long time scanning the maps at the start of the books, and couldn't find Griffin's Roost anywhere.

If the castle and the lands are so unimportant how was it that JonCon managed to rise so high under Aerys or be so close to Rhaegar?

Because now, house Connington is pretty much just a knightly house, and unimportant. Their lands were 10 times what they are now. They also didn't yet exist in aGoT.

Well, the castle and the lands used to be quite a big deal. The Conningtons appear to have been amongst the most powerful Baratheon vassals. They lost pretty much all of their land after RR. Red Ronnet only owned the castle and a tiny bit of land around it. If we assume that the maps are up to date with the books, Griffin's roost isn't a big deal anymore ;)

Well, the castle and the lands used to be quite a big deal. The Connington appear to have been amongst the most powerful Baratheon vassals. They lost pretty much all of their land after RR. Red Ronnet only owned the castle and a tiny bit of land around it. If we assume that the maps are up to date with the books, Griffin's roost isn't a big deal anymore ;)

That makes sense. Just thought it was interesting because there are a few politically unimportant places (like Whitetree) that get on the map. Maybe the JonCon plot line wasn't part of GRRMs original plan?

That makes sense. Just thought it was interesting because there are a few politically unimportant places (like Whitetree) that get on the map. Maybe the JonCon plot line wasn't part of GRRMs original plan?

Perhaps. We do not know what would have happened if the five year gap had still been in place. Jon Connington could certainly have died or been scrapped if that had happened. The politically unimportant places are just there to fill out the maps I guess. Plus, it would be pretty boring if only the places that would matter are noted on the maps. That wouldn't be a very realistic map.

Robert literally erased them from the map :(

...because I needed more reasons to hate that asshole.

Bobby B is dead and gone. He can't harm anyone anymore now.

Archived