All this talk about fAegon but will it really matter?

MarienneOfTarth

It won't matter.

"Power lies when men think it does" clearly applies to the question of Aegon and legitimacy.

It is no coincidence that this was a Varys line.

But it will matter this time, because of Dany's visit to the house of the undying. The "slayer of lies" vision included the mummer's dragon, being cheered by crowds. There are also indications towards a Dany-Aegon conflict, which would most likely come about because the former doubts the credentials of the latter.

He will be a Blackfyre descendant, but few people will ever find out. Thereby, in the end, both sides won't get what they were fighting for, showing how pointless of a conflict it was. The Targaryens nominally hold the throne, but it's a Blackfyre scion, and the Blackfyres actually hold the throne, but they can never tell anyone (and probably won't even know themselves).

I think he's fake as the day is long, but I agree that people in-story will believe what they want to believe and what benefits them. And it wouldn't surprise me if we never find out for sure if he's really Aegon.

The "slayer of lies" vision included the mummer's dragon, being cheered by crowds.

The cheering crowds part makes me think that Aegon will end up being popular with the common people. Which is pretty much how Varys sells him. I also think he'll be the one to ally with the Faith and tap into its populism. So it would end up being a tainted victory for Dany if she wins: She has her victory, but people actually liked the guy she killed and are maybe mad at her for killing him.

Totally agree, it does not matter. Him not being a POV and him being introduced so late kind of hints that he won't be alive for very long.

That's sort of where I am with it, first we have to see that the guy doesn't pull a Renly before we get too excited about his prospects.

Does it really matter if he's fake or real? If he's got an army and enough believers, I don't really see how it does. I don't expect him to ever "win" although he may briefly take Kings Landing.

My question is, do you think the reader will ever get a confirmation as to whether he is real or fake? Of will we be given a few more hints and then left to our theories?

no

Personally I believe he is legit

I think he will take Kings Landing, but the Blackfyre link will haunt his reign until Dany arrives, then the Dragons will prove if he is legit or not.

How would the dragons prove he's real or not? Blackfyres are also dragons, they have Targaryen ancesters and they were legitimised. I think real or not, Dany and Aegon will both have a dragon.

It will matter to Dany, it will matter to JC and it could, but probably won't matter to Jaime, Barristan and "Lemore". To everyone else in universe no.

Power resides where people believe, and Dany believes power resides in bloodlines.

If Aegon is a total imposter, just some child that was taken off the street and raised for Varys and Illyrio's purposes, it could make a very big difference. What if Dany dies and the dragons are needed to fight the Others? If he doesn't have the proper blood he won't be able to control them.

And that may be coming down the line. And at that point it may be Jon Snow who must step up as a true Targ and take control of the dragons to save the day.

If Aegon is a total imposter, just some child that was taken off the street and raised for Varys and Illyrio's purposes, it could make a very big difference. What if Dany dies and the dragons are needed to fight the Others? If he doesn't have the proper blood he won't be able to control them.

And that may be coming down the line. And at that point it may be Jon Snow who must step up as a true Targ and take control of the dragons to save the day.

So you're saying Illyrio knew Daenerys was gonna hatch the eggs?

Within the ASOIAF world, I just don't see a scenario in which it could be found out unless Varys says something. The reader could find out but maybe its only within the knowledge of 2-3 actual characters.

I think a cool way for his storyline to go would be if Dany somehow gets to him in KL after he takes the throne. She's cool with him being who he says he is but when he tries to interact with a dragon, he gets torched. Reflecting on it, Varys and Illryio could have a talk together that reveals it.

Archived