Bakker XXXIII: When One Thread Dies One Must Learn To Love Another

bakkerfans

Well, doesn't the Consult need to reduce the human population to 144,000 in order to shut-out the world and avoid damnation? It seems that the No-God was just on a path of destruction, going after the most populous areas. It was on its way to completing that, until it was destroyed on the fields of Mengedda. I don't think there was any special destination, just the quickest way to reduce the population.

Perhaps the No-God was just looking for someone who could answer its question? Of course, the trouble with that was everyone in its path being annihilated before they could offer an answer.

if it is NC, then plainly he was driving to see his good buddy seswatha in atyersus, to discuss

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU ABANDON ME?

I MUST KNOW WHY YOU ARE SUCH AN ASSHOLE.

TELL ME.

Well, doesn't the Consult need to reduce the human population to 144,000 in order to shut-out the world and avoid damnation? It seems that the No-God was just on a path of destruction, going after the most populous areas. It was on its way to completing that, until it was destroyed on the fields of Mengedda. I don't think there was any special destination, just the quickest way to reduce the population.

but that was also the only way to lose. No one was giving birth. All the no god has to do is wait and they would gain everything.

That makes sense and never thought about it that way.

Ah, but that’s on the short list of Stuff We Don’t Get. The No-God by its very existence would kill mankind within a span of two or three generations. The only souled population that could oppose this are the immortal Nonmen. So why attack Trysë and Sauglish instead of Cil-Aujas and Istherebinth?

Ah, but thats on the short list of Stuff We Dont Get. The No-God by its very existence would kill mankind within a span of two or three generations. The only souled population that could oppose this are the immortal Nonmen. So why attack Trysë and Sauglish instead of Cil-Aujas and Istherebinth?

Maybe just for vengeance sake......Shauritas wanted to give a lil payback? But, after SJD pointed that out to me, why indeed would the No-God continue to head into the Three-Seas? Overconfidence? Or is it something they needed (Shimeh?), as SJA suggested?

The Consult summoned the No-God. We know absolutely nothing about their ability to control it. And given their shaky scientific abilities, it seems quite possible that they would conjure up a superweapon only to find that they couldn't keep it fully under control.

Shae: Hey Aurang, buddy, you installed the ocular return unit in the NG before you let him out of the garage right?

Aurang: That was the giant cock? Yeah, of course. I put three extras on just to be safe.

Shae: No, this was more like, uh, eyeballs and stuff so it can see what it's doing.

Aurang: ...uh... cock?

Shae: So--

Aurang: --giant cock.

Shae: We're so fucked.

Shae: Hey Aurang, buddy, you installed the ocular return unit in the NG before you let him out of the garage right?

Aurang: That was the giant cock? Yeah, of course. I put three extras on just to be safe.

Shae: No, this was more like, uh, eyeballs and stuff so it can see what it's doing.

Shae: So...how confident are we that the NG is invulnerable?

Mek: Absolutely, unless they have any of those laser weapons.

Shae: And all those weapons are accounted for, right?

(cricket cricket)

Mek: What? I was busy killing one of my relatives that day.

Shae: I can't believe I joined this team.

Looking at the map of Eärwa, one thing that struck me was how far away the plains of Mengedda (where the No-God died) are from Golgotterath. Why would the whirlwind make it all the away there just to ask the question? And assuming that the Consult wanted him to remain hidden, what were they doing the entire time while he was ‘walking’?

Is it possible that the No-God was actually going somewhere? As in, there’s a place on the map that he needed to get for some reason - like Shimeh?

Obviously he was headed to kyudea, to ascend.

Uh, don't assume the NG 'attacked' Trysë and Sauglish.

He may have just gone in that direction and with sranc that just followed him around, one thing lead to another.

It doesn't solve why the NG moved, but retracting the 'attack' motivation to a 'might have attacked or might have just roved' motivation might help unravel the mystery. Scooby dooby doo!

Aurang: ...uh... cock?

Shae: So--

Aurang: --giant cock.

Shae: We're so fucked.

oh, +like100.

Also what drove it to move at all, given it's pretty clueless the rest of the time? Previously it was hunkered down for the brief number of years it'd take for the human race to go extinct.

What makes you think that it was "clueless" most of the time? He controlled the Sranc and Bashrag and Wracu forces during the Apocalypse, which destroyed the North. That wasn't random, he was making military decisions that the Consult followed, as Bakker said directly,

The Chorae Hoard is how Sakarpus managed to survive the First Apocalypse. The No-God circumvented it, saving his limited sorcerous resources to overcome the South.

He must have had some incentive to do all of this. (Unless Bakker meant 'Consult' instead of 'No-God', and he said that deliberately to fool the reader.)

But I agree that we don't really know enough to speculate about why he appeared in Mengedda. We don't really know that he was killed with the Herring Spear - it's unlikely, though. We don't even know that he 'died' at all, as that last Dream was altered by Seswatha.

There's one thing that might be a clue, from Aurang in WP,

Who could blame it for indulging in nostalgia? To be here again after millennia, at the place where it had almost happened, where Men and Nonmen had almost flickered out forever. Almost. Alas...

What did he mean by this? That it had 'almost happened' on Mengedda? Is it,

1. That the battle with Anaxophus was humanity's final effort? If only the Consult won there they would have succeeded in shutting the world against the Outside? Because if that's the case then it makes the No-God's appearance all the more suspicious. At the last moment, just when the Consult - and himself - are about to win, he appears and ruins everything. Did he do that on purpose?

2. Or is it that something was supposed to happen on Mengedda? The No-God's appearance was not against the Consult's wishes. They needed him there for that something to happen. Whatever it is. But this implies that the No-God waiting for humans to die out was not enough for the Consult to achieve their ultimate goal.

Here’s another idea: the No-God feeds on souls.

This is consistent with the long line of wretches that file into a golden room in Akka’s dreams as Nay-Cayuti.

After some years, the pool of souls close to Golgotterath runs out, and the No-God gets the munchies and must needs be set free, to roam after some treats, lest he run out of juice and powers down.

Wherever souls are pooled (cities, armies), he will be drawn. So Seswatha can assemble a huge host at Mengedda and wait for dread Mog-Pharau to come and feast. (He’ll get sidetracked and eat a few cities on His way.)

When he comes, take out laser weapon. Point. Click.

I like this idea because it explains why you need a big host at Mengedda. (Otherwise it would make more sense to wait in ambush somewhere.)

Wherever souls are pooled (cities, armies), he will be drawn. So Seswatha can assemble a huge host at Mengedda and wait for dread Mog-Pharau to come and feast. (Hell get sidetracked and eat a few cities on His way.)

Why does he need to appear in person on the battlefield to feed on those souls? He never had to do that before when all the cities and armies of the north were destroyed. And if Trysë and Sauglish were merely 'in his way', as someone else suggested, why did he command his armies to go all the way east to Akksersia and Myclai before going back and then south to the Three-Seas?

Uh, don't assume the NG 'attacked' Trysë and Sauglish.

He may have just gone in that direction and with sranc that just followed him around, one thing lead to another.

The No-God was not even with them when those cities were attacked. The only time he showed himself was years afterwards in Mengedda. The entire North was destroyed by the Consult, save Sakarpus and Atrithau, without the No-God being seen by anyone.

is there any textual authority for the proposition that NG is the actual command & control of the consult military, as opposed to a biological WMD and logistical communication device that networks all of the individuated weapons of the various weapon races so that they flawlessly act as one pursuant to coordinated strategy?

Archived