Bakker XXXIII: When One Thread Dies One Must Learn To Love Another

bakkerfans

If we assume the No-God was not impaired by water or other obstacles and was proceeding in a straight line, it looks like it was either headed straight for Shimeh, or (moving the line a little further east, the scale of the map makes it hard to pick out where Mengedda is) out to sea near Cironj. Cironj appears to be another one of these random impact sites from the maps, so it's possible there's something important there.

Rereading the penultimate scene in TTT, the No-God appears to have immobilised Anaxophus and forced him to repeat whatever it's saying. On that basis it seems unlikely he could grab the Heron Spear and laser the thing to death, and in fact the cart he's standing on gets tossed over as the whirlwind hits it as the memory ends. Unless some cliched shit like, "the fall brought him to his senses" happened, it seems doubtful that Anaxophus actually used the Heron Spear on it (I'm probably forgetting, is there some reason that Seswatha couldn't use it himself?).

One crazy thought: the No-God addresses Achamian by name (not Seswatha) as the flashback ends. It's likely that this is a result of Achamian waking up and confusing nightmare with reality, or perhaps the everyone who saw the No-God heard it addressing them by their own name in their heads and that's true of the Mandate even in the flashbacks. Totally batshit possibility: the No-God was aware of someone from the future looking at it through Seswetha's eyes and was aware of its own fate, and did something to avoid it? This may explain why Achamian has conflicting memories of the battle at Mengedda, as it was something that has changed.

Unless some cliched shit like, "the fall brought him to his senses" happened, it seems doubtful that Anaxophus actually used the Heron Spear on it

The NG was not killed with the HS. Or at least I hope he wasn’t. It would be extremely shitty writing, tbh. That here is the entity that could end the entire world, but oh, there just happens to be a laser gun that you can shoot and it kills him, lucky for us.

If we assume the No-God was not impaired by water or other obstacles and was proceeding in a straight line, it looks like it was either headed straight for Shimeh,

You're also assuming Earwa is flat. Someone with more energy ought to use the known distances/scale on the map along with an estimated size of the planet, and assuming the map is a projection corrected for longitudinal/latitudinal accuracy, figure out the best path for the No-God to take from Golgotterath to Shimeh. I guess the distance is short enough it doesn't deviate much from a flat-Earwa straight line, but it's probably going over the mountains and through the Kyranae plains.

You're also assuming Earwa is flat. Someone with more energy ought to use the known distances/scale on the map along with an estimated size of the planet, and assuming the map is a projection corrected for longitudinal/latitudinal accuracy, figure out the best path for the No-God to take from Golgotterath to Shimeh. I guess the distance is short enough it doesn't deviate much from a flat-Earwa straight line, but it's probably going over the mountains and through the Kyranae plains.

The No-God 'strode' the earth for ten years, I seem to remember. I bet it wandered around, contributing to the destruction of the various cities of the north before drifting south.

I am devastated. I had always imagined the map as a Mercator projection. My life is ruined.

eta: oh never mind i just reread this. i was worried for a minute.

If we assume the No-God was not impaired by water or other obstacles and was proceeding in a straight line, it looks like it was either headed straight for Shimeh, or (moving the line a little further east, the scale of the map makes it hard to pick out where Mengedda is) out to sea near Cironj. Cironj appears to be another one of these random impact sites from the maps, so it's possible there's something important there.

Rereading the penultimate scene in TTT, the No-God appears to have immobilised Anaxophus and forced him to repeat whatever it's saying. On that basis it seems unlikely he could grab the Heron Spear and laser the thing to death, and in fact the cart he's standing on gets tossed over as the whirlwind hits it as the memory ends. Unless some cliched shit like, "the fall brought him to his senses" happened, it seems doubtful that Anaxophus actually used the Heron Spear on it (I'm probably forgetting, is there some reason that Seswatha couldn't use it himself?).

One crazy thought: the No-God addresses Achamian by name (not Seswatha) as the flashback ends. It's likely that this is a result of Achamian waking up and confusing nightmare with reality, or perhaps the everyone who saw the No-God heard it addressing them by their own name in their heads and that's true of the Mandate even in the flashbacks. Totally batshit possibility: the No-God was aware of someone from the future looking at it through Seswetha's eyes and was aware of its own fate, and did something to avoid it? This may explain why Achamian has conflicting memories of the battle at Mengedda, as it was something that has changed.

Further crackpottery: Mandate "dreams" are not actually Seswatha's memories, but rather a form of time travel during which Mandate sorcerers wear Seswatha as a kind of avatar, not re-living but living the past concurrently with the future. So the "second" apocalypse is really the first... and the third and et cetera, each time happening again and again, sometimes with better outcomes (NG is destroyed by HS) and sometimes with worse ones (NG is not destroyed by HS) which affect the present timeline. Rewriting history each time.

Totally batshit possibility: the No-God was aware of someone from the future looking at it through Seswetha's eyes and was aware of its own fate, and did something to avoid it? This may explain why Achamian has conflicting memories of the battle at Mengedda, as it was something that has changed.

I like! After all, the gods are supposed to have some kinda hyper time perception - and isn't the no god made from a dead god?

Even more fun, if it's percieving things through Akka and altering the timeline, in the push and pull of perception in that crazy academics head, Akka has a pinch of the power of a god.

and isn't the no god made from a dead god?

I don’t think so.

The Consult spent a thousand years killing people and trapping their souls inside the Carapace. The Choric script on the Carapace makes it a kind of barrier that prevents souls from returning to the Outside upon death.

It’s like how Yatwer was created when all the Non-women died, except the No-God was kept in the world using the Aporos.

So the no god is like a kidney stone and the host is trying to expel it, and the inchies triggered a self destruct when they figured out what was happening?

So Shimeh is Eärwa’s anus?

You know that would’ve made a lot more sense if Kellhus pulled the Heart out in Shimeh. But Caraskand isn’t that far away. Maybe that’s the direction the NG was going.

Archived