Bakker XXXIII: When One Thread Dies One Must Learn To Love Another

bakkerfans

Can’t it be both?

Coordinated with who? Shae and Co.? They are ‘his servants’, he doesn’t take orders from them.

When you're the servant of an idiot, you're pretty much in charge. The no god is a kind of Bertie Wooster, it seems from how it speaks.

TELL ME, JEEVES, WHAT DO YOU SEE, OLD CHAP?

I would guess the No-God is about average intelligence. Not too bright, not too dumb. Kind of boring to hang out with.

Why does he flop around on a battlefield asking inane questions to...who the fuck knows who he's asking? The enemy?

That's not how you play civilisation!

As for the servant's part, I don't see the fact that they invented the No-God meaning that couldn't be his "servants." There is a reasonable argument that we (as humans) invented God (and religion) and call ourselves "His Servants" and so the parallel wouldn't be unprecedented.

I don't disagree that they made him or did something to make him rise, what I don't think is that he's just another Tekne creation like the Sranc and Skin-spies. Only because he's far more than that.

I admit that all my ideas have the very strong reek of crackpot though.

I think you're one of the most reasonable people in this thread, actually. Everyone else is on record saying far more outlandish things than this, trust me.

Really they just seem to follow the NG (and occasionally repeat his words). That doesn't take any sort of intelligence for it to happen (well, except for a bee hive swarm kind of int)

I don't think I said anything about his intelligence. Besides that, while we don't really have much info about him, we do know that what you keep repeating about the Sranc 'following him around' and occasionally 'repeating his words' isn't true.

I'll content myself with the conclusion of that story in the Grimdark magazine (can't recall the title off the top of my head). Anything else is gravy. I just realized that I started reading the series in 2005. Seems so long ago, yet not...

Too bad The Knife of Many Hands turned out kind of meh. Bakker did say back in December that the book is almost finished and he'll be sending it out in January. A few weeks ago I think he said that the book should be finished 'any day now.' Hopefully there is an excerpt coming soon. Soon as in around three or four months.

When you're the servant of an idiot, you're pretty much in charge. The no god is a kind of Bertie Wooster, it seems from how it speaks.

TELL ME, JEEVES, WHAT DO YOU SEE, OLD CHAP?

NG: Errr, Jeeves, dig into the kippers if you please, I need the old bean firing on all cylinders. Who's a chap got to bloody well ring around here to find a mirror? And could you top me off with a few more of those soul thingamugummies? I'm panting like hearts for cool butts in the streams, er... how's the old gag go?

I'm not stating this as fact, but a thought occurred to me. Aurang is known as the No-God's Horde General, correct? So, IMO, that seems to suggest that Aurang or someone was either taking direct orders from the No-God or someone (Shauritis?) has some means of communicating with the No-God, right? From what little info we get about the First Apocalypse, its seems to suggest, at least to me, that the No-God was directing the war against the denizen of Eärwa.

I'm now picturing the No God as the intruding sea lion.

Seswatha: Man, the Consult is bad, but you know who is really horrible? The No-God.

Anophaxus: Don't say that out loud!

No God: TELL ME WHAT DO YOU SEE

Anophaxus: now you've done it

No God: I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE

Seswatha: Go away!

No God: THERE IS NO NEED TO RAISE YOUR VOICE

No God: I CANNOT SEE

No God: WHAT CAUSE YOU HAVE TO DISLIKE ME

Anophaxus: just ignore him

No God: HOW DARE YOU CALL ME SEXIST JUST BECAUSE I MAKE BIRTHS STILLBORN

Seswatha:You're in the plains of Mengedda!

No God: YOU DISLIKE ME BECAUSE YOU DISLIKE THE TRUTHS I SPEAK

Seswatha: Fuck this, I'm shooting him

No God: VERY WELL WE WILL RESUME THIS WHEN AN ANASURIMBOR RETURNS

I don't think I said anything about his intelligence. Besides that, while we don't really have much info about him, we do know that what you keep repeating about the Sranc 'following him around' and occasionally 'repeating his words' isn't true.

It is known.

Though the repeating part is banally true - there are passages where the sranc are described as clawing their eyes out in some cases and shrieking his words in massive chorus. In fact I'm not sure the NG ever talks directly, rather than just through his unholy choir.

I don't have the magic search powers of a kindle, but I think you'll find that's exactly what's happening in regards to 'repeating his words', even if you don't buy the 'following around' part. Of all the crack pot and heart from ass stuff...the idea of the sranc repeating the words in choir is way out there/can't be true?? Activate search button - and tell me - what do you see...

'Repeating his words' implies that the No-God spoke the words initially and then the Sranc repeated after him. When, in fact, he spoke the words directly through the Sranc.

Anaxophus however seems to have been simply repeating the No-God's words.

I don't disagree that they made him or did something to make him rise, what I don't think is that he's just another Tekne creation like the Sranc and Skin-spies. Only because he's far more than that.I think you're one of the most reasonable people in this thread, actually. Everyone else is on record saying far more outlandish things than this, trust me.

Yea you and H. are the only reasonable people around here......? What the hell does that mean? This has basically turned into a speculation thread. In hindsight after TUC, 99% of the shit said here will be outlandish. What, you think these things can be presented in a manner that's not outlandish? We're speculating on a fantasy series, by its very nature outlandish.

Yea you and H. are the only reasonable people around here......?

I'm sorry... but do you have a citation for that? I said that he is one of the most reasonable persons in here (when it comes to speculation). As H is not an alt of mine I'm not sure why you extended that statement as to include me. Or how you went from 'one of the most' to 'only'.

Of course, I was just being nice, as it goes without saying that I'm the only reasonable person in here - as you know.

As for the outlandish, yes, I can go back and give you examples of everyone else in the thread saying more outlandish things than what he said about the No-God on the last page - it wouldn't be too hard.

Not particularly, Trisk. The word Psukhe means soul in greek - or mind, depending on context. It's where we get the word psyche. So they're not that similar phonetically either (unless you're pronouncing psukhe as 'psych!' which seems odd).

In Dune (though after Herbert's death) Suk historically referred to a marketplace (souk, Arabic) which is more likely as far as the etymology, given Herbert's lean towards a very Arabic-influenced universe.

'Repeating his words' implies that the No-God spoke the words initially and then the Sranc repeated after him.

And you're implying it also implies a duration between the two speakings of some number of seconds?

I wont go into it further as I may end up saying something else who's implication matters more than what I'm actually saying.

No god inverse fire black heaven inchoroi.

Seems like they're trying to carve out a niche for themselves literally/metaphorically on the obverse of religion.

Is the word inchoroi a self declaring negative like no god or inverse fire or black heaven? What Is A choroi?

Archived