Bakker XXXIII: When One Thread Dies One Must Learn To Love Another

bakkerfans

This thread has jumped the sranc.

I think you meant to say that the adaptation thread in Ent jumped the Bashrag.

But as far as Bakkake goes, this is a genius move. A thread to discuss a hypothetical tv show?

Hopefully that will become a perpetual thread like this one.

hread has jumped the sranc.

larry, i think that just created a topos. i feel the hells sucking their way in now.

the solitary point of RSB discussion these days is to metastasize RSB discussion to every possible destination along the last known trajectory. is there any other speculative fiction discussion so invasive as this one, erupting from the outside into the world through whichever topoi become available?

Looking at the map of Eärwa, one thing that struck me was how far away the plains of Mengedda (where the No-God died) are from Golgotterath. Why would the whirlwind make it all the away there just to ask the question? And assuming that the Consult wanted him to remain hidden, what were they doing the entire time while he was ‘walking’?

Is it possible that the No-God was actually going somewhere? As in, there’s a place on the map that he needed to get for some reason - like Shimeh?

i love this so much! No-God looking to preempt Sejenus in some way? destroy the place where a person might ascend? ascend itself? maybe it was heading for the Kyudean mansion and whatever awesome thing might be hidden there? maybe headed towards Iothaih to destroy Yatwer's labyrinths? headed for the Carathay to have a mystical experience and see like Fane?

We don’t even know how - or if - the Dûnyain age. There’s some peculiarities regarding Dûnyain genetics. Take for examples the fact that Kellhus looks like his ancestor from 2000 years ago and, according to Nayu, he is a mold of his ‘father’.

My theory is that the Dûnyain have an equivalent of an Axlotl tank (as some have speculated), which is in truth the body of a dead Cûnuroi woman, preserved by Nil’giccas and later given to Celmomas during the Apocalypse, who installed it in Ishuäl.

Basically, this ‘woman’ has been given birth to Dûnyain men and woman for the past two thousand years. It’s also probable that all the women that she gave birth to were either killed or - more likely - considered defectives and used in training.

i love this so much! No-God looking to preempt Sejenus in some way? destroy the place where a person might ascend? ascend itself? maybe it was heading for the Kyudean mansion and whatever awesome thing might be hidden there?

It’s not necessary that he was consciously heading towards some goal, it could be that he is being metaphysically pulled towards something whether he wants it or not. It could be that that’s the cause of the whirlwind.

Given that Eärwa is the world people thought they lived in in the past, it is probably the center of the universe in a literal sense, or close to the center. According to the glossary, the Nail of Heaven forms the axis from which all other stars revolve.

It's a two-ended vacuum, catching souls of the dying and sucking them in, while also grabbing any souls coming into the world (hence all the dead babies). It still seems to keep them trapped somehow even after it's dead, considering Mengedda.

That sort of goes with the "Disenchantment" theory that Sci-2 proposed. Split off souls from new human beings, and the New No-God sucks up the souls of pre-existing humans while the new ones are simply born without them and become Modern Humans. Mimara's kid would be the symbolic first soulless human baby born alive.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think the No-God grabs new souls. It probably just "fills the void", sort of like how the pregnancies of women with the Judging Eye all show up as still-born because God's watching through them or something. And since you need a soul to live at this point if you're human . . .

I just noticed something in the TTT appendix that seems strange.

Nau-Cayuti's birth and death year are given: (2019-2040)

But CC's death is not (nor is his birth, but that true for all Nonmen), so his is listed: (? - ?)

So we see CC's death "on screen" as it were at least in the entry of the appendix with Nin-janjin striking off his head. And we don't see Nau-Cayuti's death at all.

Huh?

CC is Cujara Cinmoi?

"YOU MUST TELL ME, WHAT DO YOU SEE?"

"A spotless Mengedda plain!"

"FINALLY, SOME RESPECT!"

lol oh god!

btw Reddit user Wolfdrop made some awesome Earwan heraldry: http://imgur.com/a/s7zX1

i note that Mog was not headed for Eanna, so maybe not a big population center

@ SJA - wouldn't it be weird if Kellhus was simply the original bastard but [insert mechanism] made him forget and gave him power-ups; the dunyain just need him to believe that he's the product of a breeding experiment? idk why :(

I just noticed something in the TTT appendix that seems strange.

Nau-Cayuti's birth and death year are given: (2019-2040)

But CC's death is not (nor is his birth, but that true for all Nonmen), so his is listed: (? - ?)

So we see CC's death "on screen" as it were at least in the entry of the appendix with Nin-janjin striking off his head. And we don't see Nau-Cayuti's death at all.

can't it just be that today's scholars just don't know the year it occurred?

Keep in mind that the dating system used by humans, the Year-of-the-Tusk, starts with the Breaking of the Gates, which happened some 500-1000 years after CC's death - before the Five Tribes even came to Eärwa, so they have no first hand records of any of those events.

The story of the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars, as recounted in the glossary, comes from the Isuphiryas (there are phrases like "the Isuphiryas does not go into detail" and "the chroniclers of the Isuphiryas claim..." etc). And apparently, that book does not date any of the events retold in it. In fact, as far as we know, the Nonmen did not even have a dating system.

Granted, that last point seems a bit unlikely, so let's just assume that whatever dating system they had, humans have no knowledge of it, no knowledge that we as readers know of anyway. (Unless the Nonmen had some other way of keeping track :dunno: )

Why does he flop around on a battlefield asking inane questions to...who the fuck knows who he's asking? The enemy?

That's not how you play civilisation!

Given that the No-God is most probably a huge biomechanical gunship (the whirlwind being caused by his rotorblade(s), and armed with biological/chemical weapons), the sight of him must be so incomprehensible ands frightening to Earwans that their minds are filled with the question "WHAT AM I SEEING HERE?!" rather than the No-God asking them the question directly. That's how I interpret it anyway.

Given that the No-God is most probably a huge biomechanical gunship (the whirlwind being caused by his rotorblade(s), and armed with biological/chemical weapons), the sight of him must be so incomprehensible ands frightening to Earwans that their minds are filled with the question "WHAT AM I SEEING HERE?!" rather than the No-God asking them the question directly. That's how I interpret it anyway.

I don't know, the All Caps questions seem to come from the mouths of the Sranc and the Bashrag, basically all the Inchie/Consult creations. If it was the minds of Earwans asking the questions, then why aren't they asking questions too?

How is it that the Inchoroi all have dicks, anyway? Were they initially a race that had two gender, male and female, for reproduction but then developed a new method of reproducing themselves that did not require that? If so, what happened to all the women?

I wonder if they had their own womb plague when they made themselves immortal before they modded the cunoroi? Or were the dicks just part of the grafts?

eta: crackpot: immortality is some function of having another soul connected to you that is dead in the outside, by killing off half the race the inchies have assigned each living person an 'sustaining' soul in the outside.

so maybe: kelmomas is immortal because of sammi

the judging eye power comes from having a dead soul connected to the mother

kellhus is actually immortal because of serwe and the circumfixion

the chorae are a link to an absence of a soul in the outside, a hollow womb, that suck a sorceror into the outside immediately

not sure of the mechanics of any of this but seems like there could be a crackpotted connection.

moe's sacrifice gave kellhus some kind of superpower

eta: crackpot: immortality is some function of having another soul connected to you that is dead in the outside, by killing off half the race the inchies have assigned each living person an 'sustaining' soul in the outside.

so maybe: kelmomas is immortal because of sammi

the judging eye power comes from having a dead soul connected to the mother

kellhus is actually immortal because of serwe and the circumfixion

the chorae are a link to an absence of a soul in the outside, a hollow womb, that suck a sorceror into the outside immediately

not sure of the mechanics of any of this but seems like there could be a crackpotted connection.

moe's sacrifice gave kellhus some kind of superpower

Love it, finally a satisfying explanation for "if you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

I don't know, the All Caps questions seem to come from the mouths of the Sranc and the Bashrag, basically all the Inchie/Consult creations. If it was the minds of Earwans asking the questions, then why aren't they asking questions too?

I don't remember it being worded like that. IIRC Sranc would just start to howl and tear their eyes out when he appeared. Seeing as they are doglike creatures and perhaps gifted with sensitive hearing similar to dogs, the sound the No-God makes (remember: rotorblades) might drive them crazy. The Sranc's howling combined with the NG's own ear-shattering noise and his ABC weapons could well induce all kinds of hallucinations in people.

Archived