Aussies LXIV - Invasion Day Edition

The Winged Shadow

If they're so languid they can't win without a certified dickhead being leader of the Liberal party then that's their fucking problem. I can only see this as a good thing, we no longer have a dickhead PM and probably a significantly less obnoxious cabinet. 

Oh definitely. Labor has plenty of viable candidate (Albo for one), so Shorten is definitely a self inflicted wound and they have no one else to blame but themselves.

As far as I can understand the Labor party is its own bad news. No need to blame their opposition for that. 

No blaming Liberals. Just a statement that Labor party is in trouble, which they are.

Edit: for the election that is. Shorten is a major dud.

I saw a recent interview with Penny where she was pretty adament she didn't want if. I mean they all say that but in this case I tend to believe her, she was mostly talking about how unfair it would be to her family to drag them into that.

As long as she stays in the senate I guess we can assume she hasn't changed her mind.

Both Albo and Plibs or for that matter just about everyone else in the party are more likable than Shorten but is there any real chance of changing leader under Kevin's new rules?

He hasn't actually 'refused' he just still hasn't done it and Mal can't be sworn in until he does.

I assume he will after this statement but it's all hilarious anyway.

Abbott:

Abbott saying trade agreements, infrastructure spending, probes into union corruption are among his achievements. "The boats have stopped, and with the boats stopped, we've been better able to display our compassion to refugees."

"The nature of politics has changed in the past decade. We have more polls and more commentary than ever before. Mostly sour, bitter, character assassination. Poll-driven panic has produced a revolving door prime ministership which can't be good for our country."

He's blaming the media now. He's a disgrace and I'm so happy that he's gone.

He still doesn't get it does he?

Turnbull, in question time, this afternoon, on gay marriage:

Historically this issue has been resolved, issues of this type has been resolved, in parliament by free vote and the honourable member is correct in referring to that. Another way of dealing with this – another way of dealing with this is by a vote of the people. And the Coalition, our government, has decided that the resolution of this matter will be determined by a vote of the people, all the people, via a plebiscite, to be held after the next election.

There is no greater virtue in a free vote here or a plebiscite. They are each means of resolving the matter - one, I grant you is more expensive but, nonetheless, it is a very legitimate and democratic way of dealing with it.

This is his first step into dishonesty as a PM.

A plebiscite is not binding on parliament.  Even when there is a clear majority could vote for marriage equality there is no obligation on the sitting government to pass it into law.

I think the opposition should be asking him for a written guarantee that if they do have a plebiscite on the issue and the result favours equality that the Liberals will pass the legislation (if they are still in power).

Totally trivial thoughts on our Labor and Liberal deputies: 1) this must be so confusing for international observers, 2) what are they doing, playing scissors paper rock?

Not so trivial thought: Prime Ministerial candidates 2021?

Nah, Libs will never give it to Bishop - they are too sexist.  Plibersek I think will have a shot at some point, the timing depends though...if Turnbull gets them a second term then I see it being either Plibersek, Bowen or Albo in 2019 and likely to win - when she gets a chance after that if it's not her becomes too hard to predict.

ETA:

Turnbull, in question time, this afternoon, on gay marriage:

This is his first step into dishonesty as a PM.

A plebiscite is not binding on parliament.  Even when there is a clear majority could vote for marriage equality there is no obligation on the sitting government to pass it into law.

I think the opposition should be asking him for a written guarantee that if they do have a plebiscite on the issue and the result favours equality that the Liberals will pass the legislation (if they are still in power).

Given how easily the marriage equality side were suckered into accepting the plebiscite in the first place I actually wouldn't want that, as the anti-equality side will try use that concession to wrangle a similar "if it gets defeated you need to stop pushing it" promise from Labor, and fuck that idea. The Australian people are too easy to scare and the campaign is going to be nasty enough as it is, with the opening salvo attacking high school kids from the Telegraph. The plebiscite is a bad thing full stop.

Given how easily the marriage equality side were suckered into accepting the plebiscite in the first place I actually wouldn't want that, as the anti-equality side will try use that concession to wrangle a similar "if it gets defeated you need to stop pushing it" promise from Labor, and fuck that idea. The Australian people are too easy to scare and the campaign is going to be nasty enough as it is, with the opening salvo attacking high school kids from the Telegraph. The plebiscite is a bad thing full stop.

I totally agree.  Especially because the pollies will delay it as long as they can.

It's interesting how little this actually changes (if not surprising given the slim margin and MT's history with the right), the presentation of the policy agenda will be less aggressively stupid but aside from some economic tweaks (likely of a hyper-degregulatory nature) the Liberal party will be taking Tony Abbott's agenda to the next election.

Abbott was just a puppet with zero ideas of his own you could tell that he was given a message to stay on every time he spoke. I for one am sick of all this faction bs in our political parties unfortunately nothing is likely to change as there are very few of the morons who actually realise they are there to serve the people not themselves.

The parties all follow the same plan if they arent in power shout down any idea the ones in power have and there is no genuine leadership to be seen. Turnbull is the first in a while that could be that sort of person but he wont be allowed to because of the way politics here works

Archived