Aussies LXIV - Invasion Day Edition

The Winged Shadow

Gryph hasn't been around for a couple of years. I thought I had his number somewhere but seemed to have lost it :frown5:. Will try to follow up on that one; not sure if anyone has him on FB?

Gryph hasn't been around for a couple of years. I thought I had his number somewhere but seemed to have lost it :frown5:. Will try to follow up on that one; not sure if anyone has him on FB?

He's on FB.  Unlike some I could mention, like YOU. :p

I know he had some account issues during the password fail a while back.

Sorry to only come here to bitch about politics, but just for my own clarity...Abbott feels that ideally the courts will be a vehicle to further government policy, and the ABC will be a mechanism to cheer-lead government achievements? That doesn't sound at all questionable. Any project bringing $21 billion in investment can hardly be expected to comply with pesky "legal" requirements. The courts ought to be aware of that and rule accordingly. Presumably if they get confused there is someone in the Prime Minister's office who would be more than happy to tell them how they should decide.

Pretty annoying outcome yesterday. Looks like we are still going to be discussing this issue in a few years' time, instead of just being done with it and moving on.

I am also bemused at Abbott's backflip on a referendum/plebiscite. It wasn't that long ago (after the Irish decision) that he dismissed that idea out of hand.

So apparently a company is trying to trademark (I believe) the name Waltzing Matilda.
Saw a post by Dick Smith about it. Here's a link to the article.
It's a bit cheeky. Not even sure if TM the name means they can restrict the use of the actual song or educational venues to do with the song, it's history and place in Australian culture. Or claim money for anything more than the use of the name, with in the context of their business.

I also realise copyright has a use by date. But surely there are circumstances where certain things are out of bounds?
Where something is iconic enough to become public property and not something that can be claimed by a company and in turn make them money.

Pretty annoying outcome yesterday. Looks like we are still going to be discussing this issue in a few years' time, instead of just being done with it and moving on.

I am also bemused at Abbott's backflip on a referendum/plebiscite. It wasn't that long ago (after the Irish decision) that he dismissed that idea out of hand.

I just don't want to live through the smear campaign that is now going to come as it becomes an electoral issue.

I live in a conservative area with an mp that has backed marriage equality from the start. I know we'll be targetted (we were last election and it was less of an issue then) and I really hate to think what the kids are going to see or hear as a result now they are old enough to understand.

But hey its all about protecting the children isn't it?

The whole argument seems to be. "Won't someone think of the Children!" I wish they would take their own advice.
I want my kids to grow up in a world of acceptance and understanding. For themselves and everyone around them.

I can only imagine this ad campaign will give rise to a large amount of negative judgmental discourse that will bleed in to school yards and inform innocent minds to skewed out looks.

Sure free speech - double edge swords and all that. Still makes me sad.

ETA just to be clear I think these are advertisements for the continuation of the denial of rights to citizens of this country and shouldn't be allowed. But the words "free speech" are being used to defend it.

And while i appreciate the right to free speech (though the definition seems to be fluid) in this case I don't agree and it makes me sad.

There remains an absurd degree of cynicism in the anti gay marriage argument. As Penny Wong seems to be repeatedly pointing out, gay people can already adopt, they already raise children, any affect that gay parents might have on children is already occurring (setting aside for a moment that repeated studies show that there is no harm to children whatsoever from same sex parents). Gay marriage has literally no baring on the kind of "won't you think of the children" stupidity that is being levelled against it, and I'm sure that most of the levellers know that. I probably ought to stop being surprised by the degree of cynicism coming out of this government by now.

I actually think the anti gay marriage ads should be allowed. I just think that people are entitled to express their distaste with the ads and that if the networks feel enough that either a) they don't want to run the ads because they find them objectionable, or b) they don't want to run the ads because they're likely to alienate a large whack of their viewers then their is nothing wrong with that. It certainly isn't a breach of anyone's right to free speech.

Our country is being run by troglodytes at present.
I don't understand how people can argue against basic human rights / equality.
But then again enslaved people were always treated as less than human too.

• 2 weeks later...
Well you see, they are struggling in the polls and Australians are very scared of brown people, they think it's the well they can go back to time and time again.

I actually think they are suffering from a form of the Romney delusion at this point and don't realise that it stopped working because they used it too blatantly and too often. Of course with an opposition scared to oppose any security related legislation in fear of being seen as weak I'm not sure the backlash will matter that much.

• 2 weeks later...
My favourite part of Abbott's announcement of the additional 12,000 refugee places was when he went ahead and gave himself a verbal pat on the back for being so generous. There are single towns in Germany that will be taking more than the entirety of our country.

Archived