Meanwhile, in Arya's milk...

Lord Cactus

I did some additional research, turns out Nightshade is a real poisonous plant, symptoms of poisoning include diarrhea, stomach pain, vomiting and sweating. It has an intense taste, described by some as bitter and by some as very sweet, so if somebody was to use it, they'd have to conceal the taste somehow. Spicy honeyed locusts, for example... So I bet that is what poisoned Strong Belwas.

Wolfsbane, also mentioned among Pycelle's poisons is said to induce extreme stomachache and extended privy time.

Then maybe that is what Tyrion put in Cersei's cup.

BTW, where is the effect of wolfsbane described?

Very interesting. Greycap is made from toadstool, I think we already saw it. It's probably made from the mushrooms Tyrion stowed away in his boot.

Interesting... According to the wiki, greycap is a common poison, so it's entirely possible Tyrion accidentally found some of the plant.

To summarize:

Greycap: possibly Tyrion, used at least some for Nurse, who knows how many remain

Nightshade: probably in the locusts Strong Belwas ate

Sweetsleep: Faceless man pool, Robert Arryn is treated with small quantity (hope there is no accident....)

Demon’s dance: open to speculation

Blindeye: in arya's milk

Widow’s blood: somebody was using it for Tywin

Wolfsbane: Tyrion put it in Cersei's cup

Basilisk venom: Jaqen gave it to Weese's dog

Tears of Lys: Jon Arryn was killed with it

Interesting collection. Wonder if deamon's dance is what Jaqen and Arya had put on the deadly coins.

Weren't the tears of Lys also put into Joffrey's wine?

That poison was called the Strangler.

BTW, where is the effect of wolfsbane described?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aconitum

To summarize:

Greycap: possibly Tyrion, used at least some for Nurse, who knows how many remain

Nightshade: probably in the locusts Strong Belwas ate

Sweetsleep: Faceless man pool, Robert Arryn is treated with small quantity (hope there is no accident....)

Demon’s dance: open to speculation

Blindeye: in arya's milk

Widow’s blood: somebody was using it for Tywin

Wolfsbane: Tyrion put it in Cersei's cup

Basilisk venom: Jaqen gave it to Weese's dog

Tears of Lys: Jon Arryn was killed with it

Not convinced on Wolfsbane yet. I think that poison is to dangerous to mess with and feeding it to Cersei. Although I don't really recall her symptoms. If she experienced all of these:

he initial signs are gastrointestinal including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. This is followed by a sensation of burning, tingling, and numbness in the mouth and face, and of burning in the abdomen

than I could get on board.

Interesting collection. Wonder if deamon's dance is what Jaqen and Arya had put on the deadly coins.

It seems like both Pate and the old man died of heartfailure. We have no description of the demon's dance's effect, but I can imagine that a poison that makes the heart pound so fast that it bursts could probably be dubbed demon's dance by a poisoner with a more poetic soul. Plus, in the case of Pate it was an instant kill. That to denotes a fantasy poison imo. I don't think there are many real life poisons that kill almost instantly.

However, I do think one poison will be used by Tyene in KL. It might fail of course, but it would be rather odd if neither Lady Nym or Tyene saw any action while they are there.

Not convinced on Wolfsbane yet. I think that poison is to dangerous to mess with and feeding it to Cersei. Although I don't really recall her symptoms. If she experienced all of these:

than I could get on board.

We don't get a description of her symptoms, just following:

He almost felt sorry for poisoning her.

It was the next morning as he broke his fast that her messenger arrived. The queen was indisposed and would not be able to leave her chambers. Not able to leave her privy, more like.

If we assume Tyrion used one of Pycelle's poisons, we only have Widow's blood and Wolfsbane that could cause her 'indisposition'. But Tywin didn't have a problem being present at Tyrion's trial, so I thought he was poisoned with something different than Cersei. Then again, maybe Tywin would have been 'indisposed' the next morning, he just didn't live long enough for us to know.

Were seeing everyone who is known for using poison, using poison. Lysa with the Tears of Lys, Oberyn with the Manticore Venom, Varys with the Widow's Blood. Women, Eunuchs, Dornishmen and Cravens. Now who's the craven that will use some and which will it be?

Early in ASOS, when Jaime, Brienne, and Cleos show up at the inn, Jaime gets a crossbow pulled on him, and he says "the crossbow is a coward's weapon." Tyrion used a crossbow to kill his father, and poisoned Nurse, potentially using greycap as pointed out in this thread. The idea has never crossed my mind before, and most likely never would have occurred to me if I had not started listening to ASOS earlier today, but... maybe Tyrion is the craven...?

Also, I think it's interesting that craven is the only one of the four types of poisoners that isn't easily spotted - it is pretty obvious who is a woman, who is an eunuch, and who is Dornish, but the only "craven" we are made blatantly aware of is Sam, and I personally think his craven status is debatable.

Here is my thread about the poisons in ASOIAF. My speculations are:

I think wolfsbane might have been used in the bolts Varys shot Kevan with and maybe the blades of Marsh and co.

The berries Dany ate were nightshade and that was the cause of her abortion.

Tywin was poisoned with a slightly modified Widow's Blood by Oberyn.

The poison Citadel used to kill the dragons off might be sweetsleep or something very similar.

Heart's Bane might be the poison Arya used to kill the man in ADwD. It might even be possible that Tytos was poisoned with the same poison by Tywin.

So, let's see what we have...

I think you are right, blindeye is what Arya has in her milk. Widow's blood is what poisoned Tywin. Basilisk venom is probably what we know as basilisk blood, the poison Jaqen used for Weese's dog, as Jon of the (Evil) dead pointed out. Jon Arryn died because of tears of Lys and his son Robert is treated with small doses of sweetsleep. The pool in the House of Black and White also has sweetsleep in the water.

So greycap, nightshade, deamon's dance and wolfsbane are left, unless one of them was in the poisonous locusts Belwas ate or on Arya's / Jaqen's coins.

Even then, at least two poisons from the list remain unused and I wonder when we'll see those in action...

Wolfsbane is an interesting name considering how many wolves we have running about.

Early in ASOS, when Jaime, Brienne, and Cleos show up at the inn, Jaime gets a crossbow pulled on him, and he says "the crossbow is a coward's weapon." Tyrion used a crossbow to kill his father, and poisoned Nurse, potentially using greycap as pointed out in this thread. The idea has never crossed my mind before, and most likely never would have occurred to me if I had not started listening to ASOS earlier today, but... maybe Tyrion is the craven...?

Also, I think it's interesting that craven is the only one of the four types of poisoners that isn't easily spotted - it is pretty obvious who is a woman, who is an eunuch, and who is Dornish, but the only "craven" we are made blatantly aware of is Sam, and I personally think his craven status is debatable.

His craven status is a fabrication. His father has called him that all of his life. Bran asks his father if you can be afraid and still be brave? Ned says that is the only time you can be brave. So, Sam is definitely brave as even though he is afraid all the time, he overcomes his fear when he needs to. He faced down and killed an Other. This took a bravery that has been unsurpassed in the story so far. Tyrion is devolving into an evil monster. He killed the singer and had him put in a bowl of brown. He murdered Nurse with poison mushroom even though he was already dying just to "pay his debt" He killed his father and Shae. He intends to kill Cersei. I cannot see him as a would be hero anymore. His dark side is taking over and I do not forget the reaction that all of the Stark wolves had when he was a Winterfell. Summer, Greywind and Shaggydog went after him and this has still not been explained. He was there to give Bran a gift, so what about Tyrion set the wolves off? They seem to sense the enemies of their owners or when their owners are in danger. Those wolves have sixth and seventh senses. Tyrion is evil and unless there is a 180 turn in his story arc, I have a hard time believing he is on any road to redemption.

I do not forget the reaction that all of the Stark wolves had when he was a Winterfell. Summer, Greywind and Shaggydog went after him and this has still not been explained.

Au contraire, it can be explained easily: the wolves were channeling the animosity of their masters, all of whom were disposed to dislike Tyrion at this stage. Though I agree that Tyrion has been to a very dark place, and I'm not convinced we've seen the worst yet.

Yeah, I could get behind Varys poisoning Tywin (without expecting Tyrion to go up there and wreck shit up, he isn't omniscient).

Very interesting. Greycap is made from toadstool, I think we already saw it. It's probably made from the mushrooms Tyrion stowed away in his boot.

EDIT: I also think that we might make a guess that Nightshade has been used to poison Strong Belwas: a quick wikipedia search yielded this tidbit: genius!

The poisoners used locusts to carry the poison, plus the whole setting was inspired by Ancient Rome (the pitfights are pretty much based on gladiatorial combat). We know GRRM has at least a passing knowledge of Roman History (the Unsullied's three spears, Quarth's three walls, the triarch decision, lock step legions of Old Ghis, Valyrian Road, the Nero quote in that Stannis chapter). He's also a big fan of I, Claudius. I wonder if Locusta is a character in that show. If she is, I'd call that as good as a confirmation for Nightshade.

Archived