[Book Spoliers]Will Trystane Martell be the TV show version of Young Griff?

Jon Icefyre

That, to me, doesn't make sense. As long as Drogo was alive Dany wasn't in any danger. Nobody was going to kill the wife of an incredibly powerful Khal. And as soon as Drogo died, Dany still wasn't in any danger. She would have been dragged back to be a crone, but nobody would have killed her.

There are more ways to die than by murder.

My take is he expected the climate, the hardship of living a Dothraki lifestyle and the violence of being raped every night by Khal Drogo to kill the "fearful furtive" child he knew.

He had no idea Dany had the internal strength to thrive among the Dothraki.

• 1 month later...

I proposed something similar awhile back, though I had Aegon/Trystane marrying Myrcella and using Dornish Law to claim them as King/Queen over Tommen since Myrcella is older.

But I really like your theory that Varys snuck a boy to Doran and convinced him it was Aegon, and Doran raised him and prepared him in the way JonCon raised Aegon.

What if Ellaria takes the role of Arianne in the sense that she tries to crown Myrcella to start a war against the Lannisters, after growing impatient with Doran for not doing anything to avenge Oberyn?

So then Doran stops it all (with Areo Hotah killing Bronn who takes the place of Arys), and eventually has to tell Ellaria about the Fire and Blood plot, but in this case it's to marry Trystane to Dany.

I proposed something similar awhile back, though I had Aegon/Trystane marrying Myrcella and using Dornish Law to claim them as King/Queen over Tommen since Myrcella is older.

But I really like your theory that Varys snuck a boy to Doran and convinced him it was Aegon, and Doran raised him and prepared him in the way JonCon raised Aegon.

What if Ellaria takes the role of Arianne in the sense that she tries to crown Myrcella to start a war against the Lannisters, after growing impatient with Doran for not doing anything to avenge Oberyn?

So then Doran stops it all (with Areo Hotah killing Bronn who takes the place of Arys), and eventually has to tell Ellaria about the Fire and Blood plot, but in this case it's to marry Trystane to Dany.

:agree: This. It would be awesome. True to the books in essence. But still full of surprises/interesting turns so it won't spoil tWoW exactly. If D&D do this, it could strike a perfect balance.

I find this option more realistic, as I think Doran passing Aegon as his own son to be a tad too complicated. - I mean He would have to mount a massive conspiracy, Trystan is supposed to be a son of a prince - his birth would be attended by lots of servants, pregnancy of his mother would have been witnessed by the entire court etc...

Fake Trystan being real or Fake Aegon means that either Doran replaced his own son with a substitute (and what happened to the real kid?) or they would have to fake the pregnancy of Dorans wife, etc etc..

Book 4 & 5 Spoilers in this comment (warning).

The flaw in this theory is that it makes Oberyn Martell's entire quest to make the Lannister's look like liars a pointless move (by having the Mountain confess to his crimes) - his death becomes a pointless death. That's a big flaw in your theory.

Martell's cannot know of the existence of Young-Griff prior to them being informed about him. It's impossible to assume that Doran was keeping it a secret from his brother. The Dornish Master plan meant that Oberyn could go the extent of sacrificing his life to reveal the Lannister's as liars/cheaters/rapists to the realm (they couldn't possibly be holding on to the biggest lie themselves) - Dorne's ace-card is the High Sparrow (he fits into the Dornish Master plan perfectly)... Otherwise revealing the Lannister's as liars now would be useless (since most people knew they were liars)... BUT with such a religious movement in control, liars/cheaters are punished (and now the Lannister's are both).

This on the other hand is genius... BUT a smaller flaw now applies. Doran has to convince Oberyn's paramour and her daughters at the end of the season that Oberyn knew, and Oberyn wanted to get revenge for their sister (Elia). Otherwise he let his brother die for no reason.

Edit: Having thought about this, maybe Oberyn was expected to successfully kill the mountain and poison Tywin and get back (which is mission accomplished theoretically, except for the coming back part).

WHAT IF in the show the Queenmaker plot actually succeeds and Myrcella becomes Aegon. *gasp*

What if there is no Aegon or Myrcella... And in the show Varys had saved Rhaenys rather than Aegon and while Myrcella was on her way to Dorne, Varys had the ship attacked and Myrcella switched with Rhaenys? *gasp*

You couldn't possibly expect me to believe that was just a recast of Myrcella.

Edit: Oh em gee this all makes sense now... "who said anything about him?" wink wink haha

Someone on Watchersonthewall posted an interview with Toby Sebastian and it certainly does not look like as if he is any sort of fAegon. He said his character is not at all about a violence, but about a romance and eyebrows raising clothes. Based on pictures and videos from Dorne we could already see, i would guess he is the one wearing pink dress and elegant looking sword.

It definitely doesnt sound as fAegon, who was ambitious, arogant and had proper training for his role. It sound as he is just Doran´s kid, who will fall in love with Myrcella and will be like Arianne bit imature and uprepared for all political aspects of his position as heir to Dorne. However his romantic qualities could serve him well once Dany land in Westeros....he is no Quentin either.

Book 4 & 5 Spoilers in this comment (warning).

The flaw in this theory is that it makes Oberyn Martell's entire quest to make the Lannister's look like liars a pointless move (by having the Mountain confess to his crimes) - his death becomes a pointless death. That's a big flaw in your theory.

Martell's cannot know of the existence of Young-Griff prior to them being informed about him. It's impossible to assume that Doran was keeping it a secret from his brother. The Dornish Master plan meant that Oberyn could go the extent of sacrificing his life to reveal the Lannister's as liars/cheaters/rapists to the realm (they couldn't possibly be holding on to the biggest lie themselves) - Dorne's ace-card is the High Sparrow (he fits into the Dornish Master plan perfectly)... Otherwise revealing the Lannister's as liars now would be useless (since most people knew they were liars)... BUT with such a religious movement in control, liars/cheaters are punished (and now the Lannister's are both).

This on the other hand is genius... BUT a smaller flaw now applies. Doran has to convince Oberyn's paramour and her daughters at the end of the season that Oberyn knew, and Oberyn wanted to get revenge for their sister (Elia). Otherwise he let his brother die for no reason.

Edit: Having thought about this, maybe Oberyn was expected to successfully kill the mountain and poison Tywin and get back (which is mission accomplished theoretically, except for the coming back part).

I think this is similar to the debate for R+L=J. If Jon is not Ned's son, why did he lie to his wife? Couldn't he trust Cat? It seems like Jon would have had a much better childhood and Ned and easier marriage, if he had trusted his wife. Then she wouldn't see Jon as a threat to her children's inheritance or his mother as an imaginary threat to her marriage.

I could see Doran not telling Oberyn, because in spite of how awesome he was, he was super reckless and kind of a loose canon. What if he got really drunk one night and told Ellaria (or someone else)? Or if he omitted Aegon in his list of accusations in his fight against the Mountain and the whole court knew he was alive? If Aegon/Trystane were revealed too soon, Doran would be convicted of being a traitor to the crown, Aegon/Trystane would be killed in childhood, and the entire Martell house might be put to the sword.

On the other hand, Doran could have told Oberyn the truth. And he held the Mountain responsible for his intentions as well as his deeds. And/or he included "children" because saying "child" would raise suspicions, and Oberyn is too clever to reveal his nephew and his brother's treachery.

Someone on Watchersonthewall posted an interview with Toby Sebastian and it certainly does not look like as if he is any sort of fAegon. He said his character is not at all about a violence, but about a romance and eyebrows raising clothes. Based on pictures and videos from Dorne we could already see, i would guess he is the one wearing pink dress and elegant looking sword.

It definitely doesnt sound as fAegon, who was ambitious, arogant and had proper training for his role. It sound as he is just Doran´s kid, who will fall in love with Myrcella and will be like Arianne bit imature and uprepared for all political aspects of his position as heir to Dorne. However his romantic qualities could serve him well once Dany land in Westeros....he is no Quentin either.

It is possible that Trystane is just as he seems. Or it could be a cover like when they cast Ramsey Bolton as "Boy" and wouldn't allow Iwan Rheon the say his character's name even in interviews. However, this would be a better cover, because "Boy" screamed Ramsey as Reek, and Trystane can just be Trystane (or Trystane-Arianne-Quentin, since some book readers are already expecting his character to be changed as a mash-up of all three).

Thanks! I agree with your edit that Oberyn expected to succeed and at minimum implicate Tywin in their deaths (if not poison him).

To me, the bigger hole is in the books Quentyn dies trying to invoke the agreement with the Targaryens and Dorne, but Aegon invades, and then it looks like Doran plans to marry Arriane and Aegon to invoke it instead, which leaves Dany out of the loop. I suppose if Jaime goes ahead and starts the war, then Trystane/FAegon invades, they could send word to Dany that her nephew is alive and proposing a marriage alliance instead which is subsequently turned down or left open.

I'm on board for this, I don't see how they can just drop the Aegon story entirely.

Depends on how important Aegon is to the actual story in the books. Most people seem to think Aegon is fake anyway and if he isn't in the show then we'll know that before the next book is released.

The bigger hole for me is that there is no Female Ruler law in Dorne. Crowning Myrcella is like Renly crowning himself, but worst. :dunno:

We do not know that yet. If Myrcella is to be crowned, it will get mentioned.

The bigger hole for me is that there is no Female Ruler law in Dorne. Crowning Myrcella is like Renly crowning himself, but worst. :dunno:

This is an absolute farce and incredibly annoying. It took a few "feminists" to complain about the sand snakes and their nippled armour; for D & D to apologise and reshoot it.

But they don't want to include one of the most important aspects of Dornish rule, that the first born regardless of gender is the ruler.

This is an absolute farce and incredibly annoying. It took a few "feminists" to complain about the sand snakes and their nippled armour; for D & D to apologise and reshoot it.

But they don't want to include one of the most important aspects of Dornish rule, that the first born regardless of gender is the ruler.

We don't know for sure that Dornish law has been cut.

Archived