Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Michael Seswatha Jordan

I absolutely don't agree with the way Mayweather dodged this fight while PAC was in his prime. But, to talk any type of trash about Mayweather in the ring is just nonsense. The way he fights now is only due to his age, and the fact that he is one of the best, smartest fighters of all-time. When he was in his prime, he fought anyway HE chose. First time I seen him fight, he came out in like round 7 or 8 and threw punches with his right. Next round he only threw with his left, and he dominated the guy. You can say whatever u want about him outside the ring, and yea, its probably true. That's what ruins him for me, gambling, domestic abuse and generally just saying the dumbest shit possible at any given time. But man, is he fucking sweet to watch in the ring! And as he's aged, he's been smart enough to adjust his style to accommodate for his diminishing skills, instead of being brash and ending up getting knocked out. IMHO, he's kept boxing afloat in the US, since heavyweight hasn't had a great one, well really, since Tyson.

Mayweather is a genius in the ring, but I do think it's a little exaggerated how good defensively he really is - in that there are others who could contend with him in that respect in the last few years. Most notably, I feel Andre Ward was better than him before he went on his hiatus, although more boring, and Rigondeaux might be on his level- although Donaire aside his resume is unfortunately thin.

Btw, MSJ, have you been watching Vasyl Lomachenko's progress? Based on your description of what you enjoy about Mayweather, I think that's a career you're going to enjoy. He's fucking magic.

Doesn't mean as much as it would have 5 years ago. Manny doesn't have the punching power to break a strong defense anymore. This fight is going to decision and Mayweather will probably win too many of the early rounds for Pac to have a chance. Pac might just wearout before that.

I don't have problem with him refusing really. just I believe if he would have accepted, the fight would have been made in 2010 . I'm sure everyone disagrees and will say Mayweather would have found another way to duck but whatever.

And the terms weren't all that ridiculous to me I think random blood testing should be the norm for all big fights thh

It wasn't the random testing that was the issue. It was the pre fight testing that Pac was rightly complaining about.

It wasn't the random testing that was the issue. It was the pre fight testing that Pac was rightly complaining about.

Totally, I remember reading something about how he could be required to give some ridiculous amount (a pint and a half?) of blood right before the fight. You would be crazy to agree to that.

I don't follow boxing that carefully, but I don't really understand how anyone can still be a fan of Mayweather. I totally disagree that he is what is keeping boxing afloat in America, I see him as emblematic of all that is wrong with American boxing. He is an arrogant wife beater with a gambling problem. AND he ducks and avoids Pacquiao for years, all the while crowing about his undefeated record. If this is the "great American fighter", it's no wonder boxing has continued to decline. I hope Pac knocks him out, but it'll probably be Mayweather in a decision.

I've never heard of him, to be honest. But, I make a point to look out for him. Thank you!

Have a link to his

fights, if you fancy a watch and don't mind Russian commentary. Bearing in mind that Gary Russell Jr. in particular is a very good boxer in his own right, whereas the Piryapinyo fight is remarkable for what happens after Loma injures his left hand in the seventh.

Anyways, Murray just made the mistake of being brave and tough against Golovkin and got himself absolutely wrecked. That's the problem with fighting Golovkin- because every punch is meaningful, even if he's not actively knocking you out he's fucking you up.

I want Pacquiao to win, but pretty sure Pretty Boy Floyd will take it via clinching and judges wanking off to his defense. Honestly, I thought he lost the first Maidana fight (he didn't do anything), and even in the second one he didn't do shit to Maidana. Even when Floyd is getting hit clean, the commentators go "look at his defense!" A great fighter, but people overestimate his defense and its impact.

Only argument I see for mayweather losing at this point is that if he wins, there's not a ton of interest in a rematch. But if he loses, there's definitely a rematch next year, which makes even more money for everyone. So if it gets thrown to the judges, I'm not saying there's a fix, just that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Pacquiao takes it.

Provodnikov vs Matthyse probably in April is the fight for you. But even in its time Ward-Gatti was an exception and is noted like that, if you want a fight like that every week, you're always going in for disappointment.

Your claim isn't really true, anyway: there's been a bit of a gap in talent in the last few years which along with bad match-making has made for a disappointing time for the sport, but there's lots of talent coming up now, and plenty of them are exciting fighters. Especially if you look at the lower weights.

I'll definitely check that fight out.

I don't really agree with you about my expectations being unrealistic about quality of fights. When I was younger there was always a few rising Heavyweights that would put on great fights plus you had a deep field of welterweights and lighweights that would put on great fights (in additional to the big 4 you had Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello, Camacho, Mancini...). This carried well into the 90's but I think once the 2000's came around the quality of fighters has dropped significantly in all weight classes plus there is a general lack of willingness to take chances or finish fights.

I don't really agree with you about my expectations being unrealistic about quality of fights. When I was younger there was always a few rising Heavyweights that would put on great fights plus you had a deep field of welterweights and lighweights that would put on great fights (in additional to the big 4 you had Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello, Camacho, Mancini...). This carried well into the 90's but I think once the 2000's came around the quality of fighters has dropped significantly in all weight classes plus there is a general lack of willingness to take chances or finish fights.

Start watching kickboxing, tons of talent there! :D

Totally, I remember reading something about how he could be required to give some ridiculous amount (a pint and a half?) of blood right before the fight. You would be crazy to agree to that.

I don't follow boxing that carefully, but I don't really understand how anyone can still be a fan of Mayweather. I totally disagree that he is what is keeping boxing afloat in America, I see him as emblematic of all that is wrong with American boxing. He is an arrogant wife beater with a gambling problem. AND he ducks and avoids Pacquiao for years, all the while crowing about his undefeated record. If this is the "great American fighter", it's no wonder boxing has continued to decline. I hope Pac knocks him out, but it'll probably be Mayweather in a decision.

Yea, im just a casual fan also. That's why I have to say Mayweather has kept boxing even relevant. I can name more fighters in the 80's and 90's than I can since 2000. Basically, I just watch the pay-per-view events, and not a whole lot more. I don't even know who holds the Heavyweight belts anymore. And, besides Manny and PAC, I can't even recall the name of too many other current fighters, besides Hopkins, and he could fit into the 90's category. That's what I meant, Mayweather is the face of Boxing for the casual fan.

It's interesting that people who insinuate that Pac-Man must be cheating because he's moved up so much in weight through his career never bring up the fact that, at age 16, the two of them also weighed almost exactly the same (105 pounds vs 106 pounds)? Just Pac turned pro earlier whereas Floyd did more of his developing relatively out of sight in the amateurs, and then Floyd progressed up the scales relatively steadily whereas Pac stayed at lower weights longer- something that he was clearly struggling to do, given that two of his losses come from being disqualified for failing to make weight.

But no, Pac has won titles at loads of weights so he must be cheating.

I bet we see similar accusations aimed at Naoya Inoue if his meteoric progression continues.

You may be right but like I say, though there has been a bit of a talent gap, it's now being filled to an extent. A lot of the fighters stepping into it are foreign, probably a lot more than was the case back then, but they're there.

Want to elaborate on that or just spew bullshit and walk away?

Obviously, I have no evidence. But there's no way Manny should have been able to go up in weight and physically dominate bigger guys.

Can smaller guys go up in weight and do well? Yes. Some might even be able to bring some punching power. But Manny went up from 130 to the mid-140s and was not only able to withstand, and shrug off, the power of these bigger guys, but he was hurting guys who were accustomed to being hit by much bigger guys. Miguel Cotto went 11 rounds with a cement-glove wearing Margarito, but was running from Manny Pacquiao.

It would be as if Roy Jones Jr had gome up to heavyweight and was dominating those guys and knocking them out, making them cower.

He then refused to submit to blood tests, citing a fear of needles. And remember, Mayweather would've been taking the same tests, so no advantage there.

Hence why I don't blame Floyd for the fight not happening. Having said all of that, I think Manny was and is an exciting fighter.

Archived