AcroPHILIA of The Seven - round four clues

Rhaena Sandship

My Ladies, Sers, Ghosts and Shadows! Dear fragile, dolorous, reeking and all other kinds of people, I give you

Round One Scores:

1. Mocks superwoman. Enraged oath-breaker knight fells asshole.

Answer: Red Ronnet Connington

Author: redriver

2. Mature ser. Escutcheon of kings. Foreign associates.

Answer: Ser Barristan Selmy

Author: Lady Blizzardborn

3. Pruned without asking *sigh*. No darn luck!

Answer: Dolorous Edd Tollett

Author: Dolorous Gabe

4. Pretty wolf all sewn. Now death's laughingstock.

Answer: King Robb Stark

Author: Ser Not Appearing

5. Maester’s squinting elderly offsider, keeps flighted airmailers.

Answer: Clydas - Night's Watch

Author: Castellan

6. Pyromancer Wisdom. Alchemist shows nosy dwarf light.

Answer: Wisdom Hallyne - Alchemist

Author: yomi

7. Priest welcomes acolyte's servitude? Normally deems "liar."

Answer: The Kindly Man

Author: Reek Havoc

8. Previous whore, appointed steward. Now defends light.

Answer: Satin - Night's Watch

Author: Ser Fingerbones

9. Papa wolf announces suspicion. Negligently decapitated, loudly.

Answer: Lord Eddard Stark

Author: lil' ghost

10. Parent with attitude stridently nags defenceless illegitimate.

Answer: Lady Catelyn Tully

Author: Woofless

11. Most sadistic. Enraged over knightly food assignment.

Answer: Ser Boros Blount

Author: Fragile Bird

12. Muse, sister, eastern origin. Khaleesi's faithful attendant.

Answer: Missandei from Naath

Author: Bendubz

13. Patron where a sanctuary nourishes dogs lost.

Answer: The Elder Brother

Author: a shadow

Points = Guessing Points + Author points + Theme points + Favourite clue points. Please check your score, I am really bad with numbers ;)

STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 1:

1. a shadow......................... 53

2. Reek Havoc .................... 44

3. Castellan ........................ 42

4. Dolorous Gabe ............... 41

5. yomi ............................... 39

6. Fragile Bird .................... 38

7. Lady Blizzardborn .......... 36

8. Woofless ........................ 32

9. Ser Not Appearing ......... 31

10. Ser Fingerbones .......... 28

11. lil' ghost ........................ 21

12. Bendubz ...................... 10

13. redriver ........................ 5

The undisputed winner is a shadow, thanks to her awesome really not bad clue. It won the "Most creative approach" and ties the "Best wording" with Fragile Bird's clue! Reek Havoc scored second, guessing not only all clues, but also the theme - one of just 4 players to get it! Castellan holds the third place, closely followed by Dolorous Gabe. His clue was guessed by only four people, but it won "Funny or 'Aha!' moment" nevertheless. Bendubz's clue for Missandei on the other hand was guessed by all players, getting him the highest author points count!

Congratulations to everybody! It was a very tricky round, but it is only the first one - this is still anyone's game :)

(I will now finally go through your ideas for round 2's clues, so expect a PM in the next hours. I will publish the clues this evening or tomorrow morning.)

Less people guessed my clue correctly than Ser's. That must be a first. It was just too good for y'all :P

a shadow must not be praised :ninja:

I will praise Reek Havoc instead. Tis great to have you back in the games :D

Strangely nobody is discussing the clues...

My personal opinion?

#13 Patron where a sanctuary nourishes dogs lost is my favourite, it sounds like a clue and is really creative.

#3 Pruned without asking etc. was fun, and your interpretations of the clue were even more fun.

#1 Mocks superwoman etc. is really clever - it manages to point to Brienne in one word (superwoman), Jaime in 2 words (oathbreaking knight), and to Red Ronnet - in 2 words (mocking asshole). Impressive!

I totally agree about #13. It has a great wording and is quiet creative. In my first voting attempt it got my best wording vote, but finally I changed that to most creative and the extra.

I agree about #3, too. Surely the most homorous approach. "Luck" made me think of Davos first, but when I came to understand that I would probably need an other character here, it occured to me that "I just have no darn luck" was something that one of the characters might say while falling asleep and when I woke up and thought about it more I realized that of course that is Dolorous Edd's opinion.

I don't like #1 that much. Until you said that it pointed at the mocking asshole, I was certain that it referred to the mocking oathbreaker knight. Jaime mocks superwoman Brienne, he is best known for being an oathbreaker knight and he fells some assholes. Only thing that made me doubt this answer a bit is that Jaime is a POV. So I considered what other oathbreaker knights and superwomen there were and considered Ser Jorah, who probably counts as oathbreaker after sending a letter to Varys after swearing loyality to Dany, and who fells Tyrion after Tyrion's most jerkish action. I just couldn't figure which of Jorah's actions could be perceived as mocking Dany.

I like the "defends light" part of #8 a lot. It's a lovely reference to the NW oath. I initially gave it my extra vote, but finally voted for it as best worded.

#11 was the only clue I didn't guess. I considered Ramsay (probably the most cruel character in general) and Clayton Suggs (the most cruel of the Queen's men) who are both in situations were food is scarce and might thus get pissed about the food rations for knights/nobles. If I didn't miss it in my rereading they don't complain about that, though. Still, I was to fixated on "not getting enough / good enough food" that I didn't consider Blount. Seeing the answer and reading the explanation I must confess that it was a very good and creative clue. It initially got my most creative vote, but in the end I just loved #13 too much. Sorry, FB.

I still think #10 fits better to Cersei nagging Tommen and best to Lysa nagging Alayne.

I am really really really sorry, I apologize unreservedly - it appears is that I misread what Castellan said, not the voting condition (which I must say I did not read, but now know what it was).

I personally very much prefer the -5 rule, but my vote stays in 'not caring' for humans :ninja:

Edit: It appears I can not understand what is being said, even when I try. Therefore I do not vote.

Edit: What I think would be great, is lowering the author points to 'no more than X points'. For example, seven in thirteen player game. I can not focus my attention enough at the moment to understand if it is what is voted on.

Yeah, I feel something like that, too. I first voted for the -5 rule, then I read Castellan's argument and thought it was good, so when I voted again I voted against the -5 rule, and then I read DG's argument and thought he was right and I should have voted for -5 rule. I then went to sleep, but that didn't help me in getting a surer opinion in this matter either.

Strangely nobody is discussing the clues...

My personal opinion?

#13 Patron where a sanctuary nourishes dogs lost is my favourite, it sounds like a clue and is really creative.

#3 Pruned without asking etc. was fun, and your interpretations of the clue were even more fun.

#1 Mocks superwoman etc. is really clever - it manages to point to Brienne in one word (superwoman), Jaime in 2 words (oathbreaking knight), and to Red Ronnet - in 2 words (mocking asshole). Impressive!

Lol, I thought we weren't supposed to discuss clues until after the voting, so people make their own decisions without being swayed by group-think.

I agree with everything said above, which is why I voted for those clues. It was hard to choose among them, there were so many great entries, but I chose Woofless' Catelyn clue as my over-all favourite, because when it finally dawned on me who it was it felt very satisfying. My immediate reaction was Cersei, but after thinking about it, she wouldn't consider her own child illegitimate, and I had to trust the clue-writer.

As for my own clue, well, I liked it, but considering the standard in these games I didn't think it ranked very high. And as everyone who plays Acrophobia knows, I've told people they had the game winner, which I have to stop doing because it seems to be the kiss of death. :kiss:

I did atrociously on the guessing, but at least I have the crumb of hope that I did consider the right answer for quite a few:

#1 Had right chain of thought, but couldn't remember red ronnet so went for vargo

#2 Barristan was one I considered at the start, but then I saw escutcheon could mean spy so went for varys and completely ignored the mature ser part which would have set me back on the right road

#3 I'm an idiot for not getting that, I even read it as Dolorous edd when I first saw it and still failed

#9 Changed mind between Cersei and Ned multiple times and eventually went for the wrong one

#10 Dismissed Catelyn because Jon isn't really defenseless so was looking at Walder Roose and Tywin the whole time

#13 So close! I understood the clue, knew it had to be related to the quiet isle but went for septon merribald instead because i'm stupid

Lol, I thought we weren't supposed to discuss clues until after the voting, so people make their own decisions without being swayed by group-think.

I agree with everything said above, which is why I voted for those clues. It was hard to choose among them, there were so many great entries, but I chose Woofless' Catelyn clue as my over-all favourite, because when it finally dawned on me who it was it felt very satisfying. My immediate reaction was Cersei, but after thinking about it, she wouldn't consider her own child illegitimate, and I had to trust the clue-writer.

As for my own clue, well, I liked it, but considering the standard in these games I didn't think it ranked very high. And as everyone who plays Acrophobia knows, I've told people they had the game winner, which I have to stop doing because it seems to be the kiss of death. :kiss:

Ain't that the truth :crying:

Sorry...

I guessed Davos for clue #3 because he had his fingers pruned and lost his luck.

#13 I guessed the Hound, because patron means a client - or - someone who financially supports an organization, not someone who's running said organization.

the Stranger was in my favor for clue #13, I should have used that prelim on a different clue, because I may have eventually came to the right character, but either way, helped me get a point. :p

Congrats Shadow on most points for round 1 and Reek Havoc for guessing everything right! :cheers:

I did atrociously on the guessing, but at least I have the crumb of hope that I did consider the right answer for quite a few:

#1 Had right chain of thought, but couldn't remember red ronnet so went for vargo

#2 Barristan was one I considered at the start, but then I saw escutcheon could mean spy so went for varys and completely ignored the mature ser part which would have set me back on the right road

#3 I'm an idiot for not getting that, I even read it as Dolorous edd when I first saw it and still failed

#9 Changed mind between Cersei and Ned multiple times and eventually went for the wrong one

#10 Dismissed Catelyn because Jon isn't really defenseless so was looking at Walder Roose and Tywin the whole time

#13 So close! I understood the clue, knew it had to be related to the quiet isle but went for septon merribald instead because i'm stupid

In my defence I'll say that the clue was aimed at the time when she was ripping into him and I think at that point that he was pretty defenceless.

Less people guessed my clue correctly than Ser's. That must be a first. It was just too good for y'all :P

a shadow must not be praised :ninja:

I will praise Reek Havoc instead. Tis great to have you back in the games :D

Thanks, DG! Though I'm not entirely sure how flattering it is to be praised in lieu of someone else, so... thanks, I think? LOL :p

The entries were all so good... I remember three out of the four that I voted for, but the rest were equally good, so I think it just depended on my whim at that moment.

I know I chose....

#1 because it summed everything up very nicely.

#3 because it couldn't have sounded more like Dolorous Edd if you'd tried... (nicely done, DG!)

#11 because the "knightly" play on words gave it a lovely double-meaning. Very nice touch, FB!

as for the fourth vote... no clue.

oh, and just to annoy a shadow -

EXCELLENT JOB, CONGRATS!! :cheers:

lol

Sorry...

I guessed Davos for clue #3 because he had his fingers pruned and lost his luck.

#13 I guessed the Hound, because patron means a client - or - someone who financially supports an organization, not someone who's running said organization.

I nearly missed that one myself for the same reason, and originally had Septon Meribald. The theme saved me from making that mistake.

And here I thought I submitted an easy clue! Did the second half throw people off? Pretty and sewing direct people to Sansa and death didn't direct them away?

Explanation I apparently didn't provide:

When his wolf's head was sewn on after the Red Wedding (allegedly) it was to mock him in death.

And here I thought I submitted an easy clue! Did the second half throw people off? Pretty and sewing direct people to Sansa and death didn't direct them away?

When his wolf's head was sewn on after the Red Wedding (allegedly) it was to mock him in death.

I actually thought it was supposed to be Arya. She seems to have multiple admirers, she is "sewing" with Needle and if she becomes an FM "Arya" will be no more as she gives death more toys to play with

Robb was the first character your clue brought to my mind, although I had doubts and marked this answer with three question marks. Don't really recall why, probably it just seemed too easy to be right. When I used the Crone's blessing on this and three other clues I got informed that I had only one right answer among those four, so my doubts grew and I started considering Sansa (but yes, she didn't fit the second part of the clue) and Arya (same reasoning like Bendubz), but luckily a second blessing made me assume that Robb was actually the one correct answer among those four, so I got your clue right. Don't know now why I was ever uncertain, it points so clearly at him and Grey Wind. Probably I'm just expecting minor characters too much and thus am in doubt whenever the obvious answer isn't a minor character and start overthinking things.

"Pretty wolf" put me onto Sansa and Arya straight away and I never left them, which was stupid. Sometimes I do get tunnel-vision on a clue and end up making a mistake because of it. My thought process was similar to Bendubz and so chose Arya. It was a big surprise to me when I saw the answer, especially since I thought it was confirmed by the theme, but it wasn't a bad clue. Just the first word threw me off track and I never noticed.

Thanks, DG! Though I'm not entirely sure how flattering it is to be praised in lieu of someone else, so... thanks, I think? LOL :P

#3 because it couldn't have sounded more like Dolorous Edd if you'd tried... (nicely done, DG!)

I would've said well done to you anyway for getting all the clues and the theme right. Also, I do mean what I said. Your return is most welcome.

And thank you for the lower statement :cheers:

Archived