AcroPHILIA of The Seven - round four clues

Rhaena Sandship

What happened to redriver? I did not do anything :ninja:

I did atrociously on the guessing, but at least I have the crumb of hope that I did consider the right answer for quite a few:

#1 Had right chain of thought, but couldn't remember red ronnet so went for vargo

#2 Barristan was one I considered at the start, but then I saw escutcheon could mean spy so went for varys and completely ignored the mature ser part which would have set me back on the right road

#3 I'm an idiot for not getting that, I even read it as Dolorous edd when I first saw it and still failed

#9 Changed mind between Cersei and Ned multiple times and eventually went for the wrong one

#10 Dismissed Catelyn because Jon isn't really defenseless so was looking at Walder Roose and Tywin the whole time

#13 So close! I understood the clue, knew it had to be related to the quiet isle but went for septon merribald instead because i'm stupid

You are extremely not stupid :ninja: I know that, because I notice everything.

The trick that might help is not dismissing anything at hand, but leaving it be, thinking of all the different angles and then considering all the options again, after some time. Not thinking that it is something you should know, but something that you can figure out.

Also, when you can't remember, asoiaf wiki helps -- if you figure that 'superwoman' means Brienne and oath-breaker might be Jaime, you could read Jaime's wiki page starting with ASoS (when he travelled with Brienne) and such things.

Yeah, I feel something like that, too. I first voted for the -5 rule, then I read Castellan's argument and thought it was good, so when I voted again I voted against the -5 rule, and then I read DG's argument and thought he was right and I should have voted for -5 rule. I then went to sleep, but that didn't help me in getting a surer opinion in this matter either.

I do know what I think, I just could not manage to attach my mind to the question and understand it.

It was hard to choose among them, there were so many great entries, but I chose Woofless' Catelyn clue as my over-all favourite, because when it finally dawned on me who it was it felt very satisfying.

When I read the clues, I thought Catelyn clue must be your clue.

I also liked many clues, but my vote went to the Kindly Man.

Another vote was for the trouble I had with Satin clue, which I thought must be Melisandre, except the first part, where I reluctantly almost thought it was some sort of personal judgement attached to it, rather that facts, although I also knew no one here would do that :blush: So I was just creating trouble for myself and playing against myself, as I always do. But 'defends light' was really good thought!

Aww, really? Thanks! I was under the impression I didn't get any favorite votes... or maybe I'm misunderstanding the scoring system?

Pretty sure I voted for yours too but I think another must have got more votes for the particular category we voted yours for. I think the 1 point vote definitely stands but the other categories only give 4 points out to the one with the most votes in that particular category.

In fact I think I voted for yours in the category that mine got most votes in.

Pretty sure I voted for yours too but I think another must have got more votes for the particular category we voted yours for. I think the 1 point vote definitely stands but the other categories only give 4 points out to the one with the most votes in that particular category.

In fact I think I voted for yours in the category that mine got most votes in.

Ah ok I see what you're saying. Yep, makes sense!

Aww, really? Thanks! I was under the impression I didn't get any favorite votes... or maybe I'm misunderstanding the scoring system?

I voted for it in the first two questions. I do not think I understood anything last day and I did not understand it is not definite points. And I picked two other clues for the two other questions.

It was a really really good clue!

Reek Havoc, your clue had 2 votes in "Funny or 'Aha!' moment", but Dolorous Gabe won the category with 7 votes... Nobody else had a chance :)

Actually, here are the votes:

"Best wording":

11. Most sadistic. Enraged over knightly food assignment.

7. Priest welcomes acolyte's servitude? Normally deems "liar".

13. Patron where a sanctuary nourishes dogs lost.

10. Parent with attitude stridently nags defenceless illegitimate.

5. Maester’s squinting elderly offsider, keeps flighted airmailers.

10. Parent with attitude stridently nags defenceless illegitimate.

2. Mature ser. Escutcheon of kings. Foreign associates.

4. Pretty wolf all sewn. Now death's laughingstock.

"Funny or 'Aha!' moment":

1. Mocks superwoman. Enraged oath-breaker knight fells asshole.

8. Previous whore, appointed steward. Now defends light.

3. Pruned without asking *sigh* No darn luck!

"Most creative approach":

I think I just got the -philia and -phobia scoring systems mixed up, because I was thinking the winner of each category got an additional 4 votes on top of a point for each vote. My mistake! LOL I temporarily got my games confused.

Really nicely written clues everyone. HUGE thanks to Rhaena as well. She's obviously putting a lot of work into this, and we appreciate it.

Seems I made a few familiar slip-ups in my guessing thought process also.

For #3 I assumed the pruning in question was Pycelle's beard getting cut by Shagga.

For #4 the words 'pretty' and 'sewn' led me to think of Sansa. I thought that 'death's laughingstock' referred to the fact that Sansa believed she had lost everyone she held dear (See here: Entire Stark family.) As in the personification of death was laughing at her by killing everyone she loves. Of course, death would have been capitalized if that was the case, so my bad.

For #13 I thought that the 'patron' referred to Septon Meribald, as the Elder Brother is the leader of the Quiet Isle rather than a supporter of it, as I understand the word to mean. But really liked this clue besides.

Looking forward to playing next round. :)

This round my mistakes were mostly me blanking on things from the books.

For #1, I was sure it was Jorah beating Qotho. Dany as superwoman was my first choice because dragons, and dragonriding, and doing an insane amount of conquering and slave-freeing for being only a young girl who knows nothing of war. ;) Thus I chose Qotho. For some reason nothing about Ronnet Connington sticks in my mind. I missed a clue for him in the last game too.

For #3 I was thinking of plants getting pruned, so my first guess was Bloodraven (if I'd gotten anywhere near the theme I would have known that was wrong). Then I thought pruned might not be literal (silly me) and was thinking it might be a creative reference to Bran's losing the use of his legs. Completely blanked on prunes and the Night's Watch.

Well done, shadow!

I only got the pruned clue at the last minute. I kept assuming it meant mutiliated so I had a short list of Jaime Theon Varys to which I later added the Dusky woman (who carries a lantern). At some stage it also crossed my mind that the sigh and no luck sounded like dolorous Edd, but even though I found him carrying a lantern, I still thought pruned meant he must have lost a body part without me noticing (It is ASOIF after all) so it was only using the e-reader to check every instance of Dolorous Edd that I found the prune reference. So I voted for best aha funny moment, but really, making those prunes key made it very hard to guess. I also realised it must be Dolorous!

Unfortuntely by the end of all my e-reading chores to pursue lanterns and Dolorous Edds my brain was clearly in the wane again because I changed the answer to the Robb clue from Robb to Arya. With that clue I went for Grey Wind then realised he was pretty unlikely to have carried a lantern and that wolf could mean a Stark, but for some reason I could not remember or find a scene where Robb carried a lantern. I should have realised I must have just missed it, instead of constructing a weird rationale that it could be Arya.

and I knew the slightly metaphorical Elder Brother clue would be shadow's!

I only got the pruned clue at the last minute. I kept assuming it meant mutiliated so I had a short list of Jaime Theon Varys to which I later added the Dusky woman (who carries a lantern). At some stage it also crossed my mind that the sigh and no luck sounded like dolorous Edd, but even though I found him carrying a lantern, I still thought pruned meant he must have lost a body part without me noticing (It is ASOIF after all) so it was only using the e-reader to check every instance of Dolorous Edd that I found the prune reference. So I voted for best aha funny moment, but really, making those prunes key made it very hard to guess. I also realised it must be Dolorous!

Haha I must admit I'm not trying to make my clues easy in this game. Brace yourself for more fairly obscure clues from me! It will continue to cost me points, admittedly, but I'm finding it quite fun to go all SNA on the clue creating.

I see other people thought of other mutiliations. Pycelle's beard was a good one. I mean in retrospect if I was more of a Dolorous Edd fan or generally smarter then the sigh and no luck should have said him straightway, but I don't trust retrospect in this game, or we'd all be getting perfect guessing points.

Expect more plodding clues from me...I'd be witty if I could

I see other people thought of other mutiliations. Pycelle's beard was a good one.

I agree, our lovely host told me about the Pycelle line of thinking and I think that was a reasonable reading.

It would be a strange line to take on a Pycelle clue though. That's always worth considering when answering the clues I think.

Mind you, some may consider the line for my Edd clue a rather strange one. There's so many characters and we all remember different things.

Edited to add: for me, that whole passage that ends "Never trust a cook m'lord, they'll prune you when you least expect it" had me in stitches for days!

Coming in about an hour (I hope). Two players are polishing their clues up, meaning, they are making them remotely understandable. When they are ready, I'll post the new clues. :)

A message to Ser Not Appearing and Dolorous Gabe. Don't you be mean! :tantrum:

A message to Ser Not Appearing and Dolorous Gabe. Don't you be mean! :tantrum:

It doesn't help me if you're not smart enough to get my clue :P

Also, I'll have you know that Rhaena loves my new clue (though she admits it's tricky).

Archived