Girl in Grey Prophesy.

ChillyPolly

Until we get the reason why she thought a marriage was involved, we should consider the possibility that there was more to it than just what she told Jon. It could be she saw a girl in gray fighting with someone, and something that signified marriage and just didn't mention the details to Jon.

What we really need here is for Moqorro to interpret this for us. He seems to know what's up in the flames.

I do not need Moqorro at all. This would suffice:

A girl as grey as ash, and even as I watched she crumbled and blew away.

Also, who is Mel? Is she a Red Priestess or some undead chick with her own agenda? As far as we know, Red Priesthood is behind Dany thinking she is AA. Mel somehow did not get a memo. She is good with illusions, but all we know of her "magic" is that she is a shadow binder. That has nothing to do with Red Priesthood. That's Asshai black magic.

How can Mel see that she is fleeing a marriage? She just sees a girl on a horse fleeing. And she is notoriously bad in reading her flames. The flames are not a CCTV. The visions should not be interpreted literally. If they are, then we get haste reactions like Jon's.

Well, the 'stark cloak' that a bride is supposed to wear at a wedding should be grey, no?

Maybe that's what she saw and the reason why she concluded that

a. the girl must have been Jon's sister, because no other bride would wear such cloak

b. the girl must have been running away from a marriage, because in no other moment a girl would wear that particular cloak

Just guessing, I know nothing

Well if most of the NW contracts it then the fun stops here. Plus once they die they come back, so it's possible that the wall would simply be overrun by dead NW men. The Others wouldn't even have to cross then, the dead rangers will just appear on the other side of the wall and head south.

Good thought that lead us to the real question. Who is the real enemy here? The Others or whatever is coming from the water? I'd wager it's the latter. And we still have no idea who Mel is and who she works for. If she is a real RP, why isn't she telling Stannis, there has been a woman who is considered AA by all her fellow RPs? Would Stannis have opposed a Targaryen? Unlikely. Back at the start of RR, he really debated whether to support his brother or his king. He is no usurper. So, Stannis is unaware of Dany's powers and so is Mel. Under her guidance, Stannis managed to kill thousands of wildlings who would have been fierce fighters against whatever is coming. Had it not been for Aemon and Jon Snow, he would have probably executed more potential fighters. So, while Mance devoted his life to uniting the north beyond the Wall for a fight with whatever is coming, has gathered a lot of knowledge to do so and has managed to strengthen the Wall by attacking it frontally (digressing now, but there is a saying "the Wall is as strong as the men defending it are true". Mance made the NW 100 be the truest possible. He could have sent a 1000 men up the Wall and kill everyone in the NW. Instead, he launched a frontal attack forcing the NW to do their humanly best. He magically strengthened the Wall that way. My firm belief is that this was the only reason he attacked the Wall.), Stannis managed to screw it all up royally. Until he left south. So, again, who is Mel and who is she really working for since the only obvious thing we know is that she is a shadow-binder and therefore is probably coming from Asshai?

Well, the 'stark cloak' that a bride is supposed to wear at a wedding should be grey, no?

a. the girl must have been Jon's sister, because no other bride would wear such cloak

b. the girl must have been running away from a marriage, because in no other moment a girl would wear that particular cloak

The first who is wearing a Stark cloak is marrying a Stark, because a bride gets cloaked by the heraldic of a husband. It's winter. So, anybody would be wearing a cloak. It says nothing at all. It's just a conjuncture and a bad one.

I see there are people wondering "who is Mel?" i have done a lot of work on figuring out the Red Priests & their agenda. And had some fab input from other posters along the way, such as seanF and others. We basically figured out that

• R'hllor is not a god from Asshai, but seems to have originated in Valeriya.
  • The religion pre-dates the Doom
  • The centre of the religion is around the three sisters and Volantis region, but there are temples all over Essos, and a few in Westeros
  • Mellisandre was a slave from the Volantis temple originally
  • She started as a temple prostitute, not a priest
  • she went to Asshai, where she learnt many magics, such as the shadow binding (which is not related to R'hllor)
  • she is part of a specific order of the religion
  • the magic required to read the flames did not come easy to her and she had to work at it very hard
  • She may or may not be undead in the same way as Beric was & Catelyn is.

The evidence for her being undead is that she does not die when she drinks the poison, we know Beric can be killed by physical means such as swords and hanging and then has to be brought back, but we also know he does not need to eat and so perhaps the reason the poison fails on Mel is that her stomach and digestive system is already dead, and because she does not need food to live the poison does not affect her?

mel is definitely a LOT older than she appears to be, and it is suggested that she is too old to be alive naturally.

She also does not need sleep really, and nor does Beric or Cat (Cat also does not need to eat and drink )

Also mel talks about being warm to the touch, the snow melts beneath her as she walks, she talks about the flame inside her. Beric literally breathes a flame from inside himself into cat.

Moqorro also appears to not need to eat, sleep or drink, otherwise how on earth has he survived ten days and nights adrift in the ocean?

Thorros tells us that he saw the ritual done many times in the temple at Myr, but he did not ever see it work before. So perhaps the Red Priests routinely sacrifice their mortal lives for their religion.

Drogo's resurrection seems to have had something to do with fire too as MMD calls for a brazier. beric does not say a prayer when he raises Cat, and he is no red Priest. He just breathes the fire into Cat.

These things indicate that there is no red God, and that this miracle is just magic, which the Red Priests have attributed to a god.

the fire reading also is not from an actual god called R'hllor, he is not sending them messages, they have just developped a formof magic which enables them to see visions in fire. If you read TP&TQ

Alys Rivers uses her Cook fires, amongst other sources, to see visions of Daemon Targaryen so that Aemon may see where he is. She is not a Red Priest, she is a bastard girl suspected by many to be from house Blackfyre.

Oh sorry got a bit OT. its just that R'hllor is one of my pet topics.

The Karstark Cloak is black with a white winter sun on the back. Alys would have been wearing a Karstark Cloak, and receiving a Karstark cloak as she was wedding a cousin. (2nd?) Also the wedding never happened she got to Jon before they managed to get her to a heart tree.

I see there are people wondering "who is Mel?" i have done a lot of work on figuring out the Red Priests & their agenda. And had some fab input from other posters along the way, such as seanF and others. We basically figured out that

The religion pre-dates the Doom

The centre of the religion is around the three sisters and Volantis region, but there are temples all over Essos, and a few in Westeros

Mellisandre was a slave from the Volantis temple originally

She started as a temple prostitute, not a priest

she went to Asshai, where she learnt many magics, such as the shadow binding (which is not related to R'hllor)

she is part of a specific order of the religion

the magic required to read the flames did not come easy to her and she had to work at it very hard

She may or may not be undead in the same way as Beric was & Catelyn is.

The evidence for her being undead is that she does not die when she drinks the poison, we know Beric can be killed by physical means such as swords and hanging and then has to be brought back, but we also know he does not need to eat and so perhaps the reason the poison fails on Mel is that her stomach and digestive system is already dead, and because she does not need food to live the poison does not affect her?

mel is definitely a LOT older than she appears to be, and it is suggested that she is too old to be alive naturally.

She also does not need sleep really, and nor does Beric or Cat (Cat also does not need to eat and drink )

Moqorro also appears to not need to eat, sleep or drink, otherwise how on earth has he survived ten days and nights adrift in the ocean?

Thorros tells us that he saw the ritual done many times in the temple at Myr, but he did not ever see it work before. So perhaps the Red Priests routinely sacrifice their mortal lives for their religion.

Drogo's resurrection seems to have had something to do with fire too as MMD calls for a brazier. beric does not say a prayer when he raises Cat, and he is no red Priest. He just breathes the fire into Cat.

These things indicate that there is no red God, and that this miracle is just magic, which the Red Priests have attributed to a god.

the fire reading also is not from an actual god called R'hhlor, he is not sending them messages, they have just developped a formof magic which enables them to see visions in fire. If you read TP&TQ

Alys Rivers uses her Cook fires, amongst other sources, to see visions of Daemon Targaryen so that Aemon may see where he is. She is not a Red Priest, she is a bastard girl suspected by many to be from house Blackfyre.

I agree with most of these things. I just do not believe anything Mel says, so her origin cannot be taken for granted. I firmly believe she IS the enemy and also a rouge from whatever she seems to represent. So, back to my question - who is Mel? We have no idea really.

I agree with most of these things. I just do not believe anything Mel says, so her origin cannot be taken for granted. I firmly believe she IS the enemy and also a rouge from whatever she seems to represent. So, back to my question - who is Mel? We have no idea really.

A number of the stuff The Weirwood Eyes pointed out does not just come from Mel's PoV but from her inner monologue. There is definitely more to Mel but I doubt she was lying to herself in her inner monologue.

Well we can ascertain for pretty certain that she is from the region surrounding Volantis, that she was snatched from her mother as a child, and sold as a slave that her name was Mellony and that she was Lot 7 at an auction. We can ascertain that the Red Temple of Volantis purchased her, where she was enslaved and made a sacred prostitute, that the life was hard there that she suffered to rise up to a priest, that she joined some specific order and travelled to Asshai to learn more powerfull and less socially acceptable magics. That she saw Dragonstone in her flames at some point when seeking AAR, she travelled there, where she befriends Selyse and convinces herself Stannis is AAR. And so converts Selyse and convinces Stannis she can help him win the IT.

Indeed consigliere it is the things mel tells us via her internal monologue which give us the best clues as to who she is, and what she really knows, can do ect.

In fact we know that she does lie to others about her origins, she gives out the impression that she is FROM Asshai, she is introduced to us in book 1 as Mellisandre OF Asshai. yet we discover from her inner thoughts that she was a child, snatsched and sold in Volantis.

She uses a Glamour to hide her tears of flame, thus hiding her origins as a sacred whore, she makes her appearance youthful. Yet many sources have given us the information that she is infact very old, She thinks she has practiced her art, for years BEYOND COUNT. and there have been leaks from the TV cast that she is well older than she appears. (I don't go in for citing the show as clues for the books but I feel in this case as it is something the actor has been told about herself it is relevant)

So what she presents to the world does not chime with what she thinks in her head. So we can assume that her inner thoughts are the truth.

Following up on a point made in a locked thread.

(5) Why would GRRM make such a minor character the solution to a prophesy?

Maybe the point is not that he's making a 'minor character' the solution of a prophesy, but rather that he's telling us that visions & prophesies can be misinterpreted, unreliable, and even unimportant.

Indeed consigliere it is the things mel tells us via her internal monologue which give us the best clues as to who she is, and what she really knows, can do ect.

In fact we know that she does lie to others about her origins, she gives out the impression that she is FROM Asshai, she is introduced to us in book 1 as Mellisandre OF Asshai. yet we discover from her inner thoughts that she was a child, snatsched and sold in Volantis.

She uses a Glamour to hide her tears of flame, thus hiding her origins as a sacred whore, she makes her appearance youthful. Yet many sources have given us the information that she is infact very old, She thinks she has practiced her art, for years BEYOND COUNT. and there have been leaks from the TV cast that she is well older than she appears. (I don't go in for citing the show as clues for the books but I feel in this case as it is something the actor has been told about herself it is relevant)

So what she presents to the world does not chime with what she thinks in her head. So we can assume that her inner thoughts are the truth.

I am not doubting any of that. What I am doubting is her god. Also, she could have not been born in Asshai, because there are NO children in Asshai. I assume learned man such as Stannis should know that much. He had spent most of his life at sea and tales about Asshai come from sailors. So, she is a creature of Asshai. Maybe she once was a Red Priestess, but I doubt her agenda.

Talking about greyscale, everything she sees about "the girl" points to greyscale.

“I saw water. Deep and blue and still, with a thin coat of ice just forming on it. It seemed to go on and on forever.”

“Long Lake. What else did you see around this girl?”

“Hills. Fields. Trees. A deer, once. Stones. She is staying well away from villages. When she can she rides along the bed of little streams, to throw hunters off her trail.”

The "girl" is moving through water. Greyscale. The fact that Mel misreads this leads me to believe she is NOT from Volantis at all, because any Volantine knows about the cursed waters. Secondly, she is blinded by her wish to get close to Jon and gain his trust. And thirdly, every single thing she sees in her flames from HER POV she is unable to interpret correctly. But, we know more than she does and we should be able to interpret it correctly or at least more correctly than a witch from Asshai who claims to be a Red Priestess.

I don't think anyone can doubt mel's dedication to her god, her inner thoughts confirm she is a true believer. But maybe she is part of a splinter group? She talks about other's of her order, maybe her order is an off shoot branch, kind of like the many sects that are offshoots of our own world religions.

Who use the same texts, sometimes adding their own too to suit their agenda. but believe in the same God, the same stories of resurrection? Christianity believes Christ will come again, but there are many off shoot churches who use the bible but are entirely separate to the original branch of the religion.

Mel is definitely not from Asshai, as you point out, she cannot be as there are no children there, but even before the world book revealed that the hints are there, clues one needs to pick up.

The text tells us that Volantis alone tattoo their slaves facially.

It tells us that the Red Temple there has three categories of slaves. priests, hands, and whores,

It tells us that Hands have a hand of flames on their face, that priests have flames all over their faces and heads.

Tyrion tells us that whores of Volantis have tears on their cheeks

Mel tells us her tears were of flame.

So we can do dot to dot and see that Mel was a sacred whore, not a priest, and that she came out of the Volantis temple. Now I said the region surrounding Volantis, because obviously every slave sold there s not from the city itself, but are captives. Actually she could be from anywhere. We see tyrion, penny & Jorah, all westerosi but are all captured and enslaved there. but she is not from Asshai and that was my point. We know she has been a slave in Volantis though. Melony lot 7 is her. it is her mother screaming as she is taken from her by slavers.

ETA: Maybe, her order are run away whores and hands who have formed their own sect? There is no hint in the text that they can move through the ranks and become priests themselves.

perhaps this is why she has her own agenda?

I had the same thought about the Stark Maiden's cloak being the reason Mel thought the girl was escaping a marriage, but I looked it up and the Stark colours are grey on white, not white on grey. So a girl in a Stark cloak would be a white girl, not a grey girl.

The religion pre-dates the Doom

The centre of the religion is around the three sisters and Volantis region, but there are temples all over Essos, and a few in Westeros

Mellisandre was a slave from the Volantis temple originally

She started as a temple prostitute, not a priest

she went to Asshai, where she learnt many magics, such as the shadow binding (which is not related to R'hllor)

she is part of a specific order of the religion

the magic required to read the flames did not come easy to her and she had to work at it very hard

She may or may not be undead in the same way as Beric was & Catelyn is.

Also mel talks about being warm to the touch, the snow melts beneath her as she walks, she talks about the flame inside her. Beric literally breathes a flame from inside himself into cat.

the fire reading also is not from an actual god called R'hllor, he is not sending them messages, they have just developped a formof magic which enables them to see visions in fire. If you read TP&TQ

Mel also mentions in her chapter, that she should eat in order to keep the appearances for Devan - so another tidbit that probably means she doesn't need to eat.

The first who is wearing a Stark cloak is marrying a Stark, because a bride gets cloaked by the heraldic of a husband. It's winter. So, anybody would be wearing a cloak. It says nothing at all. It's just a conjuncture and a bad one.

I thought that at the beginning of the ceremony everyone starts with his own cloak, and then they exchange it. But I might be mistaken. :-)

Thank you for your observation

I had the same thought about the Stark Maiden's cloak being the reason Mel thought the girl was escaping a marriage, but I looked it up and the Stark colours are grey on white, not white on grey. So a girl in a Stark cloak would be a white girl, not a grey girl.

Cool, I was not wrong alone :)

I thought that at the beginning of the ceremony everyone starts with his own cloak, and then they exchange it. But I might be mistaken. :-)

Thank you for your observation

<snip

Yes, but Alys' maiden cloak would have Karstark colors, not Stark colors. Unless they were trying to stake a claim on Winterfell through her, which does not seem to be the case.

I do not need Moqorro at all. This would suffice:

Also, who is Mel? Is she a Red Priestess or some undead chick with her own agenda? As far as we know, Red Priesthood is behind Dany thinking she is AA. Mel somehow did not get a memo. She is good with illusions, but all we know of her "magic" is that she is a shadow binder. That has nothing to do with Red Priesthood. That's Asshai black magic.

Nice quotation. But you're assuming that just because that's all the author gave us, that's all there is to it. You may even be right about that, but we don't know for sure yet.

She's a red priestess AND an undead chick with her own agenda. She's not a full shadow binder. You can tell because she doesn't wear the mask that all the shadowbinders wear. I'm guessing she flunked one of the courses and didn't get her diploma from the Asshai'i Holistic Technical Institute.

True she's not backing Dany but that could be because she somehow knows that Dany is not AAR. If Jon Snow is (per what she's seeing in the flames, and totally missing), then Mel was right to go to Westeros. She's like the proverbial broken clock. Right twice a day, and useless the rest of the time. I would find it consistent with GRRM's style and history to have the most inept prophet in the story be the one who gets the most important part right.

We know she or someone she cared about was named Melony and sold as a slave. Melony was Lot 7, or was part of Lot 7, which might be why she's against the Faith of the Seven.

We know she doesn't seem to eat or sleep. We know she does see things in the flames but tends to get them wrong. We know she's bluffing her way through a lot of things. We know she tried to save Arya--via Mance, and tried to warn Jon about the upcoming performance of Bowen and the Stabbers.

The author says Mel is misunderstood. Since the idea that she's evil seems to be the most popular one, I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's not evil, she's just as good at her job as most weather men are.

Yes, but Alys' maiden cloak would have Karstark colors, not Stark colors. Unless they were trying to stake a claim on Winterfell through her, which does not seem to be the case.

Nice quotation. But you're assuming that just because that's all the author gave us, that's all there is to it. You may even be right about that, but we don't know for sure yet.

She's a red priestess AND an undead chick with her own agenda. She's not a full shadow binder. You can tell because she doesn't wear the mask that all the shadowbinders wear. I'm guessing she flunked one of the courses and didn't get her diploma from the Asshai'i Holistic Technical Institute.

True she's not backing Dany but that could be because she somehow knows that Dany is not AAR. If Jon Snow is (per what she's seeing in the flames, and totally missing), then Mel was right to go to Westeros. She's like the proverbial broken clock. Right twice a day, and useless the rest of the time. I would find it consistent with GRRM's style and history to have the most inept prophet in the story be the one who gets the most important part right.

We know she or someone she cared about was named Melony and sold as a slave. Melony was Lot 7, or was part of Lot 7, which might be why she's against the Faith of the Seven.

We know she doesn't seem to eat or sleep. We know she does see things in the flames but tends to get them wrong. We know she's bluffing her way through a lot of things. We know she tried to save Arya--via Mance, and tried to warn Jon about the upcoming performance of Bowen and the Stabbers.

The author says Mel is misunderstood. Since the idea that she's evil seems to be the most popular one, I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's not evil, she's just as good at her job as most weather men are.

Magic school dropout, no graduation day for you

Magic school dropout, missed your midterms and flunked voodoo...

Silliness aside, I agree, Mel is winging it. She's cobbled together her own combination of red priesthood and Asshai magic and parlor tricks, and isn't really an official representative of anything IMO.

(I actually have this pet crackpot theory that GRRM made her really powerful in ACoK and then decided she was too world-breaking, and retconned her into being less powerful. But that theory isn't really necessary; it could just be that we see her weaknesses and bullshitting more now that we have her POV.)

I do apologise to the OP for derailing this thread. I agree with all the data you posted re Mel. But we are not discussing her, we are discussing the vision and her interpretation of it. I have already stated what I think the vision means. I provided quotes I think point to that. I provided events that are heralding it. So, I have nothing to add. But, what I do have to add regarding Asshai witch is that Stannis used to be a righteous man, a brave man, an honourable man, a dutiful man. He wasn't a soul of a party, but he had many good qualities. Mel smashed all that to pieces. Stannis is now a kinslayer. Cursed by gods. So, she is not helping. I am glad Stannis left her on the Wall. I hope he may yet regain his moral code. So, by what she does and how she does it, she cannot be in a service of any good. I do not see her as a Red Priestess and your speculation about a splinter group seems unconvincing, because we have no hint of that in 5 books + TWOIAF. I personally believe she works for the Great Other. Whether she is aware of that is another matter. If we compare her to Thoros of Myr, we can see that he is not immoral. Even Moqorro, who has his own agenda and is manipulating Victarion, did not use the same methods, she does. So, wearing red does not convince me of anything. Since she is totally glamoured, you and I have no way of knowing if she is wearing a mask or not. She is dangerous, because she is immoral. I do not see her defending any greater good. I don't see any noble cause in her agenda.

Archived