Tyrion and Sansa will be King and Queen

chrisdaw

To deny Tyrion will be King and Sansa Queen here's what you have to chalk up to coincidence or dismiss as irrelevant and without design. Only in a meticulously crafted story from a single mind there are no coincidences, nothing is there but by design.

Tyrion taking the alias Hugor Hill. The legendary first king of the Seven given for bride a maiden supple as willow with eyes of deep blue, Sansa all over.

Probably the strongest historic character parallel in universe is Tyrion and Viserys II. Viserys II held the realm together as Hand for his nephew. Tyrion held KL together as Hand for his nephew for a time. Viserys II received no credit for his time served as hand, as Tyrion likewise didn't. Viserys II was rumoured to have poisoned his nephew to gain the throne, as Tyrion is alleged to have done. Viserys II was frailer but more mature than his brother. Tyrion is "frailer" but more mature than Jaime. Viserys II was sent to Pentos by a brother. Jaime has Varys save Tyrion and he sends him to Pentos. Settling the parallel GRRM has Tyrion defend Viserys II against the common slanders Oberyn taunts him with.

Viserys II was not well loved, but none the less a good king, wise and shrewd, Tyrion through and through. He looked to build upon the reign of Jaehaerys I, which brings us to the next parallel.

Jaehaerys I, the wise. A great traveller, as Tyrion wished to be in his youth, a wish he is achieving in adulthood. Visited the wall, as did Tyrion. A thinker more than a warrior, but noted as decent enough in combat where he was needed to be, much the same as Tyrion. A great builder of drains, of all things, drains, Tyrion being the character with by far the greatest affinity to drainage. Named the conciliator for diplomatically ending the war with the Faith he inherited from a family member, plenty of scope for history to repeat that note. Married to the only noted blue eyed Targaryen queen, Alysanne, the Sansa parallel.

Good queen Alysanne, loved by all, a queen from the mould of Sansa's hopes and dreams. Eyes of blue, tall and dignified. The queen with an affinity with the North. The name plays closely on Alayne, closer with Sansa added. Alys means noble, making for a noble Anne, and drawing parallel to the real world historic parallel of Sansa, Anne Neville.

Tyrion parallels king Richard III of England, and Sansa his wife Anne Neville. The parallels are numerous. King Richard III had a physical deformity, portrayed with a hunched back and monstrous in appearance by Shakespeare (an exaggeration). Tyrion is physically deformed. Richard had a short reign which is generally thought prosperous and progressive in modern times. Tyrion had a short but succesful reign as Hand. Though his reign is generally thought well of in modern times in the aftermath of his reign Richard was decried as a villainous king by the realm and London. Tyrion suffers the same type of backlash in King's Landing after his tenure as Hand. Richard III was accused (very possibly correctly) of murdering his nephews who would have been kings before him. Tyrion is accused of murdering his nephew Joffrey to become king. Richard III was portrayed as a monstrous villain by Shakespeare in the play Richard III.

Tyrion is likewise portrayed in the Bloody Hand by Phario Forel in the Mercy sample chapter. The opening scene and language of the Bloody Hand pays homage to the opening scene of Richard III.

Richard III married a traitor's daughter Anne Neville, it is commonly believed he did so for her family claim. Tyrion is married to a traitor's daughter Sansa for her family claim to Winterfell and Lordship of the North.

Anne Neville was the daughter of a declared traitor. Sansa is the daughter of a declared traitor. The Neville's were a powerful Northern family in England. The Starks are a powerful Northern family in Westeros. Anne Neville was married to Edward of Lancaster who it was hoped by his mother and supporters would become King. Edward is commonly depicted as having been cruel to Anne and generally a bloodthirsty individual. Sansa is betrothed to Joffrey when he is similarly positioned to become king and likewise of a similar character as Edward and is cruel to Sansa. Margaret of Anjou consented to the marriage of her son Edward to Anne Neville as Cersei consented (for a time) to the marriage of Joffrey to Sansa, and later Tyrion to Sansa. Margaret is commonly depicted as having been rude or worse towards Anne, as Cersei treated Sansa harshly.

And thus we have Tyrion taking for his alias a fabled king of legend, paralleling two kings of Westeros and one historic king of England. For Sansa we have her paralleling Hugor's maiden wife, presumably his queen, a great queen of Westeros and a famous queen of England. Onwards to foreshadowing and the groundwork that has been established to allow it all to come to pass.

Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.

Simple logic should suggest Sansa is far and away the favourite for Cersei's younger more beautiful queen, she being more prominent than both Arianne and Marge and her history with Cersei allowing for far more potential impact than if it were the detached Dany. And the groundwork for it to occur is there.

Cersei has hitched her wagon totally to Ser Robert Strong. When he is defeated and revealed, so does Cersei fall for being in cahoots with necromancers and the undead. Ser Robert Strong is obviously destined to be defeated by his living younger brother Sandor, a fight long in the making and foreshadowed, with whom Sansa has a brewing relationship.

He looked south, and saw the great blue-green rush of the Trident. He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

All the elements are nicely wrapped up in another of the major prophesies, linking Sandor and Ungregor to Sansa and signalling Ungregor as an antagonist by having him loom over everyone.

Sandor defeats Ungregor in Sansa's defence, Ungregor is revealed for what he is and thus Cersei is felled by the younger and more beautiful soon to be queen Sansa. A logical realisation of major foreshadowing and natural conclusion to character arcs, all in the manner that provides the most fulfilment and narrative excitement.

Jaime also features in the vision, as is completely fitting. Jaime who made a vow to Catelyn to keep Sansa safe.

I have made kings and unmade them. Sansa Stark is my last chance for honor.

He will defend her and also play his part in defeating Robert Strong, but his input doesn't end there. As per the above quote and parallels with Criston Cole (which is a topic in itself that doesn't need going into here), Jaime will play the Kingmaker.

Jaime will begin making a king by unmaking a queen, he is motivated to act in the interest of the realm and his children, this pits him against Cersei as she is a terrible ruler and mother and needs to hold the children to rule through them.

If Cersei can be put aside, Ser Kevan may agree to serve as Tommen's Hand.

The method, besides helping defeat Ungregor, is to publicly proclaim himself the father, as this quote shows he intends to do.

He thought of Myrcella. I will need to tell her too. The Dornishmen might not like that. Doran Martell had betrothed her to his son in the belief that she was Robert's blood.

Bringing us back to Tyrion.

Richard III and Anne came to power when their child nephews were declared illegitimate. The circumstances for a very similar occurrence for these strong parallels is nicely set, thanks to Jaime the Kingmaker.

Tyrion too has ample cause to bring about Cersei's downfall, as per this pointedly foreboding quote.

I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.

So we have Cersei foreshadowed to be brought down by a younger more beautiful queen having hitched her wagon to Robert Strong who looms over Sansa and is destined to be brought down by Sandor and Jaime. Sandor, the protector of man who already played Sansa's protector once and is her love interest and Jaime whose road to redemption is dependant on him holding to his vow of keeping Sansa safe. Jaime, the kingmaker, set to reveal Cersei's hold on the throne is all by way of a lie and bring about the circumstances that brought Tyrion and Sansa parallels Richard and Anne to their thrones. And there's Tyrion, Hugor Hill, he who stands as tall as a king, is named for the colour of royalty and has been given the younger more beautiful queen for wife and the kingmaker for brother. The favourite of the author and character with the highest word count and most POV chapters.

When Tyrion and Sansa take the throne, it should not be said it came out of nowhere.

You've done an excellent job collecting information, it's an impressive post. However, I will have to disagree with you as I have in another thread. The comparisons between Tyrion and Sansa and other figures in Westeros and the real world and very interesting, but doesn't necessitate that their story arcs exactly repeat those. There are just as many dissimilarities between the comparisons. Take Richard III for example; because Richard's brother George was married to Anne's sister Isabel, must Jaime marry Arya to make the story the same? Of course not. Writers take inspiration from many places, and it is quite likely that GRRM took inspiration from Richard III and Anne since we know he has taken a lot from the War of the Roses, but it doesn't mean that Tyrion and Sansa will become King and Queen just because Richard III and Anne were. Also, Tyrion doesn't have a claim to the throne at all. You're saying that Jaime will reveal that Cersei's hold on the throne is all a lie, but that wouldn't make room for Tyrion and Sansa. Since Cersei's children are illegitimate, Stannis has the claim. Daenerys also has a claim. Aegon, if he is real, also has a claim. Tyrion has no claim whatsoever, he is only the brother of the queen which grants him no rights to the throne. The same goes for the similarities in Westeros history. GRRM does like to make similarities between characters in the past and the characters in the present, but again, it doesn't mean that Tyrion and Sansa will be King and Queen just because they have some similarities to past Kings and Queens of Westeros. Jaime as Criston Cole, doesn't mean that he will make Tyrion king. Criston Cole was the one who convinced Aegon to rule Westeros instead of Rhaenyra who was actually named heir, thus beginning the Dance of Dragons. If Jaime were the next Criston Cole, he would be involved in the new Dance of Dragons which has nothing to do with Tyrion. We also don't know about who the "younger more beautiful queen" is, it's not a foregone conclusion that it's Sansa. While it is interesting to make parallels, it seems as though you've ignored the actual text in favour of proving your desired outcome by using red herrings.

In the actual text, we have a Tyrion and Sansa who don't like eachother and don't even think about eachother. They don't even have a reason to remain married politically. Sansa is technically no longer the heir of Winterfell, and though I'd like to see her reclaim it, other political events have to happen first. While she could hold power in the Vale, that would be through a Vale marriage, and she can't be married to two people. The text has also been set up for them to get an anulment. There is zero foreshadowing for them to take the throne together. Tyrion also believes that she poisoned Joffrey and let Tyrion take the blame by abandoning him. Tyrion also doesn't have anything to offer Sansa. He's a convicted Kingslayer with no money, lands or title. She is also repulsed by him and has no feelings for him whatsoever. You are also forgetting that for Tyrion to somehow get on the throne, Stannis, Daenerys and Aegon would all have to die/give up their quest for the throne, in favour of someone who has no claim and no armies to take it by force.

So no, Tyrion and Sansa will not become King and Queen of Westeros.

The Anne Neville comparison is limited. Anne Neville ran away from her house arrest dressed as a maid. She was found by Prince Richard, her cousin who she then married. She chose to marry Richard, they were never betrothed. Either they agreed the alliance or they were in love, they grew up together in the same household. Anne was also the younger of two sisters. Now Isobel Neville was the elder, she was betrothed to the King's brother the Duke of Clarence when her family rebelled against the throne. Her family lost.

While I agree the Margaret of Anjou parallel I don't think any of the characters are straight rip offs. Three characters have traits of Richard III after all. So you will see bits here and there all over the plot, that doesn't mean the characters will be a total parallel

Why would Tyrion be king when Tommen and Myrcella are declared illegitimate, neither Sansa nor Tyrion are royals?

And why would Jaime want to make Tyrion king? The last time I checked, the two couldn't stand each other (well, hate, really, on Tyrion's part), why would Littlefinger part with Sansa when he went to great lengths to get her away from Tyrion?

How will Sandor fight, especially someone so much stronger, when he can't even walk properly?

Why would Dany step aside for Tyrion?

And come to think of it, which of the 7 kingdoms would want and back Tyrion&Sansa?

Not a single one has anything to gain from Tyrion and Sansa being King & Queen.

I am unsure if Tyrion and Sansa will remain married or become King and Queen together. However, I do believe that Tyrion and Sansa will reunite and have a larger part to play in the game separately and together. As your analysis points out, GRRM put them together for a reason and added these rich parallels and allegory to their relationship for a reason. I think some people just dismiss Tyrion and Sansa's marriage too easily. Not only did it cost Sansa her place as Robb's heir (because Bran and Rickon were assumed dead), it serves as a plot device to protect her from other political marriage too soon. Both Tyrion and Sansa are wanted for kingslaying, neither can stroll into the sept and demand an annulment (based off unconsumation or (f)Tysha) because it would give them (or LF) away. Which is why LF wants Sansa to be widowed. But if Tyrion continues to live, Sansa is unmarriagable and she is a Lannister (through marriage). I believe GRRM has set all this up for a massive pay off in the end. I'm not sure what will happen, but I think once Tyrion realizes that Sansa didn't frame him, they could become allies.

It is possible Tyrion will be king IFF he is Provably Aerys' bastard who is later legitimized/named as heir by a Targaryen queen regnant or King who later dies, along with all other claimants who can be argued to be true blooded Targaryen claimants (so Aegon, Jon, and Dany at least, probably shireen and Stannis will be killed or disinherited by one Targaryen or another).

Otherwise I don't see a chance for it. Why on earth would he even think of making a claim to the IT if he's simply a Lannister, and why would Jaime?

As for the marraige to sansa lasting I don't have too much of an opinion there. I know a lot of sansa fans hate it, but I think it could work as a political match. Likely they would both have their own lovers as well.

I am unsure if Tyrion and Sansa will remain married or become King and Queen together. However, I do believe that Tyrion and Sansa will reunite and have a larger part to play in the game separately and together. As your analysis points out, GRRM put them together for a reason and added these rich parallels and allegory to their relationship for a reason. I think some people just dismiss Tyrion and Sansa's marriage too easily. Not only did it cost Sansa her place as Robb's heir (because Bran and Rickon were assumed dead), it serves as a plot device to protect her from other political marriage too soon. Both Tyrion and Sansa are wanted for kingslaying, neither can stroll into the sept and demand an annulment (based off unconsumation or (f)Tysha) because it would give them (or LF) away. Which is why LF wants Sansa to be widowed. But if Tyrion continues to live, Sansa is unmarriagable and she is a Lannister (through marriage). I believe GRRM has set all this up for a massive pay off in the end. I'm not sure what will happen, but I think once Tyrion realizes that Sansa didn't frame him, they could become allies.

Agreed. Sansa and Tyrion's relationship has a much larger part to play given their relationships to Cersei, experience with the game, and roles as underdogs.

Given the massive what-ifs involved with their stories (will Tyrion inherit Casterly Rock under a new administration, will Bran or Rickon return to make a claim on Winterfell, can Sansa legally inherit Littlefinger's estate, including Harrenhal) the exact nature of the pay-off you're describing is up in the air.

But I very much agree these two will have a major impact, and the Iron Throne could potentially be part of it if Tyrion becomes a dragon rider and Sansa becomes a rich Lady with an army backing her.

Otherwise I don't see a chance for it. Why on earth would he even think of making a claim to the IT if he's simply a Lannister, and why would Jaime?

GRRM explains why here.

“If I were you? I would go west instead of east. Land in Dorne and raise my banners. The Seven

Kingdoms will never be more ripe for conquest than they are right now. A boy king sits the Iron Throne.

The north is in chaos, the riverlands a devastation, a rebel holds Storm’s End and Dragonstone. When

winter comes, the realm will starve. And who remains to deal with all of this, who rules the little king

who rules the Seven Kingdoms? Why, my own sweet sister. There is no one else. My brother, Jaime,

thirsts for battle, not for power. He’s run from every chance he’s had to rule. My uncle Kevan would

make a passably good regent if someone pressed the duty on him, but he will never reach for it. The

gods shaped him to be a follower, not a leader.” Well, the gods and my lord father. “Mace Tyrell would

grasp the sceptre gladly, but mine own kin are not like to step aside and give it to him. And everyone

hates Stannis. Who does that leave? Why, only Cersei.

“Westeros is torn and bleeding, and I do not doubt that even now my sweet sister is binding up

the wounds ... with salt. Cersei is as gentle as King Maegor, as selfless as Aegon the Unworthy, as wise as

Mad Aerys. She never forgets a slight, real or imagined. She takes caution for cowardice and dissent for

defiance. And she is greedy. Greedy for power, for honor, for love. Tommen’s rule is bolstered by all of

the alliances that my lord father built so carefully, but soon enough she will destroy them, every one.

Land and raise your banners, and men will flock to your cause. Lords great and small, and smallfolk too.

But do not wait too long, my prince. The moment will not last. The tide that lifts you now will soon

recede. Be certain you reach Westeros before my sister falls and someone more competent takes her

place.”

Aegon dies, Dany is rejected and we are back there, only the realm will be in even worse shape. Unless someone competent steps up Cersei will rule (again) for simple lack of an alternative, and no-one left who gives a shit about the realm will want that. Not Jaime, not the Faith and not Tyrion. It becomes a game of selling Tyrion and decrying Cersei to the realm, thus the need for a kingmaker and younger more beautiful queen to drag Cersei down.

Tyrion will not be a king of anything. GRRM loves freaks and misfits but this aint gonna happen. Sansa will be Aegon VI Queen but they will be killed by Dany and her dragons and minions. Sansa is destined for a tragic ending, however, her virginity has been preserved for someone important - a king.

I doubt that Sansa will be killed, after all GRRM has said that she is in for a bittersweet ending to her story, not a tragic or violent one. That being said I agree, Sansa can at best be a consort to a rightful King. Tyrion has no dynastic claim but he has allied himself with one person who has a claim, (Aegon, although that claim may be false) and he is trying to ally himself with one (Dany) of the only two people who so far have legitimate provable claims to the throne (the other being Stannis).

Now of course we have many wildcards; First,

Sansa and Tyrion are married but they don't love one another. Nor is this likely to change, even if Tyrion discovers that Sansa played no part in Joffrey's death that isn't going to change Sansa's feelings towards Tyrion. And what does Tyrion have to give to Sansa. He can't be King. He's a Kingslayer and worse, a kinslayer in the eyes of everyone not in the know. He's not goig to inherit Casterly Rock. And he's broke and hated by almost everyone in Westeros.

Second,

Maegery Tyrell and her family are bound and determined that she becomes Queen. After all they have now married her to Three Kings, odds are that they will push for a fourth. The Tyrells of course have no claim to the throne, according ot her her marriage to Renly was never consummated (and that claim might be the death of her. If the Faith tries her and uses her not being a virgin against her she can't really claim that she lost it to Renly, nor can she claim to have lost it to Joff or Tommen. So she might have to claim either that she is a liar or an adultress.

Third

Of course there's Jon Snow and there is no reason to put forward his claims here, others have done that much better than I could. This BTW is what I see as the likeliest case that leads Sansa to be Queen, Jon turns out to have a good claim to the Throne and Sansa's marriage to Tyrion is dissolved and she marries Jon. IMHO, it's a longshot at best.

As for Tyrion I give him zero chance, I don't even think he wants to be King. About the only chance I give him is to get his marriage dissolved and then to marry Stannis's daughter. Again, I don't see that happening. Of course there is the possibility that Tyrion is actually an heir in his own right, that he isn't Tywin's son but that would probably mean that he was a bastard (unless he was switched at birth and therefore Tyrion would probably be at the end of a long line of Bastard claimants, including those of Robert who are still alive.

I love the post, and agree with the thesis: Tyrion and Sansa will take the Iron Throne. Great parallels, didn't know the extent of the similariities. Like the chances of Jaime playing Kingmaker, I have thought his declaration of fatherhood to be coming since AFFC.

Of all the reasons to fly in the face of the abundant planning by GRRM, that Tyrion and Sansa don't love each other is the most trivial. As if love undoes marriage or rarely ever trumps expedience. The only political ambition in House Tyrell belongs to Mace, and he is not long for this world. The Tyrells are soon to be a non-event, they may even go the way of the Gardeners if Mace lives long enough to drag them all down with him. Jon comes while Tyrion and Sansa sit the throne, he marches South on their throne.

I doubt that Sansa will be killed, after all GRRM has said that she is in for a bittersweet ending to her story, not a tragic or violent one. That being said I agree, Sansa can at best be a consort to a rightful King. Tyrion has no dynastic claim but he has allied himself with one person who has a claim, (Aegon, although that claim may be false) and he is trying to ally himself with one (Dany) of the only two people who so far have legitimate provable claims to the throne (the other being Stannis).

Now of course we have many wildcards; First,

Sansa and Tyrion are married but they don't love one another. Nor is this likely to change, even if Tyrion discovers that Sansa played no part in Joffrey's death that isn't going to change Sansa's feelings towards Tyrion. And what does Tyrion have to give to Sansa. He can't be King. He's a Kingslayer and worse, a kinslayer in the eyes of everyone not in the know. He's not goig to inherit Casterly Rock. And he's broke and hated by almost everyone in Westeros.

Second,

Maegery Tyrell and her family are bound and determined that she becomes Queen. After all they have now married her to Three Kings, odds are that they will push for a fourth. The Tyrells of course have no claim to the throne, according ot her her marriage to Renly was never consummated (and that claim might be the death of her. If the Faith tries her and uses her not being a virgin against her she can't really claim that she lost it to Renly, nor can she claim to have lost it to Joff or Tommen. So she might have to claim either that she is a liar or an adultress.

Third

Of course there's Jon Snow and there is no reason to put forward his claims here, others have done that much better than I could. This BTW is what I see as the likeliest case that leads Sansa to be Queen, Jon turns out to have a good claim to the Throne and Sansa's marriage to Tyrion is dissolved and she marries Jon. IMHO, it's a longshot at best.

As for Tyrion I give him zero chance, I don't even think he wants to be King. About the only chance I give him is to get his marriage dissolved and then to marry Stannis's daughter. Again, I don't see that happening. Of course there is the possibility that Tyrion is actually an heir in his own right, that he isn't Tywin's son but that would probably mean that he was a bastard (unless he was switched at birth and therefore Tyrion would probably be at the end of a long line of Bastard claimants, including those of Robert who are still alive.

This. I think its obvious that Tyrion wants Casterly Rock. His whole life the Rock was the one thing he was denied and told he would never have. I think for Tyrion his ultimate goal is the rock, by now he hates Kings landing and those within it.

GRRM explains why here.

Aegon dies, Dany is rejected and we are back there, only the realm will be in even worse shape. Unless someone competent steps up Cersei will rule (again) for simple lack of an alternative, and no-one left who gives a shit about the realm will want that. Not Jaime, not the Faith and not Tyrion. It becomes a game of selling Tyrion and decrying Cersei to the realm, thus the need for a kingmaker and younger more beautiful queen to drag Cersei down.

So...somehow Dany gets rejected and there's some kind of Great Council/free-for-all to see who'll be the next king, and of all the Seven Kingdoms, the people chosen are Tyrion and Sansa?

Like, what kind of Disney Channel Original Movie

No, not all of the Kingdoms, as a Great Council appears to be majority rules. And yeah I know, Sansa Stark/Tully/Arryn/Lannister receiving the majority support of the realm would be so out of nowhere... no groundwork in place for that at all.

No, not all of the Kingdoms, as a Great Council appears to be majority rules. And yeah I know, Sansa Stark/Tully/Arryn/Lannister receiving the majority support of the realm would be so out of nowhere... no groundwork in place for that at all.

Yes, because Houses Stark, Tully and Arryn just love the Imp and his ilk. I can just see Edmure and the Blackfish sharing a beer or two with him, right after he's elected king. I can just see Arya and Robert Arryn playing with King Tyrion. You know, because those Houses love him so much

The only political ambition in House Tyrell belongs to Mace, and he is not long for this world.

Maergery is at least as ambitious as Cersei. She married Renly when his star was ascendant, then Joff when he was to be King, now a young child like Tommen, how is that not ambitious? Also the Tyrells tried to get a claim to the North through Sansa themselves. Even after Sansa is married they are trying to get her under their spell. She and Cersei are definitely vying with one another for control of the King. No, the Tyrells mean to have the throne, in this generation or the next. Heck, Maegery wasn't the only Tyrell with a relationship with Renly. And the idea that every legitimate claimant is passed over just to give the throne to the most hated man in Westeros (now that Tywin and Gregor are dead) just beggars the imagination. It would be Deus ex machina at it's worst. If I thought that was the ending to ASOIAF then I would eject right now.

Archived