How long will it take you to finish TWOW when it is released?

Sithis

That's nice. I'm not sure I want to use my vacation time to read a book. :P

As for me, it'll probably take me a week. As much as I like the story, I find GRRM's writing to be uneven and at times clunky so it takes me more than usual to read his books.

I will probably totally cheat and take a sneak peak at what happens to my favorite characters. :devil:

I get a lot of vacation days, and I'll use any excuse to take off work. :P

Also, shame on you for peaking ahead. :spank:

I listen to the audiobooks first, and generally when I'm doing other things so wasnt listening 24-7. Probably took me about 2 months. Was fun to have a break from the forums. I suspect it will be similar next time, though I will probably skip Roy dotrice this time around since his last reading was rather disappointing.

:uhoh: well to each their own - I would never spoil myself that way. Is this common (open question) ?

I would never do that! It would be cheating! I'd much rather suffer my way through the less interesting chapters (if there indeed are any) than skip ahead. I'm afraid of spoilers to the point that I'll probably always stop reading at the end of a spread and leave the bookmark in that spread so that when I open the book again I won't accidentally get a glimpse of what lies ahead. Yes I'm cautious because when I was reading the Deathly Hallows and I'd just started it, I accidentally opened the book at a random point and realised to my shock that I was reading the scene where Hedwig died. And I also managed to spoil the RW to myself although my reckless use of the Wiki site is to blame for that instead of reckless use of bookmarks.

So, I will be very careful not to skip ahead, not even a couple of phrases. :P It's a very hard thing to do, especially when you're at the very end of the chapter and you know there's a cliffhanger coming, it almost feels like your eyes are inevitably drifting down a couple of lines to see the concluding sentence...

I get a lot of vacation days, and I'll use any excuse to to take off work. :P

Also, shame on you peaking ahead. :spank:

What can I say I love spoilers! :LOL:

It doesn't ruin the experience at all for me, it excites me to know where I'm heading, the journey for me is the best part. :D

Like Mikkel said, to each it's own. We all have our vices.

I'll be on the audio book (hopefully out at the same time). Probably 3-4 hours a day so a couple of weeks should do it.

I put in a lot of windshield time so I do the audiobooks sometimes too.

You can actually get some things out of it that you might otherwise miss.

Like if I read a chapter then listen to it, sometimes different things come through.

I would never skip ahead. Just personal preference and although I'm dying to find out what happens to Jon, I'll wait for the reveal in the proper order of the story.

As far as spoilers...meh...I won't be angry if it happens, but will take reasonable precautions to avoid various internet sites until done...but spoilers aren't really an issue. We all read the books over and over...sometimes dozens of times and it doesn't detract from the experience. Sort of like sex...the first time might be important, but it gets way more fun as time goes on.

I don't understand how people can skip ahead because they find a particular POV boring.

Plot points would be missed.

For example, Balon's death is revealed in an Arya chapter.

I guess that later those people will complain that "we don't understand the plot" and that they don't like the book...

I would guess between 2 and 3 days, even if it is the largest volume yet in the series. As long as I get to take a couple vacation days for it.

Sometimes I can read at work, just depends on what is going on at the time, but I cover much more pages at home with no distractions. So if for some reason, I'm not able to take off work when it comes out, bump that up to around 5 to 7 days and just know that I will be exhausted each day from staying up too late saying to myself "one more chapter and then sleep".

They should, they did it with the HP ones, and I had to endure stupid magicians asking super hard questions only a hardcore fan would know, like what was the name of Harry Potter's owl

Hedwig.

And probably 4-5 days. I found out about it a couple of months before ADWD came out, bought a box set, read them all within a week. But ADWD took me waaay longer, something like 2 weeks, I was involved in several projects but managed to plough through Tyrion's leg cramps and Dany's butt cramps.

Archived