April 2015 Reads

TheRevanchist

I finally finished Fortune's Favorites, the 3rd book in Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. I thought it was brilliant in its detail and its writing. It took me nearly two weeks to read but it was worth it.

I'm definitely not up for something long and challenging right now, so onwards to Anne Bishop's Written in Red.

I've finished The Skull Throne, and now I'm doing a re-read (more of a re-flick through) of the previous novels in the series to re-establish my understanding of a few things. The Skull Throne was another good read from Mr Brett, IMO.

Giant Thief by David Tallerman was blah. I'm a sucker for thieves and/or heists which is why I am a fan of Douglas Hulick, Scott Lynch and Rachel Aaron, but this one had poor plot and worldbuilding. It was just one chase scene after another. The best character was the giant itself and it subverted the tropes by being a pacifist, vegetarian and intelligent.

Now reading an indie author on another heist/thieves book called The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes. This is basically the Italian Job (I love this movie) in a fantasy setting.

I've finished The Skull Throne, and now I'm doing a re-read (more of a re-flick through) of the previous novels in the series to re-establish my understanding of a few things. The Skull Throne was another good read from Mr Brett, IMO.

I really enjoyed it, too. Once again, I thought it was a bit heavy on the Krasian side of things, as the only characters there that I really enjoy are Jardir and Abban, but at least there was very little in the way of flashbacks this time. I was surprised at how much death there was in this one.

Poor Rojer.

Finished Witches Abroad, I liked it better than Wyrd Sisters but there is something about the Witches series that just doesn't click for me. I think it comes from how Magrat comes off as a minor character instead of a titular character.

Finished Witches Abroad, I liked it better than Wyrd Sisters but there is something about the Witches series that just doesn't click for me. I think it comes from how Magrat comes off as a minor character instead of a titular character.

Whatever the shortcoming of the other characters, the adventures of Greebo make all of the witches stories awesome. :D

I read City of Stairs. As per the hype, it's very good, although I'm perhaps not quite as high on it as some. It dances the line between Gilman and Mieville well, but imo doesn't quite match either (or indeed American Elsewhere, the only other Robert Jackson-Bennett book I've read to date).

It does however make Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson, which takes on some similar ideas I think, look slightly graceless and oddly cartoonish in comparison (I've been struggling with that book the last couple of weeks).

I got something called The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan today - I might start that next.

I have finished Olaf Stapledons StarMaker (1937) which I enjoyed thoroughly but found an increasing dissonance towards the end of the novel - I just felt like I was missing something but then again that is the whole point of the continuously strengthened viewpoint of the anthropomorphic failings of the narrator.

Also read E. M. Forsters The Machine Stops (1909) which is available for free download. This is an incredibly predictive piece of work. It is so hard to appreciate this was written over 100 years ago. It stands the test of time very well and at approx. 40 pages is well worth the time for anyone interested in early and speculative science fiction.

Archived