April 2015 Reads

TheRevanchist

So, instead of studying I lay down in my bed to finish book six in the chronicles of Narnia, that being The Silver Chair. It was ok, but not at the top out of all the books I've read so far in the series. Maybe it suffered somewhat from following right after The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader, a book that I really liked and enjoyed.

Anyway, as I'm getting ready to dive into the last book of the series, The Last Battle, I'm starting to feel a wee bit tired about the Narnian world. It goes very much up and down for me. At its best places it is just a lovely, magical place which I would love to go to by The Aslan Express, at its worst it becomes somewhat dull and boring and to childishly black and white for me (yes, I am aware that they are after all books meant for children, still, just saying, that's how I as an adult feel about them). The biggest fault of the Narnia-series for me is the fact that

it never really gets nail-bitingly exciting, seeing as how it is children's books and therefore you pretty much know that it is all going to be OK in the end.

Still, it will be fun to see how the whole saga wraps up (my guess is that there will be a big battle haha).

Previous post

I just finished one of my favorite books; The Killer inside me and just picked up All the kings men.

I also bought The girl on the train, so I'll be starting that soon as well.

Happy reading everyone :)

Ok, so I put down All the kings men, to read Around the world in 80 days (such a good book, though I wish it wasn't so short)

Now that I've finished, back to the previous book :P

GOAL READS BEFORE MAY; 5

COMPLETED

The killer inside me

Around the world in 80 days

eta

I read Station Eleven and while it was engrossing, it left me with "meh" by the end. Yeah, themes and stuff, but the idea that

twenty years have passed and all the tech is laying around and no one can figure out how to make anything work or even read any books! is just not believable to me. WTF?

Back to the Vorkosigan Saga with Ethan of Athos! Rocks, so far.

I've read 25 books so far this year, and mostly they've been very very good. I am happy! :wideeyed:

Finished up the Name of the Wind and the ending wasn't good. The last 100 pages were simply not interesting, while the first 600 were just awesome. Kind of disappointed, but I'm going to wait.

Started up the Long Price Quartet and so far I like the writing and style in Dagger and the Coin more. Heard it picks up though, so I'll stick w/ it.

Previous post

Previous post

Ok, so I put down All the kings men, to read Around the world in 80 days (such a good book, though I wish it wasn't so short)

Now that I've finished, back to the previous book :P

GOAL READS BEFORE MAY; 5

COMPLETED

The killer inside me

Around the world in 80 days

eta

So I'm procrastinating with All the kings men :thumbsdown:

And have moved on to The girl on the train.......it's really good so far

I'll tell you guys how it is after I've finished!

Happy reading everyone

Finished Endymion (third book on Hyperion Cantos).

I liked the first third of the book. It was quite nice to see how that part of the universe has evolved since the second book (250 years time difference). I also thought that the religion part of the book was excellently writen. I also quite liked Raul.

The main problem was that after a hundred of pages or so Raul meets Aenea (seriously what the hell is that name), the book goes to shit. The same repetitive boring stuff, all over again. It became quite a challenge to finish it considering that pretty much nothing happened until the end. Not sure that I liked the ending, neither the downgrade of The Shrike.

Father Captain De Soya was easily my favorite character on the book. Aenea should have been a few years older IMO (something like 16 instead of 12).

In the end, I think that it was quite a weak book for most part of it.

Gone back now to Black Company. Started Shadow Games (book 4) and liking it so far. Will go back to Hyperion when I finish books of the south.

Yup… there's three. I mean 176 pages constitutes a book to me. Even if others call it a 'novella'.

That was pretty awful from first page.

I liked the Kingkiller Chronicles books (especially the ending). Name of the Wind in particula was flawless and one of my all time favorites.

Finished Alien Earth by Meghan Lindholm today. I was very impressed by this book. I felt it was a well-thought out plot with some superb writing. A very small cast of characters, but all of them well developed. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of some things that we see every day from the perspective of someone to whom they would be completely foreign. Glad I picked this up, it was well worth the read.

That was pretty awful from first page.

I liked the Kingkiller Chronicles books (especially the ending). Name of the Wind in particula was flawless and one of my all time favorites.

Flawless fan boy dude fulfillment? Ya, I'll go with that.

As a book though? Not so sure.

Feeling a bit underwhelmed by The Grace of Kings, so I picked up Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory. I've not read any of his stuff before, and the chap down the bookshop told me it was a good place to start. Jesus. I wish he had warned me about all the setting fire to animals. And the crazier, older brother that has just escaped from a psychiatric hospital hasn't even turned up yet. *shudders*

Feeling a bit underwhelmed by The Grace of Kings, so I picked up Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory. I've not read any of his stuff before, and the chap down the bookshop told me it was a good place to start. Jesus. I wish he had warned me about all the setting fire to animals. And the crazier, older brother that has just escaped from a psychiatric hospital hasn't even turned up yet. *shudders*

This sounds like an interesting book! Lol I think I'll pick it up! :D

Archived