why was Ladystoneheart cut out

Black Dragons

16 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Eh, don't engage the troll, he's already over in other, more sympathetic territory, whining about us. Because we're the enemy, you know, for pointing out that the story the D's are telling makes no sense. 

Oops, my bad.

Dillane's comments today about Stannis were interesting. Even though he did a great job he more or less admitted that he couldn't get to the bottom of the character.

Up until now I didn't believe that the showrunners had a carelessness towards certain characters. However, if Dillane couldn't find the motivation or passion to find what made Stannis' tick, then that's a symptom of a bigger problem: D&D just didn't do enough in the development of the character to provoke that passion.

They simply didn't care enough for the character, and I think that's your answer for why Lady Stoneheart was cut.

Or, maybe they just weren't arsed introducing her and then having to sweat over reasons to keep her off the screen. A book can get away with that with relative ease. A TV show, not so much. Then again, a slow build over season 4 and 5 of Freys and Lannisters being ambushed and murdered by a mystery group wouldn't have been hard to execute, and would have given them enough legs to keep Stoneheart off screen until late in the game. All they had to do was invest a little time and less time in the yawnfests that have been Mereen and Dorne at certain points.

So for those reasons, I just have to stick with my original point for why she's not in the show: they don't care for the character.

I think that if they wanted, LSH could appear in S6. The point is that after the trailer it's virtually impossible it will happen. (however, if she appeared nobody would expect it after the trailer, and it would be even more shocking, so I don't understand why she's been cut out).

3 hours ago, Ser Matt Dayne said:

Dillane's comments today about Stannis were interesting. Even though he did a great job he more or less admitted that he couldn't get to the bottom of the character.

Up until now I didn't believe that the showrunners had a carelessness towards certain characters. However, if Dillane couldn't find the motivation or passion to find what made Stannis' tick, then that's a symptom of a bigger problem: D&D just didn't do enough in the development of the character to provoke that passion.

They simply didn't care enough for the character, and I think that's your answer for why Lady Stoneheart was cut.

Or, maybe they just weren't arsed introducing her and then having to sweat over reasons to keep her off the screen. A book can get away with that with relative ease. A TV show, not so much. Then again, a slow build over season 4 and 5 of Freys and Lannisters being ambushed and murdered by a mystery group wouldn't have been hard to execute, and would have given them enough legs to keep Stoneheart off screen until late in the game. All they had to do was invest a little time and less time in the yawnfests that have been Mereen and Dorne at certain points.

So for those reasons, I just have to stick with my original point for why she's not in the show: they don't care for the character.

Nah, Dillane simply said he didn't get the character. He didn't read the books, he clearly is a little dismissive of the show and the genre anyway. 

Theres a possiblity that the producers don't like Stoneheart as a concept and cut her out, but the most likely explanation is that she's an other bit of window dressing in the story and can be cut out quite easily without it affecting the core of the plot. 

They might have also felt, like a lot of people did, that her coming back takes away a lot of the power and finality of the red wedding.

7 hours ago, TepidHands said:

Eh, don't engage the troll, he's already over in other, more sympathetic territory, whining about us. Because we're the enemy, you know, for pointing out that the story the D's are telling makes no sense. 

Maybe, just maybe, for your own good, ignore the show and focus on the books? Oh that's right, there are no new books, just the same old material. And so shitty in the last two volumes. I can't say I blame avid book fans for obsessing over the show like that, it's the only version of the story they will ever get now.

Misery and hypocrisy have taken over the show's section..

7 minutes ago, Khione said:

Cutting out Stoneheart was one of the best decisions the showrunners have ever had. What a failure this character is, one of many in AFFC and ADWD.

I'm glad that show Catelyn got a bit of redemption and is at peace now. Book Catelyn was a one-note character with no redeeming qualities, and now is a cartoonish zombie monster.

'It should have been you'. How can anyone objectively say show Catelyn ever said anything worse than that?

She did treat Jon with contempt in the tv show though, demanding that he leave the room where his brother's life hangs in the balance. So while she never utter the words it should have been you, it's pretty clear where Cat stands, and it's a horrid stance.

She conveys regret to Talisa over her treatment of him yet ironically, the words are as hollow as her promise to have Ned call him Stark if he escaped illness. The words mean nothing unless said to Jon himself, and there's no guarantee that her rage towards his existence wouldn't resurface had she seen again.

So to me, she didn't redeem herself towards Jon in the show. Maybe she would have, but we'll never know.

39 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Season 6 spoilers:

Hide contents

Paul Kaye is returning as Thoros in season 6 and apparently is involved in a hanging scene

http://watchersonthewall.com/another-season-3-cast-member-confirmed-to-return-for-game-of-thrones-season-6

I ain't getting myself fool with the LSH troll.

Spoiler

It's Blackfish leading the Brotherhood. It is known.

40 minutes ago, The Arthur Smith said:

I ain't getting myself fool with the LSH troll.

Hide contents

It's Blackfish leading the Brotherhood. It is known.

How many episodes was Blackfish in? 3 or 4? I'm not sure him leading the Brotherhood would hold the emotional weight that it should. Plus, if there's no LSH, where's Beric and why isn't he leading them?

I'm not saying LSH is nailed on, I'm just dubious of how the brotherhood storyline works in a compelling manner without her. It needs more than the Blackfish.

On 12 kwietnia 2016 at 0:12 AM, Ser Matt Dayne said:

She did treat Jon with contempt in the tv show though, demanding that he leave the room where his brother's life hangs in the balance. So while she never utter the words it should have been you, it's pretty clear where Cat stands, and it's a horrid stance.

She conveys regret to Talisa over her treatment of him yet ironically, the words are as hollow as her promise to have Ned call him Stark if he escaped illness. The words mean nothing unless said to Jon himself, and there's no guarantee that her rage towards his existence wouldn't resurface had she seen again.

So to me, she didn't redeem herself towards Jon in the show. Maybe she would have, but we'll never know.

And did Ned redeem himself to Cat for breaking her heart and making her believe for years that he'd fathered a bastard? I wouldn't judge her so harshly. And the 'if I loved Jon Snow' line was extremely cheesy.

As for Stoneheart, I don't remember if Martin had named her among his greater regrets over not included book character, but I think that the BwB storyline will have significantly less power if she's not in charge. I suppose they just make another character a hell-bent revenge fanatic, it's economy and it can be executed. It's not like Stoneheart was ever to sit on the IT, so she wasn't completely necessary and they probably cut her for this reason... even if it takes some flavor from the story. And endanger some other character to be derailed, I'm afraid.

11 minutes ago, Ser Matt Dayne said:

How many episodes was Blackfish in? 3 or 4? I'm not sure him leading the Brotherhood would hold the emotional weight that it should. Plus, if there's no LSH, where's Beric and why isn't he leading them?

I'm not saying LSH is nailed on, I'm just dubious of how the brotherhood storyline works in a compelling manner without her. It needs more than the Blackfish.

Which i'm confused with the Brotherhood's importance of the plot without LSH since they disappeared for 3 seasons.

13 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

And did Ned redeem himself to Cat for breaking her heart and making her believe for years that he'd fathered a bastard? I wouldn't judge her so harshly. And the 'if I loved Jon Snow' line was extremely cheesy.

As for Stoneheart, I don't remember if Martin had named her among his greater regrets over not included book character, but I think that the BwB storyline will have significantly less power if she's not in charge. I suppose they just make another character a hell-bent revenge fanatic, it's economy and it can be executed. It's not like Stoneheart was ever to sit on the IT, so she wasn't completely necessary and they probably cut her for this reason... even if it takes some flavor from the story. And endanger some other character to be derailed, I'm afraid.

I didn't find the if I loved Jon Snow line cheesey, I mean it's not as if she confessed her undying love for Jon. That's the tragedy of it, she never ever could love him, yet she admits that his only crime was being a motherless child. 

She knows her treatment of him was shocking and her hurt over Ned fathering a bastard wasn't excuse enough to hate the child. 

10 minutes ago, Lautrec said:

Here's a question. If D&D's only goal is to shock audiences, why did they cut LSH?

Maybe they can add a rape or two in the freed screen-time.

10 minutes ago, Ser Matt Dayne said:

I didn't find the if I loved Jon Snow line cheesey, I mean it's not as if she confessed her undying love for Jon. That's the tragedy of it, she never ever could love him, yet she admits that his only crime was being a motherless child.

She knows her treatment of him was shocking and her hurt over Ned fathering a bastard wasn't excuse enough to hate the child.

Wasn't to hate, but she was really under no obligation to love him or be a mother to him, so I find her 'regrets' cringe-worthy, as if D&D were trying to polish her to the (perceived) modern ideals.

Archived