NFL Draft: Every pick is a Pro Bowler!

Trebla

ETA: They were broadcasting from the Steelers facilities, and the entire night they were certain the team had no interest in offense in the 2nd round. To the point that Todd Haley wasn't even in the war room during the round.

It's kind of funny that teams can tip their picks by who is in the room or on the phone. On Twitter, the Dallas beat writers were able to guess whether each pick would be offense or defense by which coordinator was talking on the phone. In the first two pick, D Coordinator Rod Marinelli was on the phone, presumably welcoming the player to the team even before the pick was announced. With the 3rd round pick, O Coordinator Scott Linehan got the phone.

It's kind of funny that teams can tip their picks by who is in the room or on the phone. On Twitter, the Dallas beat writers were able to guess whether each pick would be offense or defense by which coordinator was talking on the phone. In the first two pick, D Coordinator Rod Marinelli was on the phone, presumably welcoming the player to the team even before the pick was announced. With the 3rd round pick, O Coordinator Scott Linehan got the phone.

It is funny. Reports for the Steelers were Haley, or my preferred nickname Bubbles, was walking around barefoot making food. Probably a good indication he wasn't needed.

I am of two minds on what the Niners draft means.

On the one had, every pick being a project in spite of immediate needs should signal 'rebuild', but otoh Baalke regularly took on projects as a means of addressing a lack of open spots in the past, so maybe he's just that kind of thinker.

I think that a rebuild is the way to go, but I also knows that would involve serious issues with both Smiths, Boldin, Davis, the o-Line, etc.

Edit: an idea I haven't seen floated that seems possible to me is that they see Tartt as a guy you can build up as an ILB.

I may be (read: definitely) overreacting, but I feel like the Jets potentially have a really solid team, with the chance to add quite a bit more depth than expected today after that Texans trade. EXCEPT, they're still stuck Geno Smith/Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. If they had a QB even in the top 15-20 range I think they're a 10/11 win team, but with Smith starting, I think 7 wins is a stretch. Maybe it will be different this year, he's certainly got a much better receiving corps than before (Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Jermey Kerley, and Devin Smith as the top four), but I don't have much faith.

I may be (read: definitely) overreacting, but I feel like the Jets potentially have a really solid team, with the chance to add quite a bit more depth than expected today after that Texans trade. EXCEPT, they're still stuck Geno Smith/Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. If they had a QB even in the top 15-20 range I think they're a 10/11 win team, but with Smith starting, I think 7 wins is a stretch. Maybe it will be different this year, he's certainly got a much better receiving corps than before (Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Jermey Kerley, and Devin Smith as the top four), but I don't have much faith.

I really like Smith; poor man's ODB Jr, IMO.

I think the Jets can make a push for 10 wins, they just need to do one very important thing. Start Ryan Fitzpatrick. I know he's not sexy (to you guys), I know he's inaccurate and he throws shitty INT's and he is literally the definition of mediocre.

But maybe that's just what the Jets need. Fitzy can physically make all of the throws, he can even do it to win games on very rare occasion. This Jets defense should be the best he's ever played with, and the WR's are really solid. The guy seems to fit here. If they go with Geno, they're fucked.

So far this Pats draft is all beef (one guard and a bunch of defensive linemen) plus a safety who seemed like a reach. Guess BB didn't like any of the corners available, or is satisfied with the nonentity journeymen and second-year guys he has playing corner now...

I"m digging the Bengals draft even if it's not exactly what I'd expect. Beef up the OL, draft a Burfict clone at LB and grab a versatile, talented safety/CB in Josh Shaw. All we need is to get a DT/WR and this will be solid. It's not sexy but it works.

I wonder (kind of hope actually) if Belichick is saving one of his lower picks for that Oregon CB, Ife something-hyphenated. He was highly rated, but injured. Just hard to believe he'd go the whole draft without addressing corner.

I think maybe the Niners have decided that CL tears are like a right of passage.

Edit: also, overlooking even mentioning the Niners current actual draft pick to cut to the Cowboys war room and a discussion about how comfy they look with whoever they might pick soon was a bit much to take the first time. By the second it was getting annoying. Fuck you NFL.

I wonder (kind of hope actually) if Belichick is saving one of his lower picks for that Oregon CB, Ife something-hyphenated. He was highly rated, but injured. Just hard to believe he'd go the whole draft without addressing corner.

Ifo Ekpre-Olumu.

He came back for his senior year when he didn't need to, and he took out an insurance policy that guaranteed him $3 million if he slipped past the 3rd round which has happened, but he can still get paid by any time that signs him.

I guess Brett Hundley really could have improved his stock by staying another year; now he's going in a late round to back up Rodgers at best?

Sean Mannion from Oregon State was always an interesting Bledoe-type prospect. He had utter shit around him at Oregon State other than Cooks and Wheaton, so I wondered if someone would take him high on his upside. That appears to have happened with him going 3rd round and many picks ahead of Hundley.

Archived