NFL Draft: Every pick is a Pro Bowler!

Trebla

So, the Cowboys picked up undrafted WR out of Baylor Antoine Goodly. I can not believe he did not get drafted. I was wondering who was going to fill the shoes of Dwayne Harris. I actually think that this is an upgrade.

Tom's dad is calling it "FRAMEGATE" http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/05/06/tom-brady-sr-senior-defends-son-framegate-deflategate-colts/70900374/

"I don't have any doubt about my son's integrity — not one bit," Tom Brady Sr. told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday following the investigation's publication.

"In this country, you're innocent until proven guilty. It just seems Tommy is now guilty until proven innocent.

"This thing is so convoluted. ... They say that possibly — possibly — he was aware of this. The reality is if you can't prove he did it, then he's innocent, and lay off him. That's the bottom line."

"The league had to cover themselves," said Brady Sr. "The reality is they had no conclusive evidence.

"This was Framegate right from the beginning."

Innocent until proven guilty is the law of the court, not of public opinion.

And if you are obfuscating (and Tom is), you can expect the court of public opinion to come down hard.

That having been said, it appears that it is clear that what happened is what appeared to have happened - the Pats instructed their clubhouse guys to aggressively push the boundaries of the rules, the refs either didn't think this was that out of the ordinary or just plain screwed up and the balls went out way below the limit.

The only true fly in the ointment would have been if the league could conclude the equipment guys altered the balls post-inspection and that smoking gun did not appear.

As others have said, the league could easily get company phones without the permission of the equipment room guys and the Patriots were NEVER going to block that - would be akin to an admission that both funny business happened AND that they were behind it.

I don't think Jastremski and McNally are getting glossy Xmas cards this year from Giselle and spouse.

That having been said, it appears that it is clear that what happened is what appeared to have happened - the Pats instructed their clubhouse guys to aggressively push the boundaries of the rules, the refs either didn't think this was that out of the ordinary or just plain screwed up and the balls went out way below the limit.

The report stopped short of saying the Pats organization knew anything or ordered anything. The report showed that the two equipment guys knew that Brady liked the footballs under-inflated and that's how that all worked from there. There is nothing there that says that the Pats pushed anything on these guys. But it seems that Brady was "generally aware."

The report stopped short of saying the Pats organization knew anything or ordered anything. The report showed that the two equipment guys knew that Brady liked the footballs under-inflated and that's how that all worked from there. There is nothing there that says that the Pats pushed anything on these guys. But it seems that Brady was "generally aware."

He'd have to be but yea, there is nothing truly conclusive here. Without any text from Brady saying anything about the balls or one of those guys saying categorically that Brady/Org said anything, you just can't prove it. And from what I saw, McNally was never allowed to have a follow up interview after the initial one.

So... I am disappointed with the Wells report because it doesn't conclusively say that all Patriots are lying liars who lie and that they all cheated.

However, there is some good news in the fact that it decisively calls Tom Brady a cheating cheater who cheats and I am very sure that appropriate punishment will be handed down. I am thinking that the NFL will impose a mandatory divorce with Giselle and an immediate trade to the Cleveland Browns where he will be forced to play half of all plays as an offensive lineman.

I am thinking that the NFL will impose a mandatory divorce with Giselle and an immediate trade to the Cleveland Browns where he will be forced to play half of all plays as an offensive lineman.

Tough but fair.

"Generally aware?" Seems to be a bit more than that...

From the report: Additional evidence of Brady's awareness includes a material increase in the frequency of telephone and text communications between Brady and Jastremski shortly after suspicions of ball tampering became public on January 19. After not communicating by telephone or text message for more than six months (based on data retrieved from Jastremski's cell phone), Brady and Jastremski spoke by telephone at least twice on January 19 (calls lasting a total of 25 minutes and 2 seconds), twice on January 20 (calls lasting a total of 9 minutes and 55 seconds) and twice on January 21 (calls lasting a total of 20 minutes and 52 seconds) before Jastremski surrendered his cell phone to the Patriots later that day for forensic imaging. These calls included conversations relatively early during the mornings of January 19 (7:26 a.m. for 13 minutes and 4 seconds), January 20 (8:22 a.m. for 6 minutes and 21 seconds) and January 21 (7:38 a.m. for 13 minutes and 47 seconds). Brady also took the unprecedented step of inviting Jastremski to the QB room (essentially Brady's office) in Gillette Stadium on January 19 for the first and only time that Jastremski can recall during his twenty-year career with the Patriots, and Brady sent Jastremski text messages seemingly designed to calm Jastremski ("You good Jonny boy?"; "You doing good?"). For his part, Jastremski sent Brady text messages confirming that he was okay ("Still nervous; so far so good though") and cautioning Brady about questioning ("FYI...Dave will be picking your brain later about it. He's not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it's unrealistic you did it yourself...").

and also...

http://deadspin.com/the-hilarious-brady-bashing-texts-sent-by-the-pats-bal-1702598756

The employees probably turned over he phones and texts.

The report referenced that Brady refused to do so EVEN WHEN he was told that his attorneys could have controlled what info was taken and delivered (ie: Brady would not have had to have turned over his phone etc).

Had the employees NOT done so, it would have looked far worse. Right now, its all contained; its all on Brady. Good enough for the Pats.

I'd quit my fucking job before I handed over my phone. It's a matter of principle.

Definitely the most annoying thing is Brady and Kraft being such sanctimonious douches about the whole ordeal.

Yeah, the Brady thing is really interesting to me. He straight up called the entire thing bullshit, and now it's pretty obvious that he was at least peripherally involved. Could he be suspended? Is there even a protocol for suspending a Tom Brady?

I loved the ball boys bashing on Brady, by the way. Great link, Manhole.

Yeah, the Brady thing is really interesting to me. He straight up called the entire thing bullshit, and now it's pretty obvious that he was at least peripherally involved

On top of that he ridiculed both the Colts and the Ravens for bringing it up in the first place. This is a really bad look for Tommy Boy, methinks, regardless of whether or not the league takes any action.

You don't hand over a company phone, you go to jail.

Also, the physical phone isn't as important as the provider's records, and those are completely controlled by whoever pays the bill - which was most likely the Patriots.

Hmm.... PSI:New England has brought me back to the board. My take:

1. NE would have won the AFC championship game regardless of the status of the ball (and the balls were inflated properly after halftime when NE brought down the hammer on my Colts). But this gives ammo to the Ravens to whine and complain who lost a very close game in the divisional round.

2. Brady knew and probably made it clear to those two gentlemen that he wanted balls with low pressure. I don't think he wanted them lower than the regulation; but probably as close to 12.5 PSI as possible. The cold did the rest. However the report clearly says

We have concluded that it is more probable than not that Jim McNally (the Officials Locker Room attendant for the Patriots) and John Jastremski (an equipment assistant for the Patriots) participated in a deliberate effort to release air from Patriots game balls after the balls were examined by the referee

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/06/deflategate-wells-report-patriots-deflated-footballs-tom-brady

According to the SI article

"When Anderson and other members of the officiating crew were preparing to leave the Officials Locker Room to head to the field for the start of the game, the game balls could not be located. It was the first time in Anderson's 19 years as an NFL official that he could not locate the game balls at the start of a game. Unknown to Anderson, and without Anderson's permission or the permission of any other member of the officiating crew, McNally had taken the balls from the Officials Locker Room towards the playing field. According to Anderson and other members of the officiating crew for the AFC Championship Game, the removal of the game balls from the Officials Locker Room by McNally without the permission of the referee or another game official was a breach of standard operating pre-game procedure. According to Anderson, other members of the officiating crew for the AFC Championship Game and other game officials with recent experience at Gillette Stadium, McNally had not previously removed game balls from the Officials Locker Room and taken them to the field without either receiving permission from the game officials or being accompanied by one or more officials."

Not a good look for NE.

As I mentioned at the time IF the balls were deliberately under inflated no way the instruments guys would have done that without Brady's knowledge and "encouragement". Brady like many elite QBs is very very particular about all aspects of the game including balls, equipment etc.

NE won the SB because they were a good team and Petey did not had the common sense to pound the ball form a yard out. But this is going to give a lot of ammo to the casual HATERS.

On top of that he ridiculed both the Colts and the Ravens for bringing it up in the first place. This is a really bad look for Tommy Boy, methinks, regardless of whether or not the league takes any action.

Yeah, that's kinda been grinding on me today. On one hand, it's like... "this whole thing is bullshit" but on the other hand, he actually was breaking the rules and acted like the Colts/Ravens were so pathetic that they were making it up.

You don't hand over a company phone, you go to jail.

Also, the physical phone isn't as important as the provider's records, and those are completely controlled by whoever pays the bill - which was most likely the Patriots.

Meh, if you're dumb enough to use a company phone for shit that's illegal/against the rules, you deserve to be punished.

So I've been marinating on this all day, and I'm a bit conflicted.

As stated above, I don't really give a fuck about inflation of footballs. The Colts were beaten soundly, and as players have said "it wouldn't have mattered if we were playing with a frizbee".

I was actually totally on the Pats' bandwagon after the superbowl. Belichick and Brady's legacies were cemented, they'd beaten the evil Seahawks, and the decade-and-a-half feud with Manning was over (Brady won). I pretty much wrote them off my hate list. I was still gonna watch the AFC East, and I was still gonna root against the Patriots, but it felt... nicer. I wanted to see them lose because I wanted to see the Bills win the division, or maybe even the Jets, not because I just wanted the Patriots to lose for the sake of losing.

Now, though... I kinda want Brady to get suspended. The guy fucking cheated. On the field. His punishment should be the same as Robert Mathis' was. Suspension.

Mathis took a fertility drug, then said he didn't know it was banned. And the benefits he could have gotten from that drug were negligible. But... he took the drug. And as he said himself, he broke the rules (unwittingly or not) and he had to serve his suspension.

Brady got other people to fuck with the footballs themselves during games. The benefits he could have gotten from this may have been negligible in some peoples' eyes. But... he still had his people do it. He still broke the rules, and he still needs to be punished.

Yeah, he should be suspended. The issue wasn't how much of an advantage was gained, it's the willfull skirting of the rules. They are in place for a reason. I'm thinking this could be (should be) relatively harsh, due to the fact that he publicly lied about it. Then again, seeing as how this is the NFL we're talking about, who knows if any substantial punishment will be dealt out.

I'm just impressed that this isn't being entirely blamed on the least important persons involved. Generally those are the guys who take the fall, the ball boys or equipment guys in this instance. And while they definitely seem to be taking much of the rap, the fact that it's only 90% is unexpected.

I guess it's harder to do that after you tried to pull off the 'victims of league/public/media bias' deal in the first place.

This ESPN article is pretty damning

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/168454/tom-brady-whined-about-ball-pressure-during-pats-jets-game-per-wells-report

"According to Jastremski, while complaining about the balls on the sidelines during the game, Brady made a comment about McNally and referred to the testing of the game balls by the game officials prior to the game. Jastremski explained that Brady 'knows that Jim is the referee's locker-room attendant,' and recalls that Brady said something like, 'isn't he in there to make sure the balls are staying where they should be?'

He knew and just laughed at the Colts! Fuck him....

Archived