The Rad King: An Aerys II Appreciation Thread

Don't forget that Aerys II "the Wise" learned from his predecessors and wanted to enact laws that should never have been abolished, i.e. The First Night.

He fought valiantly during the War of the Ninepenny Kings and was knighted at only 16.

He mocked Tywin Lannister openly because he was above him and Tywin needed to learn his place.

He brought lovely ladies to the court for the enjoyment of his friends as he was always true to his beloved wife.

He hatched a plan to build a second wall that clearly would have stopped the Others invasion years before it started. If not for Tywins insolence this would have been done.

Try as I might, I just cannot appreciate anything about Aerys (besides his plan to build a second wall). Having mental health problems only garners so much sympathy until it's clear this person should just not be alive. From what I remember of the world book, his reign was a lot like Robert's. Didn't do anything useful, had other people rule for him, was a lusty jackass, and abused his wife.

I'm sorry. But this is unfair with Aerys.

He had good intentions, he tried to overcome his handicaps. Ok, he failed. But that's not a morality flaw.

He was mad? No! Stupid? Probably! But that doesn't make him the worst king ever.

He was paranoid for good reasons. The crown prince would overthrow him. The LP were making alliances never seen before. The North, who usually doesn't care for Southern affairs are intermarrying and probably plotting.

What do you do? Kill everybody that you can't trust.

Of course, when you can't trust nobody your regime will fail anytime, but that doesn't mean you are mad. Just a bad sh*tt* king.

When comes to the "Fire Judgments" they occured on Earth.

It was the infamous trial by ordeal.

Don't forget that Aerys II "the Wise" learned from his predecessors and wanted to enact laws that should never have been abolished, i.e. The First Night.

He fought valiantly during the War of the Ninepenny Kings and was knighted at only 16.

He mocked Tywin Lannister openly because he was above him and Tywin needed to learn his place.

He brought lovely ladies to the court for the enjoyment of his friends as he was always true to his beloved wife.

He hatched a plan to build a second wall that clearly would have stopped the Others invasion years before it started. If not for Tywins insolence this would have been done.

With regards to the second wall, I think the plan was to dismantle the old Wall after the new one was built, in order to extend the lands of the Seven Kingdoms.

He was a horrible person all around but I appreciate him so much for not condemning Rhaegar to a marriage to that hellbeast Cersei the best thing he ever did IMO was not have the Lannisters marry into his family.

And his Kingsguard excluding Jaime were badass!!!!

Not marrying into the Lannisters ended up getting his family killed and his house overthrown. If Rhaegar wed Cersei, the Targaryens might well still be on the throne.

Try as I might, I just cannot appreciate anything about Aerys (besides his plan to build a second wall). Having mental health problems only garners so much sympathy until it's clear this person should just not be alive. From what I remember of the world book, his reign was a lot like Robert's. Didn't do anything useful, had other people rule for him, was a lusty jackass, and abused his wife.

Really the second wall? The north was already vast and empty, they don't need more land. I thought the idea of the underground canal systen he wanted to build in Dorne from the mountains to the desert was a good idea. It's similar to the Turpan water system, a large series of wells connected by an undgerground canal system. A horizontal series of wells dug vertically, connected by an underground canal system. It's designed to collect watershed surface run off from the base of mountains, the canals channel water to the surface using the gravity of the downward slope to create a current off the mountains. The underground canals limit evaporation loss, and this leads to full wells that are replenished by the mountain runoff. The wells and current are then used for irrigation. The Turpan irrigation system. First built in the Han dynasty.

It's actually a good idea, and while it would require a lot of work, it was no less a good idea. Dorne should of probably attempted this, desert sand can be very fertile once irrigated.

You get nice little spots like this and can create a series of oasis, to improve travel, trade and crops. It was built for the silk road.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/daodao/photo-s/01/e6/2f/f1/caption.jpg

http://www.diffchina.com/blog/?tag=turfan

Though King Cray Cray never followed up, oh well. Then again Dorne never seemed to have followed up either. But that was like a viable legit intelligent idea for the benigit of Dorne. The second wall? Well what did it get you, chances the reason the wall keeps the Others out is magic related, and who is going to man that wall, they can't even man the one they have. Plus it would of created a war with the Wildlings. Really surprised that Dorne did not undertake the canal project. Martin probably thought of it after the fact, or recently.

Really the second wall?

Honestly, I didn't think about it logistically. I just thought the idea was kind of an adorable thought from what was then a naive young king. An older, more ambitious version of "ban the beats," if you will.

I don't think his madness is ever taken out of context. Targaryen madness (especially Aery's madness) is canon.

That doesn't mean there aren't things that readers won't like or appreciate about him. But it's ridiculous to think his tales of madness are just political propaganda. He was a mad and cruel king no matter how you look at it. To say otherwise is kind of neglecting to pick up what GRRM is putting down.

Imho there are simmilaritys between arys II and the roman emperor Calligula. Like Calligula Arys II was mainly hated for his treatment of the nobilety. Modern historians nowadays have a different light on him and consider his villanification a bit overdone, because while calligula was certainly cruel at times to the nobilety the realm still prosperred.

Archived