Small Questions v. 10100

But after Storm's End, his next destination was The Tower of Joy right? The tower is Dorne.

Right, I would assume Robert was in King's Landing trying to solidify his rule, plus he was still somewhat injured from the trident. Robert being who he was would probably have ridden to Lyanna's rescue anyway had he known where she was so I think it's safe to assume that nobody knew where Lyanna was until Ned lifted the siege at Storms End.

Thanks Rhaenys i think i can probably figure it from the info you gave.

One more thing I thought of. Considering there have been nine winters in the life of Tyrion Lannister (b.273), the first being the three year winter he was born in the middle off (272-274), and considering the fact that the last winter prior to he series ended late 288 or early 289 AC, it would appear that the winters in between were all rather short, according to Martin's writing. At most, we'd have some 14/15 years for 9 springs, and 8 winters, falls and summers.

So personally, I'd assume that the winter prior to the Rebellion did not 'return' all that long.

[...] even after they heard of Mance unifying the clans they didn't send anyone undercover to get some more info. Took a for-sure dead Halfhand with no other options to put such a plan into motion.

Benjen Stark went before.

Targaryens carry a fire-immunity trait right? Not all of them have it but some will? Like the Mad King.

Would a son of a bastard also carry the bastard last name? Like if Jon Snow had a son with Ros, the son would have a last name of Snow? What if Ros gave birth in Dorne, would the son have a last name of Sands instead?

Targaryens carry a fire-immunity trait right? Not all of them have it but some will? Like the Mad King.

Would a son of a bastard also carry the bastard last name? Like if Jon Snow had a son with Ros, the son would have a last name of Snow? What if Ros gave birth in Dorne, would the son have a last name of Sands instead?

Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Afaik the bastard name is not carried on. So Ros's (who is that anyway :)) kids would go without a family name if a bastard fathered them.

And to answer the second question, if Jon Snow married, as by your example, Ros (had Ros existed in the books), their child would be named Snow as well. As Jon is not a noble, any bastard he might have most likely won't receive a bastards name.

Hmm so if Jon Snow didn't take on the black and married some hooker, all their sons and daughters would have the last name Snow and if they all grow and become significant people they could very well create a House Snow?

The bastard last names, is it based on where they were born or from where their mother/father were from? Because a northerner could give birth in Dorne.

The bastard last names, is it based on where they were born or from where their mother/father were from? Because a northerner could give birth in Dorne.

The first rule of thumb would be they get the names of where they were raised as an infant (Jon Snow, Mia Stone), the second where their most noble parent made their home (sand snakes). So, there's not one rule for it. It is as usual with names: whatever you are being called.

Hmm so if Jon Snow didn't take on the black and married some hooker, all their sons and daughters would have the last name Snow and if they all grow and become significant people they could very well create a House Snow?

There sons and daughters would not be bastards. They would be free to take another name, as did Daemon Blackfyre, or Rennifer Longwater's grandfather.

There sons and daughters would not be bastards. They would be free to take another name, as did Daemon Blackfyre, or Rennifer Longwater's grandfather.

I was thinking about Longwaters situation, a trueborn of a bastard.

Daemon Blackfyre started House Blackfyre when he got the sword. The Magnar started House Thenn when he married Alys Karstark.

What are the requirements to start a House?

Also what happened to Craster's body? Was it buried properly or just left to rot (or rather, Freeze) outside?

No POV was left at Craster's to tell us. Maybe his wives had time and leisure to burn his remains? Maybe his sons have been collecting him before they even could? So far he has not been seen again as a wight either.

Daemon Blackfyre started House Blackfyre when he got the sword. The Magnar started House Thenn when he married Alys Karstark.

There are no requirements. Dunk and Egg gave "lords' names" to Wat, Wat and Wat just to tell them apart.

There are no requirements. Dunk and Egg gave "lords' names" to Wat, Wat and Wat just to tell them apart.

Giving them additional names to keep them apart doesn't make them lords ;) Nor does it create a House..

Basically, yes, if Jon Snow married a baseborn girl without a last name of her own, their children would receive the name Snow, as they would be their father's trueborn children. Those children might choose to change the name, like the son of Jon Waters did, creating House Longwaters.

In the scenario where two bastards marry, the offspring would most likely receive the name of the father. What happens when a female bastard marries a commoner without a last name of his own, I don't know..

I'd say the approval of your overlord or King. Stannis gave his approval for House Thenn, Aegon IV for House Blackfyre.

Why would Stannis approve of a wildling house, the Thenns?

it seems to be a sensible step towards getting them to kneel to southern kings. get them used to obeying familiar masters and eventually to their proper feudal overlords AKA stannis. I also feel his current position requires anyone who can deliver him men on mass quickly and this does this jolly quickly.

This solution is the quickest way to getting a feudal solution to the wildling problem maintaining as close to the status quo as is possible

Why would Stannis approve of a wildling house, the Thenns?

I am not certain we are seeing the origination of House Thenn rather than the continuation of House Karstark. The claim to Karstark is through Alys, should her brother not return from captivity.

Archived