Small Questions v. 10100

What's the total sum number of sellswords, mercenaries, slaves that can be bought, etc. throughout Essos?

I don't think anyone will be able to answer this one. It requires knowledge of tons of different variables - population of Essosi cities and towns, slave-to-free ratio for each of them, frequency of wars, number of sellsword companies, average size of them etc. that we simply don't have. Not to mention that we know next to nothing about huge part of Essos (eastern side of the continent features many cities that were only mentioned a few times in World book). The best I can give you is bits of information from various chapters in the books:

- in Volantis, it's said that there are 5 slaves to 1 free man

- historically speaking, the ratio above is very rare and dangerous, so we can assume that it's much lower in most of other slave-owing cities

- some places don't have slaves at all: Braavos and maybe Lorath, for example

- Astapor apparently has so many of its slaves killed in various ways to the point of being unrealistic. For example, every fully trained Unsullied leaves at least 3 dead slaves behind (only 1/3 survives training, and each one who does has to kill a baby)

- there are numerous sellsword companies through Essos. How numerous exactly, we don't know

- Dany's advisors think that Yunkai can easily pay for 20 companies if need arises

- size of one company seems to vary greatly: Second Sons have 500 men, Windblown 2000, Company of the Cat 3000 and Golden Company around 10000

Did Viserys get his body buried in a funeral or put into a pyre? Or did the Dothraki just leave his body rotting in their holy city?

While it is tradition to cremate deceased Targaryens, it is not mentioned what happened to Viserys' body.

Viserys just tried to kill Khal's wife and unborn son in front of thousands of Dortharki and died a painful death for it. While it's not mentioned, I think it's safe to say that Dothraki didn't bother with any kind of burial.

Viserys just tried to kill Khal's wife and unborn son in front of thousands of Dortharki and died a painful death for it. While it's not mentioned, I think it's safe to say that Dothraki didn't bother with any kind of burial.

Not even for the wife he loves so dearly? If she asked it of him, that is.

Point is, we don't know either way, and can only speculate about it.

Well, if they keep the body in the Dothraki holy city, his body rotting will eventually lead to blood touching the ground.

Another quick question: Why did Oberyn call Elaria his paramour? It's not like Elaria is his mistress and Oberyn is actually married to someone else right? She's basically just his girlfriend. He just wants to use a fancy word? Because a paramour is usually a negative illicit relation.

Because a paramour is usually a negative illicit relation.

Is it?

Why did Oberyn call Elaria his paramour? It's not like Elaria is his mistress and Oberyn is actually married to someone else right? She's basically just his girlfriend. He just wants to use a fancy word?

Maybe it was meant to redeem the term to the readers? ;)

Speaking of Vaes Dothrak we are told its forbidden to shed blood. Yet in Chapter 36 in GOT Dany hits Viserys with a medallion belt and it ends up cutting his face. So she shed blood in Vaes Dothrak, I wonder if there are any repercussions to this action? Does anyone have any theories?

Speaking of Vaes Dothrak we are told its forbidden to shed blood. Yet in Chapter 36 in GOT Dany hits Viserys with a medallion belt and it ends up cutting his face. So she shed blood in Vaes Dothrak, I wonder if there are any repercussions to this action? Does anyone have any theories?

Noone saw this - there was noone to report her "crime". No shedding blood in Vaes Dothrak is purely a man-made curse; it's not like some deity will strike the offender with divine bolt of lightning. Since nobody saw Dany shedding Vis's blood, there were no repercussions for her.

True :). I just added the bspeculation that made most sense to me ;)

Noone saw this - there was noone to report her "crime". No shedding blood in Vaes Dothrak is purely a man-made curse; it's not like some deity will strike the offender with divine bolt of lightning. Since nobody saw Dany shedding Vis's blood, there were no repercussions for her.

Are we sure? I know people are killed there by choking and the like but no blood. It's serious enough that no one breaks it. We know the importance of blood and magic.

Why did Oberyn call Elaria his paramour? It's not like Elaria is his mistress and Oberyn is actually married to someone else right? She's basically just his girlfriend. He just wants to use a fancy word? Because a paramour is usually a negative illicit relation.

Westeros is a medieval world. "Girlfriend" is a modern word (its first use was in the late 19th century and it only became popular in the 20th century), so it would be very awkward to use it in ASOIAF. "Paramour" is a medieval word which archaically meant lover, it was only later that it got the specific meaning of illicit lover. So it's actually a very good word to describe Ellaria, not fancy at all in a medieval context.

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/paramour

Are we sure? I know people are killed there by choking and the like but no blood. It's serious enough that no one breaks it. We know the importance of blood and magic.

Dorthaki also believe that sea water is poisonous, yet we know it's false. Just because it's popular perception (better said - popular superstition) doesn't make it true ;)

Dorthaki also believe that sea water is poisonous, yet we know it's false. Just because it's popular perception (better said - popular superstition) doesn't make it true ;)

Fair enough, I was really wondering if anyone had a theory on it but I guess not.

Fair enough, I was really wondering if anyone had a theory on it but I guess not.

Not necessarily. I don't know of any, but maybe someone else does. If you're interested, you can always open a thread in "General" subforum and see what people think about it.

Regarding the fate of Viserys's body, someone probably would have wanted to reclaim that gold right? Cremation probably would have been the way to go I'm thinking.

Who else aside from Greatjon Umber does Jaime Lannister admit could win against him in a fight? Only those he admitted to, not ones we assume like Barristan Selmy.

Jaime admitted to himself the following:

[brienne of Tarth] is stronger than I am.

The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain's strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all. But this was a woman. A huge cow of a woman, to be sure, but even so . . . by rights, she should be the one wearing down.

Jaime admitted to himself the following:

[brienne of Tarth] is stronger than I am.

The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain's strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all. But this was a woman. A huge cow of a woman, to be sure, but even so . . . by rights, she should be the one wearing down.

Wait a minute, so with speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all? Huh?

Archived