Small Questions v. 10100

Jaime admitted to himself the following:

[brienne of Tarth] is stronger than I am.

The realization chilled him. Robert had been stronger than him, to be sure. The White Bull Gerold Hightower as well, in his heyday, and Ser Arthur Dayne. Amongst the living, Greatjon Umber was stronger, Strongboar of Crakehall most likely, both Cleganes for a certainty. The Mountain's strength was like nothing human. It did not matter. With speed and skill, Jaime could beat them all. But this was a woman. A huge cow of a woman, to be sure, but even so . . . by rights, she should be the one wearing down.

Okay so to be clear, Jaime Lannister admits that the following were better/more skilled fighters than him?

Brienne

Robert Baratheon (during rebellion)

Arthur Dayne

Gerold Hightower

Greatjon Umber

Strongboar

The Mountain and The Hound

However, Jaime never saw Oberyn fight, so by extension, Oberyn is a better fighter than Jaime since Oberyn beat The Mountain? Oberyn lost due to cockiness?

Okay so to be clear, Jaime Lannister admits that the following were better/more skilled fighters than him?

Brienne

Robert Baratheon (during rebellion)

Arthur Dayne

Gerold Hightower

Greatjon Umber

Strongboar

The Mountain and The Hound

However, Jaime never saw Oberyn fight, so by extension, Oberyn is a better fighter than Jaime since Oberyn beat The Mountain? Oberyn lost due to cockiness?

No, Jaime says these men were all stronger than him. Jaime believes he himself had better speed and skill, and is convinced that would have been enough to beat all of them.

Whether or not that is true, remains speculative..

That Oberyn might have been able to defeat Gregor, doesn't necessarily mean that he would have been able to defeat Jaime. Nor does it have to mean the opposite.

Which part of the wall does Jon climb in the 3rd book? i.e between which of the two castles?

A quick Google suggested somewhere between Greyguard and Stonedoor...?

Correct ;)

“Is Stonedoor manned at present?” asked Jarl. “Greyguard?”

So we’re between those two, are we? Jon kept his face carefully blank.

[...]

They had descended the south face of the Wall at Greyguard, abandoned for two hundred years.

[...]

I had a direwolf, Ghost. I left him when I climbed the Wall near Greyguard, and have not seen him since.

Which part of the wall does Jon climb in the 3rd book? i.e between which of the two castles?

A quick Google suggested somewhere between Greyguard and Stonedoor...?

Found this:

They had descended the south face of the Wall at Greyguard, abandoned for two hundred years.

ASoS 41 Jon V

I'm working on something and i'm having trouble locating this bit of info.

Q.When winter returned to Westeros in 281,how long did it last?I'm thinking around 283 is that right?

I'm working on something and i'm having trouble locating this bit of info.

Q.When winter returned to Westeros in 281,how long did it last?I'm thinking around 283 is that right?

We have no info on that, at all. All we know is that it had lasted for 2 years prior to the False Spring, and that by 284 AC, it was summer. When exactly winter ended, and summer began, and how long exactly the spring in between lasted, we can't say with any amount of certainty.

The Others go lightly on the snow and leave no prints to mark their passage. Their movements can be lighting quick.

So, where is this from? I was arguing with someone about wights and I said that they were too fast, he responded that in the books the Others were fast. I argued that they weren't, but he gave me this quote from ASOIF wiki. So I'm interested on what is this statement based.

So, where is this from? I was arguing with someone about wights and I said that they were too fast, he responded that in the books the Others were fast. I argued that they weren't, but he gave me this quote from ASOIF wiki. So I'm interested on what is this statement based.

Just before Sam kills the Other in Storm:

The Other’s sword gleamed with a faint blue glow. it moved toward Grenn, lightning quick, slashing.

Is there any mention of a Night's Watch brother infiltrating or attempting to infiltrate the Wildlings? Aside from Jon Snow of course.

I don't think so, the wildlings are almost never unified so it never made sense to try and infiltrate the plethora of clans and villages.

We have no info on that, at all. All we know is that it had lasted for 2 years prior to the False Spring, and that by 284 AC, it was summer. When exactly winter ended, and summer began, and how long exactly the spring in between lasted, we can't say with any amount of certainty.

Thanks Rhaenys i think i can probably figure it from the info you gave.

I don't think so, the wildlings are almost never unified so it never made sense to try and infiltrate the plethora of clans and villages.

Fair enough. Just find it kinda odd that even after they heard of Mance unifying the clans they didn't send anyone undercover to get some more info. Took a for-sure dead Halfhand with no other options to put such a plan into motion.

Why didn't Robert Baratheon personally go with Ned stark to save Lyanna at the Tower of Joy? The Mad King was already dead. Was Robert just that worn out from the Trident battle? Did they even know that it was guarded by 3 men? How the heck were they able to just ride towards Dorne territory without resistance? Dorne, House Martell, was allied with the Targaryens right?

Why didn't Robert Baratheon personally go with Ned stark to save Lyanna at the Tower of Joy? The Mad King was already dead. Was Robert just that worn out from the Trident battle? Did they even know that it was guarded by 3 men? How the heck were they able to just ride towards Dorne territory without resistance? Dorne, House Martell, was allied with the Targaryens right?

He was wounded, and Ned wasn't leaving King's Landing to look for Lyanna. I'm sure that was one of his goals but his immediate destination was Storm's End to lift the siege. Nobody expected to find Lyanna there.

Archived