Small Questions v. 10100

Maybe you should reassess your idea that Tyrion isn't a threat to the Starks. His family goes to war with them, with him holding a position of some authority. He also ends up marrying one of them against her will, and part of his reason for doing so is to claim their ancestral home for his own. Most directly, though, the direwolves being hostile to Tyrion (especially in Winterfell) most likely just serves as foreshadowing of the war between the Starks and Lannisters that was about to break out.

Hello. Yes - I absolutely see your point. It just seems a little lazy to have Tyrion representing his family entirely when he is in fact so different from them and is probably the only Lannister who doesn't pose a personal threat. It is also an oddly placed event: given that the reader might believe Tyrion DID send the assassin, the behaviour of the direwolves seems reasonable. Once the reader becomes aware of LF's involvement then their behaviour seems strange. I can't back this up without lots of reading, but I think all other wolf attacks have been in response to immediate or future personal threat. Can anyone find an instance that doesn't fit that pattern?

Dear fellow forummers,

I can't make the search function work, and I'm sure this has been both asked and answered, so apologies in advance. But it's really bugging me. Given that there's always a reason behind their attacks, why in GoT do the direwolves turn on Tyrion even though he presents no threat (immediate or in the future as far as we know) to any of the Stark children?

Best way to search the forum... type search terms followed by site:http://asoiaf.westeros.org into google.

Could anyone please post me the app entry for Daemon Sand, if he has one?

Known as the Bastard of Godsgrace, Ser Daemon is a bastard son of Ser Ryon Allyrion. He was Arianne Martell's first lover when they both were fourteen. He aspires to winning her hand in marriage but is rejected by Prince Doran. He accompanies Oberyn to King's Landing, and his report of the Red Viper's death is one of the first to reach Dorne.

A close friend and confidant to the Sand Snakes and Arianne, he is arrested at Prince Doran's orders when he speaks out against the imprisonment of Oberyn's bastard daughters. When the Sand Snakes are freed, Ser Daemon is freed as well. At the feast for Ser Balon Swann, Ser Daemon is among those present who refuse to drink in the name of King Tommen.

Known as the Bastard of Godsgrace, Ser Daemon is a bastard son of Ser Ryon Allyrion. He was Arianne Martell's first lover when they both were fourteen. He aspires to winning her hand in marriage but is rejected by Prince Doran. He accompanies Oberyn to King's Landing, and his report of the Red Viper's death is one of the first to reach Dorne.

A close friend and confidant to the Sand Snakes and Arianne, he is arrested at Prince Doran's orders when he speaks out against the imprisonment of Oberyn's bastard daughters. When the Sand Snakes are freed, Ser Daemon is freed as well. At the feast for Ser Balon Swann, Ser Daemon is among those present who refuse to drink in the name of King Tommen.

Thanks! :)

I am getting a bit confused regarding the timeline at the end of the Robert's Rebellion. We know that after the Sack of King's Landing, Ned and Bobby B had quarrelled and Ned left shortly after for Storm's End and later the Tower of Joy. I have a feeling that after visiting Starfall, Ned headed north via King's Landing (he probably sent Howland, Jon and Lyanna's body on a ship) to personally tell Robert about Lyanna's death and perhaps to attend his coronation and wedding with Cersei. At the moment, I can't really recall if Ned visiting KL after the events at ToJ is something I made up or if we have any evidence for it.

What I want to know is if we know when was Robert crowned as king? Was it right after the Sack or later? His wedding to Cersei must have happened after he received the news about Lyanna's death. Was he a king already and do we know if Ned was present at Robert's coronation and/or wedding?

Thanks a lot.

I am getting a bit confused regarding the timeline at the end of the Robert's Rebellion. We know that after the Sack of King's Landing, Ned and Bobby B had quarrelled and Ned left shortly after for Storm's End and later the Tower of Joy. I have a feeling that after visiting Starfall, Ned headed north via King's Landing (he probably sent Howland, Jon and Lyanna's body on a ship) to personally tell Robert about Lyanna's death and perhaps to attend his coronation and wedding with Cersei. At the moment, I can't really recall if Ned visiting KL after the events at ToJ is something I made up or if we have any evidence for it.

What I want to know is if we know when was Robert crowned as king? Was it right after the Sack or later? His wedding to Cersei must have happened after he received the news about Lyanna's death. Was he a king already and do we know if Ned was present at Robert's coronation and/or wedding?

Thanks a lot.

I'm doing a re-read now and Ned said that after the argument about Elia and her kids, even Jon Arryn couldn't cool it and it took another death to bring Robert and Ned back together. then he goes on to talk about the death of Lyanna and how they both loved her. So he left KL, finds Lyanna, goes back to starfall to get Wylla for Jon, and likely goes back to KL to tell Robert. That means Jon and Lyanna's body traveled ahead of him, probably by ship, to the North. I haven't seen anything saying Ned was or wasn't at the coronation.

Although, I have always thought it was odd that Robert started a war over Lyanna and yet didn't go looking for her once he had KL. I know he was injured on the Trident but still, you start a war over a girl and then just sit tight before you know where she is? If he'd found her pregnant, everything would have been different.

In short, we don't know:

I can't really recall if Ned visiting KL after the events at ToJ is something I made up or if we have any evidence for it.

We know Ned and Robert reconciled over Lyanna's death, so the assumtion that they met in person comes easily. King's Landing is a very probable meeting point on Eddard's way homeward. Still, any other might do as well.

We only guess that the coronation might have been hurried. With the calamity of the battle on the Trident only a few days past, it might have been a lucky shot to collect pretty much everyone in King's Landing in a matter of 3 weeks. Or given the wedding to Cersei should have taken place at the same time, say 4-5 weeks maybe.

Robert was king when he came to King's Landing, by proclamation I assume.

I have always thought it was odd that Robert started a war over Lyanna and yet didn't go looking for her once he had KL. I know he was injured on the Trident but still, you start a war over a girl and then just sit tight before you know where she is? If he'd found her pregnant, everything would have been different.

This is an in-universe misconception that's well present in many Westerosi minds: Robert started a war over Lyanna.

But he did nothing of that. He may remember it that way for romantic reasons. We know for fact indeed that Jon Arryn started a Rebellion against Aerys II over the life of Robert and Eddard. It was about bringing Aerys Targaryen down, so Robert and Eddard might live as Lords paramount of the Stormlands and the North and their lines to continue.

eta: As it happened, Robert and Eddard turned out to be very capable, formidable and charismatic leaders and took over the lead of the Robellion, so in the end, shortly before the battle of the Trident, the question came up of what to do after vicrory and Robert won the argument on grounds of his Targaryen granny making him closest related to the current line of kings.

This is an in-universe misconception that's well present in many Westerosi minds: Robert started a war over Lyanna.

But he did nothing of that. He may remember it that way for romantic reasons. We know for fact indeed that Jon Arryn started a Rebellion against Aerys II over the life of Robert and Eddard. It was about bringing Aerys Targaryen down, so Robert and Eddard might live as Lords paramount of the Stormlands and the North and their lines to continue.

eta: As it happened, Robert and Eddard turned out to be very capable, formidable and charismatic leaders and took over the lead of the Robellion, so in the end, shortly before the battle of the Trident, the question came up of what to do after vicrory and Robert won the argument on grounds of his Targaryen granny making him closest related to the current line of kings.

Regardless of whether it was true or not, in his mind it was the reason for the rebellion (though Jon Arryn officially started it) and it was the reason for his hatred of the Targaryens, his enthusiastic killing of Rhaegar, his approval of the murders of Elia and her children, and he certainly thinks he loved her as he continued to say her name to Cersei and visited her grave as soon as he got to Winterfell. Yet he didn't go look for her, despite he was officially declared king at the Trident? It just seems off.

Did we learn it was before? I'm only aware of a pair of SSMs saying around or just after.

When did Robert proclaim his intention to take the throne? At the outset of the war, or was it a relatively late development?

Robert proclaimed his intention to take the throne ... around the time of the Trident. Would not elaborate any further. Mentioned Robert's claim being stronger than Eddard Stark's and Jon Arryn's, the leaders of the two other great houses that spearheaded the revolution, due to blood ties to the Targaryen's.

Actually he said around the time of the Trident or just after. Something about the "Just after" comment struck me, especially as he then launched into a discussion of why Robert was the logical king if Viserys or an as yet unborn Dany were not desired as king.

If it was around or after the battle that leaves open the possibility that the rebels only decided on the goal of making Robert king after he had killed Rhaegar.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1384

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/2005/11

Archived