Stannis Baratheon vs Randyll Tarly

Davos is King

Good god I can only imagine the pre-battle twatish conversation between those two hardasses.

Tarly: I'm the fucking man!

Stannis: No, I'm the fucking man!

Tarly: You can't even produce a decent male heir!

Stannis: My daughter could kick that fat fruit Samwells ass!

Tarly: Women belong in the kitchen! What are you some kind of spineless feminist?

Stannis: Thats it! Mel! fetch me a shadowbaby!

I'd say It's a close call. I started a topic about Stannis' fighting abilities some time ago and we didn't really have much evidence about how good he actually is. We know he did well to cut Davos' fingertips, but was always owned by Rob when they dueled as kids. He survived some battles but we don't exactly know how many enemies he had to fight.

Don't know much about Randyll either.

I'd say It's a close call. I started a topic about Stannis' fighting abilities some time ago and we didn't really have much evidence about how good he actually is. We know he did well to cut Davos' fingertips, but was always owned by Rob when they dueled as kids. He survived some battles but we don't exactly know how many enemies he had to fight.

His personal fighting prowess is very nearly irrelevant though. The only reason I won't say it's completely irrelevant is because in a close-fought battle the commander may need to lead the reserve himself, and if he's a skilled fighter he can get in the thick of it and still have a decent chance at survival - which could act as a morale booster.

But I think Stannis and Tarly are evenly matches there, too. Neither are front-line fighters, but they're both competent enough to hold their own.

I'm giving it to Stannis though, but really both are hard, competent men that appear to be respected by their troops, even if they are... somewhat lacking... in the politeness department.

I'm going with Stannis just because he's had more recent practice. Our last glimpse of Stannis has him preparing for yet another battle. Our last word on Tarly is that he's guarding Margaery. A man can get rusty just sitting around guarding queens.

I'm going with Stannis just because he's had more recent practice. Our last glimpse of Stannis has him preparing for yet another battle. Our last word on Tarly is that he's guarding Margaery. A man can get rusty just sitting around guarding queens.

It isn't like Randyll has been guarding her for years. Heck, he has probably spent less time doing that then Stannis spent pouting after BW.

It isn't like Randyll has been guarding her for years. Heck, he has probably spent less time doing that then Stannis spent pouting after BW.

Any time off will dull his skills, compared to Stannis who is fighting. Maybe not a huge difference but it could be just enough to give Stan the edge.

Most people including even Rhaegar were owned by Rob when they duelled.

I feel Batman vs Superman logic comes into play here.

If it is an even, upfront battle magically out of no where, no prep, I'd give the edge to Tarly as he is a mixture of Stannis's smarts and Robert's smash. The added aggression would be decisive.

However, if this was a war scenario(prep time), then Stannis, by far, as he is all about unconventional tactics which likely would catch the rigid Tarly off guard.

But I think Stannis and Tarly are evenly matches there, too. Neither are front-line fighters, but they're both competent enough to hold their own.

I am going to have to disagree with that. We know Randyll is well known wielder of a valyrian steel great sword, we know he's lead vanguards in critical battles (and even defeated Robert at that). And he is described as a tough-as-nails soldier. Even if Stannis has the Baratheon build I'd say Randyll would win him one on one most of the times.

You are correct about that being mostly irrelevant though.

As commanders I'd say they are pretty even.

I am going to have to disagree with that. We know Randyll is well known wielder of a valyrian steel great sword, we know he's lead vanguards in critical battles (and even defeated Robert at that). And he is described as a tough-as-nails soldier. Even if Stannis has the Baratheon build I'd say Randyll would win him one on one most of the times.

You are correct about that being mostly irrelevant though.

As commanders I'd say they are pretty even.

Hmm, a fair point.

I think Tarly's position as leading the vanguard is more to do with him not being in overall command (that would be Mace), but yes that does suggest he's more of a front-line fighter than Stannis is - though the latter will do it when required (I'm still not sure if he actually took part in the fighting on the Blackwater, his complaints about fake-Lightbringer being nothing special suggests that he did).

By the same token I would say that Stannis gets the edge as a commander though, but we're not likely to see those two go head-to-head in a pitched battle (pitched battles are for idiots anyway, any competent commander will avoid them if he's not vastly outnumbering his opponent).

it's good to remind ourselves randyll beat robert because of mace's army closing in, home advantage and fighting the remnants of summerhall... Robert is superior on land, not much because Tarly proved on BW he is a great himself... to awnser the op, stannis is a more complete commander and randyll a more complete warrior/general imo... so, equal conditions on 1v1 tarly, on a war scenario stannis

Archived