The Farseer Trilogy

thenorthremembers74

I just finished The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I thought it was an excellent Trilogy. I fell in love with all the characters, especially Fitz and Nighteyes. I'm looking forward to reading The Fool's Quest. If you have read this Trilogy, what were your thoughts about it? What other series would you recommend? Thanks!

I also loved this series when I read it 15 years ago. Just fantastic characters and I love the setting as well.

Not as detailed as some but a great sense of place.

Fool's Quest is not the next book in the series by the way.

Fool's Errand, Golden Fool and Fool's Fate are your next books. Fool's Assassin is book 7, Fool's Quest book 8.

I also loved this series when I read it 15 years ago. Just fantastic characters and I love the setting as well.

Not as detailed as some but a great sense of place.

Fool's Quest is not the next book in the series by the way.

Fool's Errand, Golden Fool and Fool's Fate are your next books. Fool's Assassin is book 7, Fool's Quest book 8.

Thanks

I'd suggest reading the Liveship Traders series first before starting Tawny Man. Same world, different (and fantastic) characters w/ a couple cameos. Well worth it IMO.

Thank you. I will do that [emoji3]

I'd suggest reading the Liveship Traders series first before starting Tawny Man. Same world, different (and fantastic) characters w/ a couple cameos. Well worth it IMO.

You should read everything in that world. Twice. A year. For the rest of your life.

In my humble opinion...

Or, in normal talk, I really love these books. :)

ETA: on a more serious note, if you enjoy the bond between Fitz and Nighteyes, and the Witted stuff, you should give the novella a try, The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince. It's only a short read and very entertaining.

I second the suggestion that you should continue with The Liveship TradersTrilogy before the Tawny Man. There are some revelations in there that might be helpful for understanding Tawny Man later. (Also, in my humble opinion, Liveships are even better than Farseer.)

You should read everything in that world. Twice. A year. For the rest of your life.

In my humble opinion...

Or, in normal talk, I really love these books. :)

ETA: on a more serious note, if you enjoy the bond between Fitz and Nighteyes, and the Witted stuff, you should give the novella a try, The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince. It's only a short read and very entertaining.

Thanks for the suggestions [emoji3]

I second the suggestion that you should continue with The Liveship TradersTrilogy before the Tawny Man. There are some revelations in there that might be helpful for understanding Tawny Man later. (Also, in my humble opinion, Liveships are even better than Farseer.)

I purchased the Liveships trilogy. I'm going to start it this weekend [emoji3]

I loved all the books Hobb has done in that world. Some of the characters (Regal) fell a bit flat and sometimes the pacing was a bit off but generally they were fantastic. The Fitz/Fool relationship in particular was handled beautifully and I'm glad that it didn't just end predictably with Fitz being everyone's hero and getting the girl.

Well I'll be the first to say that I didn't enjoy the trilogy.

Spoilers...

Sure there were some good parts, I actually really like the first book. I thought Molly, lady patience, nighteyes, the fool (for the first 2 books), and the stable-master (forget his name) were all well written characters. I also liked the magic system with the skill vs the wit.

But god I couldn't stand Fitz. He was ok the first book, but by the third book I'm sad to say that he became by far my least favorite protagonist. For a book that seems to pride itself on character development I found Fitz to be severely lacking.

His development basically comes down to a continuous cycle of

1) Fitz making a mistake usually out of ingnorance

2) Fitz getting yelled at for his mistakes, promises to do better, but still doesn't really understand why he did anything wrong.

3) Because he didn't learn anything, he makes another mistake and on and on,

Fitz was a just plain old boring to me. The constant whining became terrible, and the plot became fairly predictable because you knew every chapter would end with something going wrong. Also him being a terrible assassin bothered me. You would think a series with Assassin in every title would have at least 1 successful assassination.

Regal was also a huge problem for me. He was just a terribly written character. He switches from a spoiled brat who doesn't know how to tie his own shoes, to a cunning supervillian, back to a useless bumbling idiot between every chapter. Just pick a direction and stick with it.

Also the first third of the 3rd book (the journey to Tradesford) is entirely pointless and added nothing to the plot. Why not cut out those 150 pages and add it the end. Which was such an anticlimatic let down. The entire plot with the attacking pirates and the witless zombies was actually engaging, but it was reduced to basically a 2 page summery of "the dragons saved everybody".

Fitz IMO is one of the best characters ever written. He's engaging and endearingly flawed. He's a teenager who's trying to find his place and wavers between confident in stupid ideas and hesitant in good ones. He has his successes and his failures; and sometimes learns from those and sometimes doesn't. A very human character that just gets better and better the more she writes about him.

Fitz IMO is one of the best characters ever written. He's engaging and endearingly flawed. He's a teenager who's trying to find his place and wavers between confident in stupid ideas and hesitant in good ones. He has his successes and his failures; and sometimes learns from those and sometimes doesn't. A very human character that just gets better and better the more she writes about him.

This.. Fitz is a typical teen and he resonates...

That seems to be the thing with Fitz; either you think he's a fantastic and deep character, or you think he's a whiny asshole. I cast my vote for whiny asshole. But the good news is that Liveship Traders doesn't feature Fitz, and is all around a much better series than Farseer. Though it does still suffer from typical Hobb bloat.

I have only read Assasins Apprentice but I do plan on finishing the series. I found AA to be good (probably a 3.5/5) however Fitz did strike me as a proper whiny git. I think I would be with Myshkin on that one - I just wanted Fitz to suck it in and get hold of himself and stop moping about a dog!

However I was sufficiently intrigued to carry on (I liked the idea of taboo Wit).

That seems to be the thing with Fitz; either you think he's a fantastic and deep character, or you think he's a whiny asshole. I cast my vote for whiny asshole. But the good news is that Liveship Traders doesn't feature Fitz, and is all around a much better series than Farseer. Though it does still suffer from typical Hobb bloat.

I fall in between the two. I like him a lot, but more as a person than as a protagonist.

Archived