The Farseer Trilogy

thenorthremembers74

No I have faith Robin will deliver next summer  !

Fool's Quest was just... oh man, it was.... I cried at the Farseer and Family chapters, I laughed with Per and Spark, I was excited at Fitz meeting some other main characters of the universe (Malta, Reyn, Thymara, Tats), I was full of anger with Bee, I was fearful for Chade and the Fool, I'm still in love with Kettricken, Dutiful was impressive as always, Elliania made very strong impressions on me, I wished for Lant and Shine to trust themselves... I went to every state of mind reading that book and it was oh yeah so glorious ! 

I started with Liveships (because I make poor life choices,) It's very very good, I'd suggest reading it, many view it to be the best. There's a bit of a time jump between the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies,so it might help you to feel like you've been away from these characters a tad, plus a 6D character pops up in Liveships.

In a way, yeah, Liveship is my favourite... but actually no... Rain Wilds was breath-taking as well, and just thinking about Fitz, no, I cant rank her sagas, they're all gold padn perfection ! 

I wish she'll do a third trilogy around the Rain Wild and Bingtown when she's done with Fitz, to check back one more time on Althea, Brashen, Wintrow, Etta, Alise, Sedric, Selden...

Being a year late to the party, today I've finished Fool's Assassin. I enjoyed it and am already thinking about how to oder Fool's Quest. :drool:

Anyway, some of my thoughts (obviously, spoilers for Fool's Assassin):

[spoiler]

• the book is very slow paced; little plot actaully happens. But by now I'm so attached to Fitz and his storyline that I'd probably read entire book about him being comatose and still enjoy it.
  • Oh Fitz.... How earnestly he tries with those he loves, and how his flaws keep getting in the way. How easier things would have been for him if he was less secretive and procrastinated less. This mars his relationship with both of his daughters, for example. But still he tries and I love him for that.
  • On the other hand, I'm starting to suspect that Robin Hobb has some sadistic tendencies towards Fitz. Have you ever noticed how his years of happiness and "fulfiledness" are glossed over in a few chapters. It's like she wants them out of the way in order for Fitz to deal with usual stuff: pain, death, desperation, blackmails, suffering etc. Bee inherited that, it seems, for she spends most of the book friendless and bullied.
  • It's always great to see more of the old, well-established characters. Chade being his usual spidery self, Kettricken ever gracious. I liked Riddle. I would have liked to see more of Nettle – her character has so much room for expansion, and I would have welcomed that.
  • For the first time in Fitz books, we have non-Fitz POV chapters – Bee in introduced as deutragonist. I'm still forming my opinion on her, although for now I like her much. There is always a danger she'll fall into young kid gets touched by magic and becomes super wise and smart stereotype (I'm looking at you, Selden), but for now she's fine.
  • Fitz's and Bee's relationship – there's so much going on here. Fear, pain, misunderstanding, isolation ... But most of all, there is happiness and love. They're accepting each other and generally progressing. Getting to know each other has been a journey for them both.
  • In the last chapter, we see Bee's joy and acceptance with people who came to take her. This is so out of character that it implies some kind od mind manipulation – perhaps she was Skill-influenced to like them?
  • Yes, characters can die. However, in this book they die so much that GRRM wouldn't be ashamed – Patience, Molly, Revel, almost Fool, maybe Lant...
  • Out of two newcomers in Whiteywoods, Shun is petty, spoiled and entitled to the point of disbelief. We've met other nobles during the course of the series, including kings and would-be kings Shrewd, Chivalry, Kettricken, Verity, Dutiful. None but Regal was every so insufferable as Shun.
  • FitzVigilant is a much different story. Half trained assassin-spy, educated enough to be a teacher, thorn in his stepmother's side - the one she wants to kill etc. He comes off as jerk teacher to Bee to some degree, but I suspect there's much more to him. There must have been something to warrant Nettle's and Riddle's good opinions of him. His flaws, I think, are gullibility and wanting to impress others (case in point – Shun). I don't want him to die and I definitely hope to see more of him in the next books.
  • About their parenthood – Shun is noted to have Farseer looks. That drastically reduces the number of potential parents – I think only two suitable candidates are Chade and Regal. I'm leaning towards Regal at this point (they're both entitled and Fitz thinks Shun grew outside of Buck (Farrow perhaps). I know entitlement is not hereditary, but it could be a nod by Hobb). Does timeline fit? Lant's parents seem to be Laurel and Lord Vigilant. Is this a cover story – for Riddle certainly thinks Vigilant is a boor incapable of seducing Laurel? Is there more to it?
  • Perseverance – one more character I'm eager to read more about in following books. And his relationship with Bee is well – he is her first and best friend for now.
  • We also get to hear a few tidbits about Six Duchies lore, namely speculation about Elderings by Bee, Fitz and Riddle. I must say I'd love to hear more about them, their society, history and nature of their ultimate downfall. They have mixed Precursors + High Men vibe around them. Long lived humans at the peak of their culture and art. In touch with magic, used it to make their lives better and easier. Far more advanced then any other society in the present. Almost utopistic society obliterated by some unknown catastrophe. Give us more, Robin!
  • Whites are obviously going to be important in this triology, so I expect we'll hear more on them later.
  • Ditto for Fool - it's nice to have him back. There's juuuust a miniscule chance that he and Fitz will be thrown into dangerous and life-threatening adventures again.
  • One of the themes explored is friendship – Fitz and Fool, Fitz and Riddle, Bee and Per etc. Just so, because Fitz really constantly needs to be reminded that he's not alone, that he has people who would help him one way or another.
  • A minor point really, but why aren't Nettle and Riddle allowed to marry? Is Dutiful forbidding her to keep her open for future possible matches or out of political necessity? For there seems little point in keeping his friend and Skillmistress unhappy about such issue. I wonder whether this will be a plot point later.
  • And finally we meet our antagonists for this series of books – the Servants. We know that they supposedly serve White Prophets, that they're competent, effective and more than a bit sadistic. But everything else around them just baffles me – for one, what is their goal? Regal was a spoiled brat who wanted to become king, Pale Women wanted to make world into what she thought is a better place (despite how unsympathetic and misguided she was), but I don't get what would Servants want? I doubt they'll be simple „for the lulz“ villains – that's just not Hobb's style.

[/spoiler]

edit:typos

Forgiveness isn't the same as blind trust though. Look at what Chade said to Fitz early in Assassin's Quest [spoiler]Basically that he loved him, but he didn't trust him anymore.[/spoiler] And frankly I don't think that Verity bears his brother very much affection after the end of the first book. I just don't believe that he, or others in positions of power, would allow Regal to act with such impunity, [spoiler]or be stupid enough to put his wife and his kingdom at his brother's mercy when he took off on his quest.[/spoiler]

Agree with this 1000%. 

Regal was always the problem for me with these books. The dude was just a little too mustache-twirlingly Prince John for me to believe he would have ever been allowed to live past book 1.

[spoiler]

• Oh Fitz.... How earnestly he tries with those he loves, and how his flaws keep getting in the way. How easier things would have been for him if he was less secretive and procrastinated less. This mars his relationship with both of his daughters, for example. But still he tries and I love him for that.
  • FitzVigilant is a much different story. Half trained assassin-spy, educated enough to be a teacher, thorn in his stepmother's side - the one she wants to kill etc. He comes off as jerk teacher to Bee to some degree, but I suspect there's much more to him. There must have been something to warrant Nettle's and Riddle's good opinions of him. His flaws, I think, are gullibility and wanting to impress others (case in point – Shun). I don't want him to die and I definitely hope to see more of him in the next books.
  • About their parenthood – Shun is noted to have Farseer looks. That drastically reduces the number of potential parents – I think only two suitable candidates are Chade and Regal. I'm leaning towards Regal at this point (they're both entitled and Fitz thinks Shun grew outside of Buck (Farrow perhaps). I know entitlement is not hereditary, but it could be a nod by Hobb). Does timeline fit? Lant's parents seem to be Laurel and Lord Vigilant. Is this a cover story – for Riddle certainly thinks Vigilant is a boor incapable of seducing Laurel? Is there more to it?
  • Perseverance – one more character I'm eager to read more about in following books. And his relationship with Bee is well – he is her first and best friend for now.
  • A minor point really, but why aren't Nettle and Riddle allowed to marry? Is Dutiful forbidding her to keep her open for future possible matches or out of political necessity? For there seems little point in keeping his friend and Skillmistress unhappy about such issue. I wonder whether this will be a plot point later.

[/spoiler]

I only finished Fool's Assassin as well, and I agree with most of your impressions ... just a few words more.

[spoiler]

Maybe I am more critical of Fitzy than most, because I just see him saying he will honestly try, and then he does not. The first thing he could do would be to, you know, be trustful and completely open and not lying to his inner family, as in telling Molly about the assassins in the house and such. And he should really really learn to say no to people - especially Chade. "No, I will not take Shun into my house unless you tell me who she is and why she is so important." "No, I will not take Lant into my house because I have once caught him sneaking around my daughter's cradle and I do not want half-trained assassins spying for you around here." Or maybe, "No, Shun, I have spent enough money on your clothes and rooms already, such and such will be your allowance and you are not getting anything more." I never get the feeling that Fitzy is really trying to control the household.

I love Bee and all her chapters. It is so refreshing to not be in Fitzy's head all the time. She is so charming in her combination of childishness and adulthood, wise beyond her years and sometimes just so childishly simple.

I agree that Lant is partly being so awful because he is trying to be liked by Shun. When Shun is not around, he is much more decent than when she is. I still do not think he is trustworthy, but I just wish Shun would do her Malta-turn soon and learn to be a decent being. I think she is Chade's daughter, btw.

Per is great, I hope to see more of him.

I think they are not allowed to marry because Nettle is the last spare heir to the throne. Seeing how Dutiful has two sons of his own, I am pretty sure she could be allowed to marry by now, but apparently not. :dunno: I wish we saw more of Nettle's early years as Skillmistress, when she first came to court, how her story with Riddle was, her relationships to Dutiful and Kettricken ... she is somewhat a lost opportunity in this series for me.

[/spoiler]

• 2 months later...

Agree with this 1000%.

Regal was always the problem for me with these books. The dude was just a little too mustache-twirlingly Prince John for me to believe he would have ever been allowed to live past book 1.

I'm pleased to see others are seeing the same problem I am with the books. I've almost finished book 2 and while I'm enjoying it, it is ridiculous how easy everyone makes it for Regal to be evil. I'm at the stage where I don't blame Regal but everyone around who sits by and let's him do so. I just don't buy the chivalry (not the character) as a justifiable reason.to allow someone to terrorise and destroy the kingdom. Surely when you know (or even suspect) he's killing the actual royals above him there'd be a royalist who'd act and face the consequences for the good of the realm?

As it is I blame all the protagonists for being ineffectual, particularly Chivalry (the character) for being the only one who could legitimately tackle the problem and then king Shrewd (and the Farseer dynasty) for setting up such a fragile court. It's amazing a person didn't destroy it before Regal. In series like ASOIAF while there are dicks in charge it's because there are enough people backing the villain. It may be the case with Regal and we are simply missing this because of Fitz' POV.

Otherwise the book is really well - written and to be fair the insane politics are still well executed even if annoying. Maybe I'm writing this prematurely as the book could end with someone "biting the bullet" but it's already overdue and the damage done. All I keep thinking while reading is the phrase "All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

I'm pleased to see others are seeing the same problem I am with the books. I've almost finished book 2 and while I'm enjoying it, it is ridiculous how easy everyone makes it for Regal to be evil. I'm at the stage where I don't blame Regal but everyone around who sits by and let's him do so. I just don't buy the chivalry (not the character) as a justifiable reason.to allow someone to terrorise and destroy the kingdom. Surely when you know (or even suspect) he's killing the actual royals above him there'd be a royalist who'd act and face the consequences for the good of the realm?

As it is I blame all the protagonists for being ineffectual, particularly Chivalry (the character) for being the only one who could legitimately tackle the problem and then king Shrewd (and the Farseer dynasty) for setting up such a fragile court. It's amazing a person didn't destroy it before Regal. In series like ASOIAF while there are dicks in charge it's because there are enough people backing the villain. It may be the case with Regal and we are simply missing this because of Fitz' POV.

Otherwise the book is really well - written and to be fair the insane politics are still well executed even if annoying. Maybe I'm writing this prematurely as the book could end with someone "biting the bullet" but it's already overdue and the damage done. All I keep thinking while reading is the phrase "All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Regal does have backing, that is sort of the point. It will become more apparent in the final book iirc, but there are nods prior to that. It's not really that spoilery but I'll tag it, just in case

Basically, the loyalties split almost evenly between Inland and Coastal Duchies. The Inland Duchies are for Regal, because that is his mother's 'home' while the Coastal duchies are for...well, themselves, because they are the ones facing the direct threat from the Red Ship Raiders. A threat which only tangentially (in terms of trade) affects the Inland Dukes. The divide is shown pretty clearly come book 3, with Regal going so far as to move the Royal Court to...Tilth, I think? One of the Inland Duchies anyway.

Yeah Regal never really worked for me either. He kind of lacked depth and felt out of place in Hobb's heavily character driven story. It also kind of annoyed me that all the villains in Tawney Man were tied back to him somehow...

Quick question for those who've read them. I've heard that Fitz and the Fool sort of ties all the previous books together. Do I have to read the Rain Wilds Chronicles to understand any part of the story>

Actually if i were to quibble here, Regal links back to them rather than vice-versa. I know that seems unnecessarily fussy but there is a slight difference

The Pale Woman va The Fool is an important relationship, so Regal being her pawn rather than the opposite way around is a distinction that should be noted

And i understand the criticisms of Regal. But i personally like the ott pampered prince Hobb crafts. To each their own though.

As to your second question, strictly speaking no you dont, but you would get waaay more out of it if you do. Moreso than omitting Liveships impacts Tawny Man. As of yet we havent had a huge RW info fump like we got in Tawny Man. And as i noted elsewhere, Hobb recently said on social media that she is struggling to write a scene in a way that makes sense if you havent read Liveships and RW. So i would suggest reading but thats just my opinion

Regal does have backing, that is sort of the point. It will become more apparent in the final book iirc, but there are nods prior to that. It's not really that spoilery but I'll tag it, just in case

Hidden Content

Edit. I really need to spoiler some of these comments. Don't read if you haven't read Royal Assassin

i've just read a segment reminding me of Regal's support from two of the duchies. I still feel like everyone makes it far too easy for him and the other duchy's seem a bit ineffective in offering support too. I guess the raiders keep the beach-based duchies busy.

I got Chivalry and Verity mixed up in the earlier post. It's Verity who I feel should have done more regarding Regal. I still get the vibe Chivalry had some plan unfolding I've not been made aware of at this stage in the series.

Like I said, I sort of like Regal for taking advantage of the situation and knowing he can act with impunity. I also think he's far smarter than Fitz (and others) give him credit for. I also appreciate the idea that he thinks Fitz and lady Thyme poisoned his mother - that goes a long way to justifying his behaviour and why he'd probably hold his dad responsible too.

I do get a strong vibe of Rome during their difficult 3rd century where internal politics caused as much of a problem as the external attacks. All this series needs is an outbreak of plague and I'd be convinced Hobb took inspiration from the period. EDIT - turns out they had a bad outbreak of blood plague before the story began.

So I had a lovely long post that I just lost because of the stupid banner ad. Ugh, I might type it out again later, sorry if it seems like I just ignore your posts

no worries. Lately it's pot luck if anything other than the ads load when I visit a thread.

It's funny how my rant earlier must have been about 20 pages before Hobb went to some length to actually address them!

Spoilers for Royal assassin

I still feel it should have come a lot sooner but she has least introduced the idea that there are parts of the 6 duchies that are unhappy with Regal's machinations and willing to take some initiative. So now it's simply back to the Farseer family being useless! I guess Shrewd knew what he was doing but possibly made himself too central to everything. It is nice to have a fantasy series where a brain tumour (I'm assuming that's what it is) is what ruins things rather than magic/poisoning/possession etc. Seems to be something that never happens in fantasy - I guess the murder beats cancer/neurodegeneration.

i've just read a segment reminding me of Regal's support from two of the duchies. I still feel like everyone makes it far too easy for him and the other duchy's seem a bit ineffective in offering support too. I guess the raiders keep the beach-based duchies busy.

The coastal duchies not only have to deal with the raiders, but the inland duchies are also where the wealth of the nation is concentrated. So it's more lopsided than that.

So I had a lovely long post that I just lost because of the stupid banner ad. Ugh, I might type it out again later, sorry if it seems like I just ignore your posts

Thanks for the recommendation.  I've just finished Assassin's Apprentice, and enjoyed it enough to want to finish the trilogy. 

Like others though, I do think the Kingdom's problems would be substantially eased if Fitz slipped a little something into Regal's food.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I've just finished Assassin's Apprentice, and enjoyed it enough to want to finish the trilogy. 

Like others though, I do think the Kingdom's problems would be substantially eased if Fitz slipped a little something into Regal's food.

It's not so much Fitz but his higher ups that are the problem. It's pretty clear Fitz would act if commanded too. The "good guys" are crippled by their own rules. Although I keep trying to think that the inner duchies have a point to some extent - they just have a nasty spokesperson.

Fitz feels a deep sense of obligation to his higher ups though. We see this with Shrewd, when as a child Fitz wont steal the knife for Chade because Shrewd is his King. And the relationship between Fitz and Verity is very well developed as is the mentor/mentee relationship with Chade. I think its made fairly clear that Fitz would like nothing more than to kill Regal. But his superiors do not want that. At the end of the day, Regal is family to them (and Fitz, but still). Shrewd in particular loves him, and in his ailing state is blinded to his faults. Bear in mind also that Regal is taking charge of his father's care. An overt move against him is almost like moving against the King himself. As for Verity, he is not blind to Regal...but, he is too occupied by the Raiders. He shoulders that burden entirely himself - see also how much he neglects Kettricken. I suspect he fully intended to deal with Regal once the external threat was gone. Because its so against his own nature, i doubt Verity would realise that Regal would

abandon the Coastal Duchies to their fates and actively create internal conflict whilst the Duchies were under siege. Which is why he feels able to leave to seek the Elderlings...of course, Regal then tries to bave him killed, by which point its too late to do anything.

I suppose what i want to say is that Regal's plan is only capable of working because of the unique set of circumstances: 1) The support of the wealthy Inland Duchies 2) The preoccipation of his brother and the coastal Dukes with the RRR 3) The precarious situation, in which there is nominally a King, but one who is ailing and incapable of real action, leaving a power vacuum of sorts. And 4) Fitz (and to an extent Chade) feeling restricted by Shrewd when it comes to killing Regal. The fourth point is pretty key because 

Once Shrewd is dead, Fitz snaps and is ready to kill. I think even without Regal's dungeons (these scenes imprpved him as a villain imo) Fitz would have gone after Regal because he was no longer bound by his oath to Shrewd

Archived