Why did Rhaegar give the garland to Lyanna? A Harrenhal discussion...

Rippounet

Not every "romance" is harlequin material either. A lot of good stories have romantic stories and they do fine. He definitely uses a lot of classic symbolism for those sort of pairings.

Yes, Im not arguing that. I've read tons of Arthuriana and it's spread as a base throughout the series in symbolic ways as well as themes. But he almost always twists it to get a look at the darker side of it.

Hey, I'm not dissing romance! I very much hope Rhaegar and Lyanna turn out to have a love story I can believe and that's consistent with the rest of the books.

Not every "romance" is harlequin material either. A lot of good stories have romantic stories and they do fine. He definitely uses a lot of classic symbolism for those sort of pairings.

Yes, Im not arguing that. I've read tons of Arthuriana and it's spread as a base throughout the series in symbolic ways as well as themes. But he almost always twists it to get a look at the darker side of it.

Hey, I'm not dissing romance! I very much hope Rhaegar and Lyanna turn out to have a love story I can believe and that's consistent with the rest of the books.

Honestly I can not find a good reason for this crowning other than his uncontrollable passion.
Rhaegar apparently wanted to impress Lyanna by this move.
What else can impress a young girl more than crowning her as his queen of love and beauty in stead of his lady wife and in front of the whole kingdom? This literally showed that rhaegar fell for her completely and madly, so much so that his reputation and duty was nothing compared to her beauty. And he is the most handsome man in the country and a future king.
Lyanna must be completely flattered by this.

I guess we can only go by what we ourselves might feel because we've not been privy to any conversation from Lyanna except the one where she disapproves of Robert's philandering and has misgivings he'll continue after they're married.

At fifteen, I would feel completely embarrassed if the man was married.

As for Rhaegar, if he didn't care what his wife and his subjects thought, then he wasn't fit to be king. He's not fifteen.

That to me says there was another purpose for the garland. More stakes than just an infatuation he could carry on privately if he was intent to pursue it.

I guess we can only go by what we ourselves might feel because we've not been privy to any conversation from Lyanna except the one where she disapproves of Robert's philandering and has misgivings he'll continue after they're married.
At fifteen, I would feel completely embarrassed if the man was married.
As for Rhaegar, if he didn't care what his wife and his subjects thought, then he wasn't fit to be king. He's not fifteen.
That to me says there was another purpose for the garland. More stakes than just an infatuation he could carry on privately if he was intent to pursue it.

Well. Love is the death of honor. Rhaegar may regret later but he did it anyway, like Robb Stark.
Lyanna has wolf blood and rhaegar is literally the most noble and handsome man and also crown prince and great singer. If lyanna felt embarrassed by this rose crowning then she would not hold roses before death. I remembered in some dream she wore the wreath too. If rhaegar can ignore his wife and children, lyanna probably has less reason to concern them anyway.
I feel neither politics nor prophecy could justify this move so I guess it must be due to desire.
Aegon IV did the same thing. Entered a tourney and planned to crown his mistress( the woman he loved) as queen of love and beauty in stead of his queen wife.

Well. Love is the death of honor. Rhaegar may regret later but he did it anyway, like Robb Stark.
Lyanna has wolf blood and rhaegar is literally the most noble and handsome man and also crown prince and great singer. If lyanna felt embarrassed by this rose crowning then she would not hold roses before death. I remembered in some dream she wore the wreath too. If rhaegar can ignore his wife and children, lyanna probably has less reason to concern them anyway.
I feel neither politics nor prophecy could justify this move so I guess it must be due to desire.
Aegon IV did the same thing. Entered a tourney and planned to crown his mistress( the woman he loved) as queen of love and beauty in stead of his queen wife.

I know but unless Rhaegar had a dramatic seachange, he wasn't anything like Aegon the Unworthy. Other than Robert, people speak quite highly of him.

Also remember the realm was very unstable. He wasn't king. He was at Harrenhal for political reasons, and couldn't rely on celebrity status to get away with anything. He needed to show he was strong, sure and noble. A leader. Why undercut that confidence in him by slighting his wife? It would be like Barack Obama on the campaign trail telling everyone - the whole world - how hot he thought the new intern was

That's why I have a sneaking suspicion it might have been a furious Arthur Dayne instead. And if it was Rhaegar, he did it for reasons of friendship for Arthur and would tell Elia about it later when he (profoundly) apologized. Or as the OP says, there was a more political motive. To me, there's an outside chance he was already targeting Lyanna because of a new prophecy. But whatever the case, I don't see him so lost to sanity he would give her the roses just for love. There are other ways to compliment a woman, and far more private places for married men to do so.

I know but unless Rhaegar had a dramatic seachange, he wasn't anything like Aegon the Unworthy. Other than Robert, people speak quite highly of him.
Also remember the realm was very unstable. He wasn't king. He was at Harrenhal for political reasons, and couldn't rely on celebrity status to get away with anything. He needed to show he was strong, sure and noble. A leader. Why undercut that confidence in him by slighting his wife? It would be like Barack Obama on the campaign trail telling everyone - the whole world - how hot he thought the new intern was
That's why I have a sneaking suspicion it might have been a furious Arthur Dayne instead. And if it was Rhaegar, he did it for reasons of friendship for Arthur and would tell Elia about it later when he (profoundly) apologized. Or as the OP says, there was a more political motive. To me, there's an outside chance he was already targeting Lyanna because of a new prophecy. But whatever the case, I don't see him so lost to sanity he would give her the roses just for love. There are other ways to compliment a woman, and far more private places for married men to do so.

ETA: also, did she hold blue roses before death? They grow in the North. How did they get to Dorne a continent away and still be preserved? I thought that was symbolism in Ned's dream because that's how all the trouble started. Also, I'm not saying she didnt love him when she slept with him. I think she very likely did. And probably vice versa.

Because of the crown of blue roses, everyone assumed then, and readers assume now, that Rhaegar abducted her out of some uncontrollable passion or she ran away with him willingly for love.

Actually, there's not really any evidence that anyone then thought it was some uncontrollable passion. There's not much evidence of why anyone thought it happened at all...

GRRM reinforces this view in an interview where he says that despite all noble marriages being arranged in the middle ages, there are no real-life stories of the women running off to escape them. "They just didn't do it." He says. (I will attempt to find the video link if anyone is interested).

I think you'll find that what he said about "they just didn't do it" is a noblewoman running away with the stable boy - a pauper peasant.

They are many historical instances of noblewomen running away with another nobleman including one thats close to an exact match to the R+L affair. Ygraine probably can provide the historical reference.

1) From the accounts we've heard of the tourney, even from Selmy, Rhaegar winning it was a surprise to the onlookers. If you take into account the purpose of the tourney, it was to forge an alliance to make Rhaegar regent. Symbols of strength are everything and it was important to Rhaegar to win that tournament. Dayne loses to Rhaegar on purpose leaving the odds on favorite as Selmy, who was never part of the alliance plotting. He could therefore not have been taken into confidence and asked to take the loss. Rhaegar would have to beat him: good as Rhaegar was, he likely had not a hope. The only person who did was Sir Arthur Dayne.

This is simply wrong. Its been oft-touted by Rhaegar haters (of which there are many, often of the rabid and data-vacant kind) but completely ignores the considerable data we have on Rhaegar's jousting past.

No one was 'surprised Rhaegar won'. He didn't enter tourneys all that often but he had done very well the other times we know about, defeating many and storied Knights from all over the place, including both Arthur Dayne and Barristan Selmy previously.
What they were surprised about was him passing by Elia for the award. He was famously and above all 'dutiful' after all, to the extent that most people probably just assumed he would 'dutifully' name his wife so when he rode past her...

Check out Rhaegar's wiki page I should think for other tourney references
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tournament_in_honor_of_Viserys's_birth
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tourney_at_Storm's_End

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Tourney_at_Harrenhal

2. If that seems too romantic to you, then though we've been given hints Rhaegar was unlikely to have won, consider that he did win.

No we are not given any such hints.

This is all predicated on the fact that before the joust, Brandon was likely confronted by Arthur and Rhaegar about the seduction and refused to break his contract to the Tullys and marry Ashara, whose House has nowhere the stature and his father will likely not let him. Even then they might have threatened Lyanna's honour never expecting to go through with it. Brandon offers Ned as husband instead (witness him almost forcing the boy to dance with her) but I expect Ashara then and certainly Rickard later refuse.

There is no real evidence for any of this.

Note that the dance between Ned and Ashara happened on the first evening of the tourney. It seems unlikely any seduction had happened already by that time...

I have found listening to the podcasts of not only our own Lord and Lady of the forums--Elio & Linda--to be helpful but those of Radio Wesreros; History of Westeros and others to be very helpful in deepening my understanding of events in the books,

As to it applies to the topic at hand I recommend listening to the Radio Westeros discussion on R * L = J The Dragon, the Wolf and the Rose.

It had not occurred to me that Aerys might have been so dillegent in his desire to unmask the mystery knight that Lyanna's life was in danger. That is, if you accept the theory that it was she not Howland who fought in the tourney. Certainly Howland Reed felt his life in danger. So much so he fled. If you take that into consideration the presentation of the Roses was not only meant as a sign of his respect and favor as well as a love token but also as a way to protect Lyanna by Rhaeghar from his mad father. By publicaly displaying his interest in her, sheltering her from Aerys wrath. Aerys in arresting Lyanna at Summerhall would have started a War not only with the Starks, Robert, etc. but with his own son.

As the World Book reveals Aerys already had much suspicion of Rhaeghar,

There is much to indicate in the World Book that Lyanna and Rhaeghar had arranged to meet up after Harrhenhal and that it was not an abduction.

ETA: also, did she hold blue roses before death? They grow in the North. How did they get to Dorne a continent away and still be preserved? I thought that was symbolism in Ned's dream because that's how all the trouble started. Also, I'm not saying she didnt love him when she slept with him. I think she very likely did. And probably vice versa.

Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister's eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black.

Honestly I can not find a good reason for this crowning other than his uncontrollable passion.
Rhaegar apparently wanted to impress Lyanna by this move.
What else can impress a young girl more than crowning her as his queen of love and beauty in stead of his lady wife and in front of the whole kingdom? This literally showed that rhaegar fell for her completely and madly, so much so that his reputation and duty was nothing compared to her beauty. And he is the most handsome man in the country and a future king.
Lyanna must be completely flattered by this.

If you get over the whole QoLaB thing is purely a romantic gesture - which it patently is not since the KG name QoLaB when they win with it definitely not being a romantic gesture for most of them (note that Barristan Selmy is not thinking of a romantic gesture to Ashara Dayne if he'd won, but a platonic honouring that would let her know his respect and that he'd be a support if she needed one - he's far too wedded to his vows, unlike Martell), and the Uncle and Brothers of Miss Whent certainly were not defending her crown as a romantic gesture to her, then the answer is very simple.
Rhaegar knew she was the KotLT but could not honour her for that due to Aerys' paranoid enmity. So he honoured her for that in the only way possible.

Which plenty of people misinterpreted initially, but that is their problem, no big deal for Rhaegar or Lyanna if there is no follow up.

There being no follow up until after Elia is declared barren around 9 months or more later also explains why there is not a single hint to us of any carry on between Rhaegar and Lyanna between Harrenhal and the abduction. If there was any carry on, everyone at court would have had an eagle eye on them and someone would have caught a whiff, which we'd have heard of by now.

One just has to follow all the actual data about QoLaB and not get caught up by only some of the data, only those clues which show it sometimes being used for romantic purposes.

ETA: Some questions then:
 - Who did Barristan name at the tourney of the Silver Bridge? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?
 - Who did Barristan name at the tourney at Maidenpool? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?
 - Who did Dayne name at the tourney in honour of the Viserys' birth? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?
 - Who did Barristan name at the tourney at Storms End? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?

- Who did Jaime name at the tourney for Robert's wedding? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG? Actually, this one is funny - he probably named Cersei and truly meant it as a romantic gesture but no one really believed it was one. :rofl:

- Who did Barristan name at the 294 tournament in KL? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?

What's interesting to me (and may have been brought up already so I apologise if I'm repeating obvious things): Rhaegar presumably* would not have been able to just conjure up a garland; Lyanna must have brought it with her*. That leaves two possibilities:

1) She gave it to Rhaegar

2) Rhaegar found it

RE 2; If he found the shield, maybe he found the garland with it, and this was his way of letting her know that he knew her secret, but would keep it?

(*assumption, not set in stone.)

Corbon: re your 'romantic gestures'. Perhaps there was no scandal because it was presumed that a KG would not be able to act, and thus his choice would be purely a platonic one; Rhaegar was not held back by the same things that would hold a KG back. It is a good point though ,and a definite hole in the presumed narrative.

Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister's eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black.

If you get over the whole QoLaB thing is purely a romantic gesture - which it patently is not since the KG name QoLaB when they win with it definitely not being a romantic gesture for most of them (note that Barristan Selmy is not thinking of a romantic gesture to Ashara Dayne if he'd won, but a platonic honouring that would let her know his respect and that he'd be a support if she needed one - he's far too wedded to his vows, unlike Martell), and the Uncle and Brothers of Miss Whent certainly were not defending her crown as a romantic gesture to her, then the answer is very simple.
Rhaegar knew she was the KotLT but could not honour her for that due to Aerys' paranoid enmity. So he honoured her for that in the only way possible.
Which plenty of people misinterpreted initially, but that is their problem, no big deal for Rhaegar or Lyanna if there is no follow up.

There being no follow up until after Elia is declared barren around 9 months or more later also explains why there is not a single hint to us of any carry on between Rhaegar and Lyanna between Harrenhal and the abduction. If there was any carry on, everyone at court would have had an eagle eye on them and someone would have caught a whiff, which we'd have heard of by now.

One just has to follow all the actual data about QoLaB and not get caught up by only some of the data, only those clues which show it sometimes being used for romantic purposes.

ETA: Some questions then:
 - Who did Barristan name at the tourney of the Silver Bridge? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?
 - Who did Barristan name at the tourney at Maidenpool? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?
 - Who did Dayne name at the tourney in honour of the Viserys' birth? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?
 - Who did Barristan name at the tourney at Storms End? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?
 - Who did Jaime name at the tourney for Robert's wedding? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG? Actually, this one is funny - he probably named Cersei and truly meant it as a romantic gesture but no one really believed it was one. :rofl:
 - Who did Barristan name at the 294 tournament in KL? Why is there no scandal at the romantic gesture made by a KG?

Come on. It is called queen of love and beauty. Not medal of bravery and knight spirit.
I am also interested why there were no crowning in many other tourneys. I mean, author did not write that, what can we do?
Whent maiden held the crown at the beginning. The tourney was made in honor of her naming day by her father. Of course the crown was with her in the beginning. Somebody had to hold it, right? Her family defended her but only final champion can name the queen of love and beauty. If Oswell won then he can name her niece if he wants. But rhaegar is not family of lyanna.
There is no doubt that queen of love and beauty is a token for romantic love. Barri love ashara as a man loves a woman. Sex is another thing since he is KG. But his love is as pure as rhaegar's in lyanna. It lasted so many years and still overwhelming.
Every story about the final champion crowning his queen of love and beauty is related to romantic love. Nobody can deny this. It is not like if rhaegar thought this is a token of respect and honor, then this is. Sorry, everybody else did not think so.
If he did not forget about his wife, it would be nice of rhaegar to ask elia to be absent that day to avoid being publicly shamed.

OP: good job weaving speculation and facts. I would just point out that, at least it seems to me, you take for granted that What Daenerys saw in the House of the Undying Ones actualyy happened, as if she was watching a recording. I don't believe that's the way way it was presented. We are given sufficient clues to identify the three persons in the room without much doubt, Rhaegar, Elia, and Aegon son of Rhaegar. But Rhaegar looks at Daenerys and tells her, not Elia, that there must be another.

OP: good job weaving speculation and facts. I would just point out that, at least it seems to me, you take for granted that What Daenerys saw in the House of the Undying Ones actualyy happened, as if she was watching a recording. I don't believe that's the way way it was presented. We are given sufficient clues to identify the three persons in the room without much doubt, Rhaegar, Elia, and Aegon son of Rhaegar. But Rhaegar looks at Daenerys and tells her, not Lyanna, that there must be another.

You mean Elia?

Lyanna was not there at all. Rhaegar did not talk with Lyanna and he was not with Lyanna either. 

Ha ha, I like that. It seems we have a similar agenda, hum, perspective on things.

While I don't dismiss the possibility of love eventually happening (the series is dark enough as it is), I think that neither the garland incident nor Lyanna's abduction had anything to do with love. This is the fool's tale that was told (in different fashions) by both rebels and loyalists, and it's almost logical that neither version is actually true.

As for prophecies, well, it seems well established that at least the garland had nothing to do with them, and I strongly believe the same holds for the abduction. This was a red herring all along.

I totally agree with this. As you know I think Aerys was the one to order the abduction of Lyanna to prevent Rhaegar's imaginary alliance with the Starks. If Targaryen men (soldiers or kingsguard) abducted Lyanna, everyone would have immediately thought of Rhaegar first, and hardly bothered to even check. Since Rhaegar was himself on the road at that point he would have had no way to prove his innocence without finding and rescuing Lyanna. And yet I think he did try. Possibly he succeeded if R+L=J is true, or he failed if it's actually A+L=J.

That thought had also occurred to me. This is where Yandel's (or Pycelle's, or the Citadel's) bias for the Lannisters could prove important. Yandel writes at length about how Aerys slighted Tywin on numerous occasions, yet totally absolves him of any scheming or wrongdoing.

But the tournament of Harrenhal was made possible by... Gold. Lots of gold. Anyone should have at least mentioned Tywin as a possible suspect. He had the means and the motive, he was known to prefer Rhaegar over Aerys. Also, Tywin's absence at Harrenhal is somehow conspicuous for me.

The question here would be whether Tywin and Rhaegar acted together on this, but the involvement of a kingsguard (Oswell Whent) seems to suggest they did: Rhaegar gave the order to Whent, Tywin provided the gold.

I even considered the possibility that the garland-incident was a message for Tywin (I was thinking of him when writing about people "not even at the tournament"), but couldn't figure out what kind of message it sent exactly (Contact the Starks? Lyanna is key, protect her?).

I saw your theory on the other thread and was tempted to mention it, but wanted to think it over, precisely because it struck me as brillant.

It certainly fits much of what we know:

- It would explain Brandon's outrage if he understood the message (even more so if the message had already been given to him in another form).

- It would explain Brandon's insane hatred of Rhaegar, and his obvious desire to kill him.

- It would explain how and why Arthur Dayne would have helped Rhaegar at Harrenhal (and Barristan's regrets).

- It would explain why Rhaegar would prepare that garland specifically for Lyanna, and why winning the tournament to deliver it was so important for him.

- Even if the tournament had originally been planned for political reasons, Aery's presence would have left Rhaegar free to follow his own code of honour in this matter.

It's completely in line with Rhaegar's character. Arthur Dayne was pretty much his best friend ; Ashara would have been like a sister to him. If Arthur went to Brandon first and was laughed at, Rhaegar would have had good reason to take matters in his own hands. But given the political situation and Brandon's status, such a "message" would have been the best choice.

It's perfectly possible to imagine Elia and the Martells were complicit... (or even Lyanna, though that's a bit of a stretch)

It might even be a plausible reason for Ashara's suicide, if she thought the garland incident to be to blame for the war. After learning of Ned killing Arthur, she would have felt responsible for their fight and her brother's death.

I look forward to reading your complete theory, and hope I haven't spoiled your fun. Kudos mate!

I haven't read this theory, but are you saying that Brandon somehow "dishonored" Ashara and that neither Rhaegar (the crown prince) nor Arthur (a member of the KG) did anything about it other than send "a message" via a crown of flowers? If someone "dishonored" (and I read that as either raped or attempted to rape) my sister and I'm best friends with the crown prince and a damn good fighter that person would be short a head.

I just can't see either Rhaegar or Arthur not doing something more violent in the spur of the moment upon learning this information.

Additionally the "turned to a Stark" line suggests she went to Ned and brother or not it doesn't fit Ned's sense of honor to do nothing about Brandon's action. 

What's interesting to me (and may have been brought up already so I apologise if I'm repeating obvious things): Rhaegar presumably* would not have been able to just conjure up a garland; Lyanna must have brought it with her*. That leaves two possibilities:

1) She gave it to Rhaegar

2) Rhaegar found it

RE 2; If he found the shield, maybe he found the garland with it, and this was his way of letting her know that he knew her secret, but would keep it?

(*assumption, not set in stone.)

Corbon: re your 'romantic gestures'. Perhaps there was no scandal because it was presumed that a KG would not be able to act, and thus his choice would be purely a platonic one; Rhaegar was not held back by the same things that would hold a KG back. It is a good point though ,and a definite hole in the presumed narrative.

This is one of the pieces of the puzzle that I too don't quite understand. I have no idea how Rhaegar got the blue roses of winter unless he'd come to Harrenhal intending to crown Lyanna Stark for political reasons. Because they don't grow in the South, do they? Who would have brought them along? How did they stay preserved in the warmer Riverlands?

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I should probably search the Forums for previous topics. (Wish the R+L=J threads were easier to search, because this has likely come up there as well.)

This is one of the pieces of the puzzle that I too don't quite understand. I have no idea how Rhaegar got the blue roses of winter unless he'd come to Harrenhal intending to crown Lyanna Stark for political reasons. Because they don't grow in the South, do they? Who would have brought them along? How did they stay preserved in the warmer Riverlands?

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I should probably search the Forums for previous topics. (Wish the R+L=J threads were easier to search, because this has likely come up there as well.)

IMHO It is called winter rose because the color is like cold frost. It is not because it only grow in winterfell. 

In fact, I think in Winderfell you have to raise it in a glass garden to obtain enough heat and sunshine.

That is why it looks precious in Winterfell and thus the favorite of Lyanna.

I think it can surely grow in other parts of the kingdom.

It was still Winter. No roses.

#Rosegate.

What if it wasn't an abduction. R & L bump into each other in the riverlands, L starts whining about Bob. R says, don't worry m'lady I'll save you from that marriage, my coup is happening soon and I'll be king, Whent will escort you to a safe place. You wont have to marry Robert. So they aren't even in love, he was just doing her a favor.

My thinking is close to this as well. Putting my romance hat on. R met L on the way or during preparation of the tourney but he doesn't know her because she's dressed like a peasant girl or a tomboy or whatever. Nevertheless, R was intrigued to discover that the boy/peasant girl is actually a highborn lady. By then they've already became friends and when R saw L as a lady, he just can't help but fall in lurve with her. Not only that R had correctly guessed that L was the KotLT based on his previous interactions with her. He declares his feelings but she doesn't believe him. He's married. That's why she had tears in her eyes when she heard him sing because it's sad, right? And unfair. So to prove to L that his feelings are real, he gave her the crown. Kinda like your Westori version of a giant teddy bear at a carnival.  :cool4: 

My thinking is close to this as well. Putting my romance hat on. R met L on the way or during preparation of the tourney but he doesn't know her because she's dressed like a peasant girl or a tomboy or whatever. Nevertheless, R was intrigued to discover that the boy/peasant girl is actually a highborn lady. By then they've already became friends and when R saw L as a lady, he just can't help but fall in lurve with her. Not only that R had correctly guessed that L was the KotLT based on his previous interactions with her. He declares his feelings but she doesn't believe him. He's married. That's why she had tears in her eyes when she heard him sing because it's sad, right? And unfair. So to prove to L that his feelings are real, he gave her the crown. Kinda like your Westori version of a giant teddy bear at a carnival.  :cool4: 

Thats the complete opposite of what I was saying. I am saying there isnt a romance. The romance is just filled in by shippers.

Archived