The true location of Dany's house with the red door

But why do the two guards in the Mercy chapter come so close to saying "There are no lemon trees in Braavos" ? Mere worldbuilding? We've already had a

As I have stated before up thread, these uneducated guards have never even set foot in Braavos before. Now they have just arrived and haven't entered the rich part of the city yet, let alone the Sea Lord's mance. They have been stuck in the grubby part of the city (basically the part of Braavos Arya has been stuck in since her arrival), where you won't find any trees let alone one with lemons on.

More telling here is that they expected those kind of trees to be there. That means they have heard stories about how the rich in Braavos lived and kept things like lemon trees.

Even without the lemon thing though... That red door comes up a lot in Dany's chapters. I did a search on asearchoficeandfire.com and in ADwD alone, the red door is mentioned in chapters I, II, III, VII, IX and X! It is mentioned twice in her first chapter of GoT alone. It seems to pop up in her dreams throughout the books.

Is this merely to show that Dany is an unhappy ruler longing for a simple life? A child at heart?

The red door is what makes Dany tick, so no wonder that it comes up so much. Compare it with Ned's honour and see how many references you get to that in AGOT. Her longing for the red door basically encaptulates the entire character. It's both something she personally strives for, although she fears that she'll never get it and something she tries to achieve for her people as well. That's what drives her to make these huge personal sacrifices, like marrying Hizdahr and making peace with Yunkai, she wants her people to have the opportunity of building their own red doors.

Her entire campaign for the IT really started because she wanted a red door of her own. She doesn't really care for power nor for her family name, she just thinks that she would have had a home like the red door in Westeros if her family hadn't been thrown out by bad people. That's why the truth about her father will devastate her, but she'll still move on Westeros because the thought that red door for her being there is just lodged in her brain.

I won't cross the Rubicon and start speculating, but it's fun to read about the links between the first Daenerys, the Blackfyres and Dorne. The first Daenerys wanted to marry Daemon but had to settle for Dorne instead, where the Water Gardens were built for her. The Daenerys we know, on the other hand, laughed at Quentyn Martell and her dragons burnt him to a crisp.

First of all, the whole Daenerys + Daemon thing seems to have been a piece of Blackfyre propaganda. The facts in TWOIAF don't seem to compute with a love affair between the two of them. The only tenable link the BF's have with Dorne is the fact that we know that House Yronwood rode with them in three different rebellions.

Secondly, you're framing the events surrounding Quentyn completely wrong. It's not as if she could help it that her dragons burned him. If she could, she would have done anything to prevent that. Quentyn's attempt at taming Viserion actually seemed to have been going wekk, but he took his eyes of the price and when that bolt was fired, Rhaegal cooked him. Daenerys also didn't laught at him, she thought that he had come with to little to late, which is actually damn true (signing that marriagecontract was all swell, but where were the Dornish during the many years Viserys and Daenerys were on the run, travelling from Free City to Free City).

Shouldn't Quentyn's revelation have shattered the image of an ideal childhood that he had? Yet she still longs for that house and that red door even after Quentyn's death as if nothing had changed... It makes her seem naive.

Quentyn's revelation didn't change anything about the feeling, it just showed that what she thought was the truth behind the feeling was different than what she previously imagined. In a way, this makes the memories even more idyllic and thus even more appealing to her.

Compare it with getting the Santa reveal when you're a kid. There actually is no old geezer flying around the world on his reindeer sled to provide the world's children with great gifts. But does knowing that completely taint your memories of those Christmasses gone by when you couldn't wait to see what Santa had in store for you? If anything doesn't it make you long for those simpeler days, when you could still believe in Santa?

How come you never call me sweetie?

Vicky has kindly offered to pay me a 100 bucks when he's inevitably proven wrong :P Make me the same offer and I'll call you sweetie or sugarpie or whatever else you like :P

Many posts ago, I showed why the red door is the most important thing, not this lemon tree crap. Unfortunately, that point escaped to many people here. There are two types of red doors in Daenerys' s memories, one is directed associated to Braavos and indirected to Dorne, via lemon tree. These memories belong to Dany. The other red door is associated to another place, closer to Braavos, but still in Westeros, and this place was home to another "fruit" of Dorne. These memories DON'T belong to Dany. You can guess this other place once you answer this: where can you find Westeros behind a door? That's the place.

I remember your post...

It's a thought. She's dreamed or had visions of Rhaegar more than once after all, and dreams can be symbolic rather than literal.

But... Well let's just say I wouldn't bet on it. ;)

I don't think that the house with the red door was the sealord's palace. Viserys and Dany obviously had a considerable amount of gold considering they had servants. Their first home after they fled Dragonstone was in Braavos. Darry made sure they had a home that befit their rank with servants to attend to their needs. The home was expensive real estate as evidenced by the lemon tree growing on the property. When Darry died, the servants turned on the Targaryen heirs. If they had lived with the sealord, this wouldn't be possible. How the servants react to the death of Darry prove he was viewed as head of household and the Targaryen heirs nothing more than children.

If they had been in Dorne there would be no way in hell Viserys would not know that. If they had been anywhere else in the world, what's the bloody point of having Dany misremember? This is not some minor thing like Arya forgetting the name of Joffrey's sword. This is a huge deal. She has been a consistent, reliable narrator this whole time. It seems like a pointless diversion. An unnecessary twist that would exist just to say "Haha! Gotcha!"

On a different note, just a random thought. In Daenerys I (GoT), Dany states that Viserys and her were fleeing the Usurper's hired swords from free city to free city, but that she never saw any of them. Soon after, in Eddard II, Robert informs Ned that Dany has wed Khal Drogo and Robert suggests sending an assassin as a wedding gift. Most likely this means that the true reason Dany and Viserys had to go from free city to free city was because they didn't have money and needed to take advantage of merchants' hospitality wherever they could, but not for too long.

As the last Targaryen heirs, after all that's happened to his family, Viserys had every right to believe Robert would send assassins after them. Jojen fears Bran and Rickon might be hunted by Bolton men (and later we find out they are!). Sansa, and Arya have the same fears. Robert did have spies tracking their movements.

Sure they needed hospitality but they could also fear for their lives. There's no reason why they can't have two motives for fleeing.

I remember your post...

It's a thought. She's dreamed or had visions of Rhaegar more than once after all, and dreams can be symbolic rather than literal.

But... Well let's just say I wouldn't bet on it. ;)

Except that her dreams and visions changed after she was "exposed" to the shadows in that tent. After that, she started to remember another house with a red door, one house that she certainly never knew. This fact alone is much more important than any recollection about a lemon tree.

Is it a crime to venture an observation without knowing what plot-purpose it might serve?

The Seastone Chair at Pyke is made of the same oily black stone as the buildings of Asshai. The foundation of the Hightower is made of the same fused black stone as the Five Forts of Yi Ti. The Bloodstone Emperor started a cult to worship a black stone fallen from the sky. There. Three observations, but no theory. I could speculate, but I'd rather not. It's not certain those serve any plot-purpose honestly.

Not a good example since is this all info culled from ancilliary material.

On a different note, just a random thought. In Daenerys I (GoT), Dany states that Viserys and her were fleeing the Usurper's hired swords from free city to free city, but that she never saw any of them. Soon after, in Eddard II, Robert informs Ned that Dany has wed Khal Drogo and Robert suggests sending an assassin as a wedding gift. Most likely this means that the true reason Dany and Viserys had to go from free city to free city was because they didn't have money and needed to take advantage of merchants' hospitality wherever they could, but not for too long.

But this establishes also, from the very first chapters of the series, that Viserys probably lied to Dany repeatedly. Not that this is new either.

Again ignoring the simple explanation. Viserys didn't lie to Daenerys about the knifes, he genuinely believed murderers were out to get them. Viserys was only a young boy himself and mentally unstable. We know he used to be different (even loving towards Daenerys) but he cracked under the pressure after he had to sell their mother's crown to keep both of them fed. He was clearly dillusional and suffered from bouts of paranoia, which is probably one of the main reasons why he kept on relocating. For him the knifes were real, even if they only existed inside his own head.

Back on track. We know Willem Darry was in Braavos at some point, probably with Dany and Viserys, because he signed the marriage pact there with Oberyn with the Sealord as witness. But we don't know when that pact was signed... Dany only assumes it was signed while she was in that "big house with the red door" because the pact was signed in Braavos, and she thinks she lived in Braavos for several years.

What if Dany only moved to that "big house with the red door" after leaving Braavos? Obviously it wouldn't be in Dorne, but why not another free city? From her first chapter she says she went straight from Braavos to Myr. Wouldn't it make sense to have stopped for some time in Pentos? From a geographical point of view alone, it's surprising that they would have gone from Dragonstone to Braavos, and then to Myr, but not stayed in Pentos at least for a short time. Obviously they wouldn't have stayed at Illyrio's place (she would remember that), but Pentos is a big city...

Again needlessly complicating the story. There is only a limited amount of time before Ser Willem Darry died. Daenerys rememberd Braavos, she remembered Ser Willem being sick there and she clearly remembers having to flee the place for some reason. Why would this be a different free city? What possible story pay-off is there in Daenerys being unreliable in this specific pkace.

As to why they skipped Pentos. Perhaps Viserys wanted to get as far away from Braavos as he could get on the first ship. Perhaps the GC was there at the time (they fight a lot in the disputed lands) and this is where he threw his infamous faimed dinnerparty for them. Perhaps he suspected the Myreenese to be more friendly to the Targaryens. Perhaps some old Targaryen loyalists had set up a base there or perhaps Pentos barred him from entering, not willing to risk the ire of the Westerosi and the Braavosi at the time. A billion reasons can be found for this.

In fact, come to think about it, how could the "house with the red door" ever be the Sealord's palace anyway? Would the Sealord's servants steal Viserys and Dany's money? And even if they did, why would Dany associate the theft with the door "closing behind them" ? When I first read AGoT I assumed that they had been renting a house and after Darry died and their money was stolen, were no longer able to afford the rent ; the text describes well the effect of dwindling resources.

The Sea Lord's attitude towards the Targaryens changed. Or more likely, the actual Sea Lord changed. In that period of transition, when the knifes come out as Syrio put it, some servants were smart enough to abscond with as much money as they could take. After the election ended, the new Sea Lord threw them on the curb and expelled them from the city. Heck, this very event may have been the root of Viserys's fear of the Usurpers knifes. He saw the Sea Lord die, the knifes came out and the next moment they had to flee the city minus a good deal of their income.

Okay, so Dany's window overlooked the glass garden/orangery? I wasn't aware that Planetos homes anywhere had windows into their greenhouses, but it's possible.

It is as possible of her memories being false/unreliable, that she live for a significant time in the seven kingdoms, apart from her brother, under the care of Mr. Darry, speaking High Valyrian, and then later not remembering a very long sea voyage to Bravos to meet her brother

The red door is what makes Dany tick, so no wonder that it comes up so much. Compare it with Ned's honour and see how many references you get to that in AGOT. Her longing for the red door basically encaptulates the entire character. It's both something she personally strives for, although she fears that she'll never get it and something she tries to achieve for her people as well. That's what drives her to make these huge personal sacrifices, like marrying Hizdahr and making peace with Yunkai, she wants her people to have the opportunity of building their own red doors.

In other words: characterization.

Well, it's possible. People spend so much time analysing those books (and we even have a search engine for that now!) that there's bound to be some confusion as to the role of recurring elements.

Quentyn's revelation didn't change anything about the feeling, it just showed that what she thought was the truth behind the feeling was different than what she previously imagined. In a way, this makes the memories even more idyllic and thus even more appealing to her.

Compare it with getting the Santa reveal when you're a kid. There actually is no old geezer flying around the world on his reindeer sled to provide the world's children with great gifts. But does knowing that completely taint your memories of those Christmasses gone by when you couldn't wait to see what Santa had in store for you? If anything doesn't it make you long for those simpeler days, when you could still believe in Santa?

I get your point. I'm less convinced though tbh.

Her reaction to the pact is hard to understand. She "feels [very] strange," and yet, as far as I know, never thinks about it again. I would have expected her to muse on it a little bit. Maybe at some later point reflect on how her life has always been ruled by politics and schemes. Or consider whether the Dornish would be useful to conquer Westeros.

Instead, after reading the pact she thinks of dreams and Quaithe (and thus is wary of Quentyn). And in her last chapter she again thinks as that period in Braavos as one of happiness. She doesn't think twice about the pact or its implications. It's almost as if she doesn't want to think about it (I've read someone saying she's repressing something).

If her first chapter in WoW doesn't contain at least some thought about it, then I'll think something fishy is going on in her head... ;)

Christmas is a bad example for me, 'cause I can't remember ever believing in Santa. In fact, I've never really liked Christmas as much as kids are supposed to and now I just hate it. :P

First of all, the whole Daenerys + Daemon thing seems to have been a piece of Blackfyre propaganda. The facts in TWOIAF don't seem to compute with a love affair between the two of them. The only tenable link the BF's have with Dorne is the fact that we know that House Yronwood rode with them in three different rebellions.

Secondly, you're framing the events surrounding Quentyn completely wrong. It's not as if she could help it that her dragons burned him. If she could, she would have done anything to prevent that. Quentyn's attempt at taming Viserion actually seemed to have been going wekk, but he took his eyes of the price and when that bolt was fired, Rhaegal cooked him. Daenerys also didn't laught at him, she thought that he had come with to little to late, which is actually damn true (signing that marriagecontract was all swell, but where were the Dornish during the many years Viserys and Daenerys were on the run, travelling from Free City to Free City).

Ha ha, you got me there, but I really wasn't trying to make much of a point. There are no obvious parallels between the two Danys (Danies?) and that's why it's fun. If anything, the first Daenerys not loving Daemon would make the contrast even better (stark-er, har har) for me.

And yeah, I know Dany had nothing to do with Quentyn getting kebabbed, but the trope-subversion on this one is hilarious. I mean, it's still her dragons.

However, Dany did laugh at Quentyn. I didn't believe it when someone said so on the forum but I checked and she totally did. Quentyn flushed too. She wasn't being mean or mocking, but she found his nickname "frog" hilarious. The passage is rather meta-textual.

Ok, I kind of regret posting here 'cause I'm really not passionate about lemongate. I find it intriguing to say the least, and I can totally believe that Dany's "house with the red door" wasn't in Braavos. But since I don't see what this means and don't buy the huge crackpots (like R+L=D), I don't... Well, I don't really care that much.

Again needlessly complicating the story. There is only a limited amount of time before Ser Willem Darry died. Daenerys rememberd Braavos, she remembered Ser Willem being sick there and she clearly remembers having to flee the place for some reason. Why would this be a different free city? What possible story pay-off is there in Daenerys being unreliable in this specific pkace.

Well that's the thing. Dany doesn't seem to remember Braavos, does she? Just a house and Darry, a red door and a bloody lemon tree...

And I don't know what pay-off this could have. Does one really need a theory to question a small element?

TBH, my first idea was that the lemon tree was not important. That this little detail only indicates that Dany's memories are not to be trusted, and that the element which is actually important is another one. In other words, the lemon tree is just a hint for the reader to figure out that there is a much bigger falsehood hidden within Dany's chapters. Not that I know what it would be, and I don't think it's about her identity.

Small detail perhaps, but people naturally assume that Darry signed the pact before he fell sick.

Yet, in Dany's first chapter, she seems to say he never left his sickbed ; apparently Darry was sick as far as she can remember.

So... Did the Sealord and Oberyn come to the "big house with the red door" and sign the pact there ? Did Dany meet Oberyn? Did he bring lemons (whose seeds would later grow outside the window) ?

It's silly of course, but Dany not remembering anything about the pact would explain her eagerness to dismiss it and preserve her ideal memory. And at the same time, it's kind of odd that she doesn't mention not remembering it. Or even thinking about when Darry managed to achieve this.

Another small detail: when remembering a happy period of your childhood you tend to know why. You had friends, you had time to read or play, you discovered stuff, you traveled somewhere...

Dany never mentions anything like that. We never learn why she was so happy at the time. Viserys was mean to her (to say the least), she had no parents, Darry was bedridden, and given who she is it's unlikely she had any friends. She must have felt lonely. She likely had a private tutor or two (like young Griff), since after they ran out of money they would have been harder to afford, but she doesn't mention anyone except Darry.

In her last chapter, she still says she was happier at that time than during her happy moments with Khal Drago. But all she focusses on is a damn door. That's... puzzling. Marcel, I understand that you would think those are the red doors at Dragonstone, and that they would symbolically open on Westeros. I'm not convinced, but I don't have anything better to suggest.

The Sea Lord's attitude towards the Targaryens changed. Or more likely, the actual Sea Lord changed. In that period of transition, when the knifes come out as Syrio put it, some servants were smart enough to abscond with as much money as they could take. After the election ended, the new Sea Lord threw them on the curb and expelled them from the city. Heck, this very event may have been the root of Viserys's fear of the Usurpers knifes. He saw the Sea Lord die, the knifes came out and the next moment they had to flee the city minus a good deal of their income.

Hmm, this time you are the one complicating things.

RoamingRonin's argument that they rented an expensive house is simpler.

While I don't find anything wrong with the notion of a lemon tree in Braavos, something about it strikes me as odd. We've all seen the Eiffel-Tower-outside-the-window trick in movies, alerting the viewer to the fact that the scene is in Paris. It would feel strange if they showed us an Italian restaurant outside the window of a scene set in Paris, even if there are Italian restaurants in Paris. For me the Titan or maybe a canal outside the window would anchor the scene in Braavos, but a lemon tree, while possible, would be a sloppy choice of detail. Of course, that does not mean it's not. But this thread has raised a few questions for me.

Dany has been told that Ser Willem and some brave men spirited her and Viserys out of Dragonstone and sailed for Braavos before Stannis arrived. I'm curious about who did the sailing as the Targ fleet had been smashed in a storm. And what confirmation do we have that Braavos was their first port of call?

When Dany remembers being on a ship with Viserys, she begins by thinking - Once, on a trip to Braavos... There is no indication that she is returning to Braavos. You don't take a trip to the place you live. She seems quite young in the scene. We know the marriage pact was signed sometime before she was five as Ser Willem was alive. Could this possibly have been her first trip to Braavos, when the pact was being signed in the eyes of the Sealord?

Also, she remembers the sail being green and when she tells Viserys that she'd like to be a sailor he tells her she is the blood of the dragon, not some smelly fish. Green sails, smelly fish. Could this be a ship of House Velaryon? Their colours are sea-green and the smelly fish on the sails is actually a seahorse. Their alliance with the Targs goes back to Valyria, but that probably wouldn't stop Viserys of thinking them beneath him.

Dany clearly remembers visiting a lot of Free Cities before arriving in Pentos several months before her wedding. She was about thirteen when she married, and had been about five when Ser Willem died which leaves her eight years for wandering, speaking Valyrian, etc. Before that, we know she was in Braavos. She remembers sailing there, she remembers a house there. But did she go there as a newborn straight from Dragonstone or was she old enough to remember the trip? I can't see how we can know for certain. She could have up to four years unaccounted for, which would leave room for some time in Dorne.

The description of the house with the red door varies slightly. One time it has carved wooden beams that might match the riverboats on the Greenblood, another time it is a long hall with stone arches she remembers best. But is this the same house of different houses? Maybe in Dany's mind the red door and the lemon tree, artefacts of a happier time, come with her whenever she moves, for the purpose of psychological stability?

So I think it is possible that at first Viserys and Dany were assisted and maybe even sheltered by Targ loyalists in Westeros. Dany might have spent some time in Dorne, even if the lemon tree is her only memory of it. Maybe on the Greenblood as the OP suggests, or perhaps in Lemonwood. That might suggest House Dalt are privy to Doran's plan, which would explain how Doran knew about Arianne's plot.

But even if all this was true, I fail to see what it would mean in the grand scheme of things.

Many posts ago, I showed why the red door is the most important thing, not this lemon tree crap. Unfortunately, that point escaped to many people here. There are two types of red doors in Daenerys' s memories, one is directed associated to Braavos and indirected to Dorne, via lemon tree. These memories belong to Dany. The other red door is associated to another place, closer to Braavos, but still in Westeros, and this place was home to another "fruit" of Dorne. These memories DON'T belong to Dany. You can guess this other place once you answer this: where can you find Westeros behind a door? That's the place.

That was actually my first theory a couple of years ago when someone first brought up the issue with a lemon tree in Braavos. There does seem to be a reincarnation angle with the Targaryens that is especially hinted at with Dany and Rhaegar. In fact the funeral pyre that Dany designs for Kal Drogo has some similarities to ancient Hindu cremation rituals.

I was always a bit ambivalent regarding the Dorne angle until I ran across the description of the house boats on Planky Town and realized that they could fit the bill for Dany's half-remembered House with the Red Door.

It's location would also be pretty symbolic if indeed Dany is coming to Westeros since this was the location that Nymeria landed with her thousand ships.

In fact it had occurred to me that Dorne may fit the bill as a probable landing spot for Dany and her army. If she is coming with a Dothraki horde, then they are going to need to at least stay within sight of land. The Stepstones are also the current location of two possible pirate fleets that may help Dany and her army cross over to Westeros, Sallador Saan's pirate fleet, and Aurane Waters' fleet. (and Saan's rainbow sailed ships are also a neat symbol of Dany crossing over the rainbow to get to her promised land).

So if Dany crosses the Stepstones she comes to Westeros by landing in Dorne. Now let's go back and review Quaithe's advice/prophecy to Dany and assume that Dany was in fact born in Dorne and see how it works out.

To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward, you must go back. To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.

If Dany's journey ultimately takes her to the Wall, then she must go to the North West of Westeros. If she lands in Dorne to get there, then she lands on the South East of Westeros. To go forward and reach her ultimate destiny, then she must go back, back to her beginnings. This makes sense if she was in fact born in Dorne, she is going back to where she started. Finally to touch the light (lightbringer? the light Bran sees beyond the Wall?) you must pass beneath the shadow, which could mean the city surrounding Sunspear, also known as the Shadow City.

As for the theory, since you believe in it, please tell me what plot-purpose the theory has. What is the purpose of Dany (and Viserys) being in Dorne? How Sealord of Braavos fit into all of that? Why Martells had to go to Braavos to make a secret pact? Basically, can anyone around here give us some clue of how this theory fits in rest of the story?

That's like saying you don't believe the Gravedigger=Sandor theory because we don't know the purpose of Sandor being alive. Two more books to go, Mladen, we don't know the entire plot yet.

How come you never call me sweetie?

Veltigar has a crush on me. He likes his men the same way he likes his coffee: obstinate and condescending.

Vicky has kindly offered to pay me a 100 bucks when he's inevitably proven wrong :P Make me the same offer and I'll call you sweetie or sugarpie or whatever else you like :P

Wait, I thought you pussied out on the bet. You mean you're in? Awesome. So I'll send you $100 if the lemon tree was in Braavos, and you'll send me $100 if it's not. Sound right?

At the harrenhall tourney, aerys dishonored Ashara. They make such a big deal of how she has purple eyes like the targs and like dany. Even cersei says, "everyone knows Ashara's stillborn was a girl." Dany is aerys and asharas baby, making her half fDany and half rDany.

Rhaella was really pregnant and really had a baby girl but the child died young (like several of her other children, not to mention the still borns). Varys knew he needed a princess so he grabbed ashara's bastard who was being raised in Dorne. Viserys convinced her she is rDany.

You want proof? I present you half memories of a lemon tree. Also, viserys hated dany so much because she was only a half targ bastard and he was BLOOD OF THE DRAGON.

It is known.

At the harrenhall tourney, aerys dishonored Ashara. They make such a big deal of how she has purple eyes like the targs and like dany. Even cersei says, "everyone knows Ashara's stillborn was a girl." Dany is aerys and asharas baby, making her half fDany and half rDany.

Rhaella was really pregnant and really had a baby girl but the child died young (like several of her other children, not to mention the still borns). Varys knew he needed a princess so he grabbed ashara's bastard who was being raised in Dorne. Viserys convinced her she is rDany.

You want proof? I present you half memories of a lemon tree. Also, viserys hated dany so much because she was only a half targ bastard and he was BLOOD OF THE DRAGON.

It is known.

You think Barristan would have noticed that. I highly doubt that Dany is the product of Aerys and Ashara.

You think Barristan would have noticed that. I highly doubt that Dany is the product of Aerys and Ashara.

Barristan would have noticed what? Dany could look like Aerys, the way Arya looks like Ned/Lyanna and not her mother.

Maybe Barristan is a faceless man who used to be a secret targ. he is trying to bring down dany! He does have white hair.

I'm starting to get a little worried that some of you don't recognize sarcasm when it smacks you in the face.

While it is plausible (given her history) that Rhaella gave birth to a stillborn or sickly infant who soon died, all the evidence points to Dany being their child. She did waken dragons, after all. I imagine you need more than a little Targaryen blood for that.

Archived