Give Lancel some slack

Witch

No I hate Lancel.

He knew Cersei and was stupid enough to get mixed up with her.

He helped kill the king who was awesome.

He tried to act like a tough guy to Tyrion (yeah big man threatening/trying to bully a dwarf) then wilted like a flower with the slightest pressure from tyrion.

He is/was a traitor to pretty much everyone who ever showed him some fellowship.

He could have been a loyal true squire to Robert and Robert would have treated him well and showed him a good time. Big Bad Bobby B knew how to reward good service and how to have a good time.

Once he has an awesome castle with a hot freak for a wife he is a little cry baby and spends his time being a sulky little churchy church instead of trying to get Gatehouse Ami knocked up. His wound was a stab to the side. No way that leaves him with erectile dysfunction. He just made a decision to be a bitch, its not medical.

I literally see zero redeeming qualities in Lancel. He went from being a traitorous squire to a d-bag false knight to a religious zealot all while screwing over everyone who gave him a hand the whole way.

This.

Religious fanatics are never good, he is just weak and is trying to find some meaning in life.

Using absolutes like that simply makes you sound like a bigot, mate.

Religious fanatics can serve both good and evil causes, dismissing all of them as "bad" uniquely because of zealotry is quite short-sighted.

Using absolutes like that simply makes you sound like a bigot, mate.

Religious fanatics can serve both good and evil causes, dismissing all of them as "bad" uniquely because of zealotry is quite short-sighted.

What? Extremists are never good.

What? Extremists are never good.

Extremism is a dangerous tool, but no, it is not "never good"... and I say that as a centrist.

Extremism can be the tool of great change, the French Revolution, while one of the bloodiest periods in history, led to the development of human rights as most know them today... the medieval Fraticelli were zealots, but fought for the people and against the corruption of Medieval society, early medieval monks were extremely pious, extremely so, and yet they are the reason we know what we know about the period.

Extremism usually gets things done, good or bad.

Did he participate in abusing Sansa in the books? I don't remember it.

No but he stood by and laughed when she got beat(I think)and than tried to act arrogant with her saying that Robb only beat the Lannisters through magic.

I hate him for that alone hopefully he dies painfully in TWOW.

^This is a really liberal forum so anyone who acts like a religious nut job is not going to be received well. You gotta figure people are being biased by the show right now too. The whole anti gay thing the show has going on is upsetting a lot of people.

Agreed about the show maybe twisting people's perceptions of the movement, but a lot of the people trashing Lancel are avid book fans as well.

As for the whole liberal thing being associated with a disdain of religion, I'm not sure I agree with... disdain of religion and political leanings are two very different things.

Did he participate in abusing Sansa in the books? I don't remember it.

Here's some Lancel ACOK:

“Not that I recall,” Tyrion admitted. “It grieves me to disturb your revels, Lancel, but as it happens, I have matters of import to discuss with my sister.”

Cersei regarded him suspiciously. “If you are here about those begging brothers, Tyrion, spare me your reproaches. I won’t have them spreading their filthy treasons in the streets. They can preach to each other in the dungeons.”

“And count themselves lucky that they have such a gentle queen,” added Lancel. “I would have had their tongues out.”

“One even dared to say that the gods were punishing us because Jaime murdered the rightful king,” Cersei declared. “It will not be borne, Tyrion. I gave you ample opportunity to deal with these lice, but you and your Ser Jacelyn did nothing, so I commanded Vylarr to attend to the matter.”

(Tyrion VI)

----

“Your Grace.” She fell to her knees.

“Kneeling won’t save you now,” the king said. “Stand up. You’re here to answer for your brother’s latest treasons.”

“Your Grace, whatever my traitor brother has done, I had no part. You know that, I beg you, please-”

“Get her up!”

The Hound pulled her to her feet, not ungently.

“Ser Lancel,” Joff said, “tell her of this outrage.”

Sansa had always thought Lancel Lannister comely and well spoken, but there was neither pity nor kindness in the look he gave her. “Using some vile sorcery, your brother fell upon Ser Stafford Lannister with an army of wargs, not three days ride from Lannisport. Thousands of good men were butchered as they slept, without the chance to lift sword. After the slaughter, the northmen feasted on the flesh of the slain.”

Horror coiled cold hands around Sansa’s throat.

(Sansa III)

Not a very empathetic person, to put it mildly. And, I don't think he really improved in that aspect later. My take is, getting so close to death he started fearing about his afterlife fate.

Here's some Lancel ACOK:

“Not that I recall,” Tyrion admitted. “It grieves me to disturb your revels, Lancel, but as it happens, I have matters of import to discuss with my sister.”

Cersei regarded him suspiciously. “If you are here about those begging brothers, Tyrion, spare me your reproaches. I won’t have them spreading their filthy treasons in the streets. They can preach to each other in the dungeons.”

“And count themselves lucky that they have such a gentle queen,” added Lancel. “I would have had their tongues out.”

“One even dared to say that the gods were punishing us because Jaime murdered the rightful king,” Cersei declared. “It will not be borne, Tyrion. I gave you ample opportunity to deal with these lice, but you and your Ser Jacelyn did nothing, so I commanded Vylarr to attend to the matter.”

He's sucking up to Cersei, nothing villainous in that.

“Your Grace.” She fell to her knees.

“Kneeling won’t save you now,” the king said. “Stand up. You’re here to answer for your brother’s latest treasons.”

“Your Grace, whatever my traitor brother has done, I had no part. You know that, I beg you, please-”

“Get her up!”

The Hound pulled her to her feet, not ungently.

“Ser Lancel,” Joff said, “tell her of this outrage.”

Sansa had always thought Lancel Lannister comely and well spoken, but there was neither pity nor kindness in the look he gave her. “Using some vile sorcery, your brother fell upon Ser Stafford Lannister with an army of wargs, not three days ride from Lannisport. Thousands of good men were butchered as they slept, without the chance to lift sword. After the slaughter, the northmen feasted on the flesh of the slain.”

Horror coiled cold hands around Sansa’s throat.

A family member was just killed, and to be fair, they were attacked during their sleep, a pretty dishonourable way to go. I'd be pissed as well.

So, if I take it correctly, your biggest gripes with Lancel is that he flatters Cersei and badmouths Robb on the orders of the King?

He's certainly a way better person than any of his cousins. Admittedly, that's not much of an achievement, but it's hilarious that so many Tyrion and Jaime fans proclaim what a terrible person Lancel is when he's a saint compared to their heroes.

I don't have to like only characters of high morality, do I?

I can be a fan of Jaime and Tyrion and still criticize Lancel's character. It does not *have* to mean that I think that they are morally better than he is.

I would enjoy seeing Lancel swinging from a noose.

1. He is responsible for his actions

2. Over compensating as a starry eyed religious fanatic doesnt absolve jacksht imo.

3. He's a tattle tale

4. I don't buy the whole genre of teenage boy gets lucky with attractive cougar then cries

about being a victim afterwords.

5. He willingly did what he did every step of the way. And that includes killing a

king so he could tap his wife.

If regret alone absolved people,

you could blow away anyone and then just say-

"So sorry, I regret it now."

Did I mention he's a despicable tattle tale?

He's sucking up to Cersei, nothing villainous in that.

A family member was just killed, and to be fair, they were attacked during their sleep, a pretty dishonourable way to go. I'd be pissed as well.

So, if I take it correctly, your biggest gripes with Lancel is that he flatters Cersei and badmouths Robb on the orders of the King?

Lack of empathy. It's not just about act, although he has acted in villanious manner in other circumstances.

Btw, so honourable to beat a little girl for what her brother did. So justified, so knightly!

DireWolfSpirit@ That is hardly regrett.

By the way before I talk about it any more I want to know your opinion of Jaime Lannister (if you dislike him too then I understand but if not then you are very hyppocritical).

Lack of empathy. It's not just about act, although he has acted in villanious manner in other circumstances.

Btw, so honourable to beat a little girl for what her brother did. So justified, so knightly!

He didn't beat her up, he read her the list of her brother's crimes, under the King's orders.

If that's all it takes for you to hate a character, you must hate 98% of the characters... All PoV characters bar Sam and Sansa included.

Archived