(book spoilers!) FTW

jontargaryen_

I read that as a miscarriage - which would be a good metaphor for her reign in Mereen - rather than a simple period, but I agree it feels like something significant has changed.

I think i remember Dany believing she hadn't had a period since early in her marriage to Drogo? (i think this was later when she was preparing to marry Hizdar when thinking about her infertility). Mirri Maz Duur referred to Danys womb "quickening' before Drogo was returned to her (in season 1) but it might have been just words but i don't know. The word quickening usually refers to baby movement but it can also refer to stimulation (maybe by whatever berries she ate). I interpreted this period as a significant event; she seemed surprised. If it was a miscarriage then that would mean she would have had to conceive the child in the first place, she would have noted a missed or late period & she may have felt some kind of disappointment (or relief) rather than surprise. Pure speculation but as a woman i took note of this as an important event.

Maybe Jon gets stabbed in Ep. 9 when hes back at Castle Black and challenged by death in Ep. 10. Thats my guess. :bowdown:

Yes, that's my guess too!

They can't hide the fact that Kit will shoot his scenes for season 6 (they couldn't hide Tyrion in Mereen, we have pictures of it, and they couldn't hide Cersei's walk in Dubrovnik either), so there's no reason to end the season on a fake cliffhanger that will be resolved with spoilers from the medias...

It's a cliff hanger until people find out (those who care that much) that he's filming. That's still a cliff hanger. And this is still going by the assumption that he isn't actually going to die. IMO revealing in the very next episode that he's alive / resurrected would completely remove the emotional impact of his 'death'. At the end of the day they can't really hide much because of the level of interest in the show, but they can't (and wont) write scripts based on this.

Yes, that's my guess too!

They can't hide the fact that Kit will shoot his scenes for season 6 (they couldn't hide Tyrion in Mereen, we have pictures of it, and they couldn't hide Cersei's walk in Dubrovnik either), so there's no reason to end the season on a fake cliffhanger that will be resolved with spoilers from the medias...

Well it's much easier to spot someone in Croatia (Dubrovnik) or Spain rather than in Belfast.They shoot the Wall scenes outside town(i don't know exact name of that place).I'm not saying it's impossible not to spot him,but much tougher than in Dubrovnik or Osuna.I mean people couldn't even figured it out that Tom Wlaschiha shoot indoor scenes in Belfast.

I think i remember Dany believing she hadn't had a period since early in her marriage to Drogo? (i think this was later when she was preparing to marry Hizdar when thinking about her infertility). Mirri Maz Duur referred to Danys womb "quickening' before Drogo was returned to her (in season 1) but it might have been just words but i don't know. The word quickening usually refers to baby movement but it can also refer to stimulation (maybe by whatever berries she ate). I interpreted this period as a significant event; she seemed surprised. If it was a miscarriage then that would mean she would have had to conceive the child in the first place, she would have noted a missed or late period & she may have felt some kind of disappointment (or relief) rather than surprise. Pure speculation but as a woman i took note of this as an important event.

Well, it's hard to know how much is fantasy and how much is meant to be real. It is possible, even in our world, for young women to miss multiple periods, especially at a young age, without pregnancy or any health issues. It occurred to me, when considering this reply, that Dany's fertility could be skewed the way the seasons of Westeros are. Personally, I doubt that.

My end reading is that Dany went through a time of infertility, had a miscarriage, and is ready for a new life of some kind.

@Jon Targaryen

What i want to know is, does FTW & Jon dying (temporarily) release him from his vows to the NW?

The Nights Watch oath states that "it shall not end until my death", however, at the end of the oath it says 'for this night and all the nights to come"..... So you would think that the last sentence covers an undead scenario? I guess I really want Jon to be released from his vows so he can take his place as king but I fear he is stuck forever so his identity is actually of zero consequence :(

To my mind, the NW & the possibly The Wall itself has to be destroyed to release Jon from his vows... that will be interesting to watch (season 7 maybe?).

I think it is guaranteed that the Night Watch will be destroyed, and very likely the wall as well although it might not happen at the same time. In the show there are supposedly only something like 50 Nights Watch Members left. It seems obvious that the Nights Watch will soon seize to exist, especially after another assassination attempt on their latest Lord Commander.

Technically Jon might be released from his vows if he actually dies, but it is not in Jon's personality to release himself from his vows due to a technicality. Jon must decide for himself that he actually wants to break his vows, and I think he will for what he sees as the greater good. Jon will properly look more towards what is really important about his Nights Watch vows; iow protecting the realms of men. On that premise he might decide to fight for control of the North. If he believes that by controlling the North he could be more effective against the White Walkers, then he would do it. But he will not be interested in Southern politics.

Going by the synopsis for this episode it seems obvious that FTW will happen in episode 10. If he actually dies and gets resurrected somehow, then I think they will show the resurrection because it will still be somewhat shocking. But if he gravely injured or in a coma then I think they will leave it as a cliffhanger, with perhaps some small clue that he is still alive.

Having someone die and be resurrected in the same episode would seem a bit much. It would work better if he was stabbed in episode 9 and resurrected in episode 10. I think it might be more likely that he is just injured and not really dead.

Your point that the wall and the watch may have to be destroyed is a very interesting one and would be awesome to watch but also terrifying consequences I think..

if the night's king can be destroyed then wall is irrelevant as is the watch. but if they had to destroy wall to kill or permanently block walkers i wouldn't expect that to happen til end of series, not just end of this season

Well to be fair, there was Sansa's bloody mattress. I don't think there will be mention of Dany's on the show though.

I'm thinking that HBO would enjoy a good riot..... but period blood, I dunno if they could handle that! Period blood could be going way too far! I bet they woos out and skip it- typical men! hahaha

Please prove me wrong HBO :)

magic binds the wall and the Nights Watch wards it, if the Night's watch is wiped out, the wall can be penetrated by the others and their wights. That and or the wall crumbles. I also think that A stark in Winterfell has a connection to the Night's watch and the wall but that is in the books, the show does not seem to care about such details.

I really hope they leave it as a cliffhanger, even us book readers know there is no way he can actually be dead dead. Why show him warging or resurrected in the finale, it will take all the anticipation away for the next season. This is a perfect finale scene. I think having such a shock, and then immediately be like psyche he's gonna live will be...gosh can't think of the right word....but it will just ring flat for me. From extreme shock, to immediate relief kind of cancels the moment out. Also, they haven't even really established warging (other than bran) and resurrection in the show much. I feel like a lot of show onlies are already confused enough this season, I think if anything like this happens will just add to their confusion. It will be a shock, but will they really grasp what has happened? I personally hope he lives, though on the brink of death thus warging into ghost. I personally am not a fan of the whole resurrection angle besides dondarrion and the weights....sorry hate the LSH side story, though I love the freys getting their dues. Then again the resurrection and warging (wargging sp?) are just speculation anyways but I think that is the right track. In all honesty, I want to finish out this season with out having that moment spoiled for me (so still debating to watch the final episodes), although I think it will make better tv to leave it as a cliffhanger as well.

Before FTW, I wonder what is actually going to be the final straw that justifies the action. Letter from ramsey saying he married sansa? is that enough? In the pink letter,iirc, isn't jon personally threatened? What beef does ramsey have with jon, jon made no attempt to save sansa. Stannis is killed.... but the watch takes no stance in the realm. Jon is at hardhome next episode so no involvement or inkling of what is going on in WF. Is WF even going to be the catalyst anymore? What is going to happen in the last 2 episodes to establish anything rational besides being a wildling lover that gets him killed? So i'm just real curious what is going to set this in motion? What is jon going to finally do that Olly is like, "I gotta kill the Mo' Fo." Any thoughts? I can't figure it out, or I guess I should say that so far in the context of what the show has portrayed, I can't come up with anything that is actually rational up to this point.

I remember a lot of people thinking Ned couldn't really be dead. I remember a lot of people thinking Robb and Cat couldn't really be dead (and on the TV-show Talisa with a baby on the way). George has a knack for taking away something brutally, then focusing on another hero as the story progresses. Jon in the TV-show and even in the books has been bombarded as the male Dany from the North for the die hard showfans. Everyone seems pretty convinced Jon is somehow going to face Dany or shag her, or become a king.. it's totally out of line with his character. Jon has been a burdened character as his world is grim and harsh, and he's stern enough to get around in that, but George writes realistic fantasy, and that doesn't mean that all of a sudden Jon is going to resurrect (or without consequences) because he is such a likable person to us, and get wings and a firesword and kill the Nights King then swoops on a dragon to Dany and live happily ever after. Jon is most likely going to die, either by this stabbing, or something that required his sacrifice (aka stopping the Nights King or whatever).

Nah, Jons dead feels more realistic and less WTF-ish to me then Neds and Robbs, especially since I started reading the books after The Red Wedding aired. The sense of betrayal is already there with Jon, as you know what kind of bastards the NW are. With Robb it felt just dramatic and so damn shocking. With Ned there was a sense of it being unreal, since he was kind of the pivotal character there. Jon has had a long journey, sure, but he never grew into someone who wasn't constantly bothered or feared or on his guard.

I read that as a miscarriage - which would be a good metaphor for her reign in Mereen - rather than a simple period, but I agree it feels like something significant has changed.

Yeah it definitely read like a miscarriage, which has similar implications to just her period but bigger in a way. The mother losing her unborn child that she didn't even know existed.

FTW as a cliffhanger for E10 without any foreshadowing how Jon will survive and no aftermath would be a bad move in my opinion. It could 'break the internet', sure, but how are they gonna rectify this in season 6? Any device they introduce to revive Jon would feel like a deus ex machina. Warging hasn't really been established. We have no Varamyr, no Jon warging Ghost, no Arya warging the cat etc. As far as the Unsullied are concerned, Bran (and Orell) are the only wargs in the series. They probably don't see the connection with the Stark family as wargs.

Without Lady Stoneheart a resurrection would also come out of the blue. Most show watchers have probably forgotten about Beric by now and Melisandre's burning of the leeches didn't even work, Balon was never killed (although this is probably a plot hole in the show). Having Jon survive the stabbing by suffering only minor wounds (possibly by wearing armor) or entering a coma would be even worse than the warging/resurrection.

So I definitely think (and hope) they'll show us a fraction of the aftermath (possibly Jon's eyes turning white and Ghost growling) or give us some major hints as to how he'll survive (maybe someone gives him the advice to wear armor or we see him putting armor on, maybe Jon warging Ghost is established in E9). Otherwise you would have this great shock value in this season but then a stupid sort of retcon in season 6.

Best ending imo would be:

Jon is stabbed and falls to the ground. Eyes turn white.

We see Ghost's eyes lit up from the dark and hear him growl. Camera follows Ghost who runs through a dark hallway and enters the scene. We now see Jon from Ghost's perspective in the distance and the 3rd/4th blade reaching him. Olly turns around and sees Ghost. Ghost leaps at Olly. Fade to black, credits roll.

I know DnD as well as Michelle Fairley said LS won't appear - but the fact that Mother's Mercy is her less discussed alias leads me to believe she will be one of the closing scenes.

Scenes:

a. ?

b. ?

c. ?

d. ?

e. ?

f. FTW

g. Lady Stoneheart

h. Resurrection

--Credits--

FTW as a cliffhanger for E10 without any foreshadowing how Jon will survive and no aftermath would be a bad move in my opinion. It could 'break the internet', sure, but how are they gonna rectify this in season 6? Any device they introduce to revive Jon would feel like a deus ex machina. Warging hasn't really been established. We have no Varamyr, no Jon warging Ghost, no Arya warging the cat etc. As far as the Unsullied are concerned, Bran (and Orell) are the only wargs in the series. They probably don't see the connection with the Stark family as wargs.

Without Lady Stoneheart a resurrection would also come out of the blue. Most show watchers have probably forgotten about Beric by now and Melisandre's burning of the leeches didn't even work, Balon was never killed (although this is probably a plot hole in the show). Having Jon survive the stabbing by suffering only minor wounds (possibly by wearing armor) or entering a coma would be even worse than the warging/resurrection.

So I definitely think (and hope) they'll show us a fraction of the aftermath (possibly Jon's eyes turning white and Ghost growling) or give us some major hints as to how he'll survive (maybe someone gives him the advice to wear armor or we see him putting armor on, maybe Jon warging Ghost is established in E9). Otherwise you would have this great shock value in this season but then a stupid sort of retcon in season 6.

Best ending imo would be:

Jon is stabbed and falls to the ground. Eyes turn white.

We see Ghost's eyes lit up from the dark and hear him growl. Camera follows Ghost who runs through a dark hallway and enters the scene. We now see Jon from Ghost's perspective in the distance and the 3rd/4th blade reaching him. Olly turns around and sees Ghost. Ghost leaps at Olly. Fade to black, credits roll.

OMG perfect! I really need to see Ghost/Jon take out Olly now!

Archived