(Book Spoilers) Positive Nitpicking thread...

sj4iy

He always gets his ass kicked. The Magnar was owning him, as was Karl Tanner. He just seems to get lucky, and find a way to win. Having a VS sword doesn't hurt either.

Karl spat blood to his eyes and mentioned that Jon will die because he cannot fight dirty. Karl Tanner deserved what was coming to him and paid the price of turing his back to the poor woman he raped/abused for so long. In the fight with Magnar, Jon spat blood to Magnar's eyes before he buried the hammer to his skull. That means Jon is constantly learning and improving himself. He went for the dragonglass as it was the only way to kill the fucker as far as he knew. That shows an enormous courage as Jon was planning to use a dagger against the giant fucker with a saber-staff. But when he lost the cache, he simply tried to run for his life and not get killed. He did not even think of using Longclaw fearing that it might be destroyed just the same. That final block by Longclaw was done unconsciously, for the reflex of survival. After the initial shock, Jon exploited the fear/doubt born in the eyes of the fucker and he easily swayed the desperate attack following and finished the fucker off.

Karl spat blood to his eyes and mentioned that Jon will die because he cannot fight dirty. Karl Tanner deserved what was coming to him and paid the price of turing his back to the poor woman he raped/abused for so long. In the fight with Magnar, Jon spat blood to Magnar's eyes before he buried the hammer to his skull. That means Jon is constantly learning and improving himself. He went for the dragonglass as it was the only way to kill the fucker as far as he knew. That shows an enormous courage as Jon was planning to use a dagger against the giant fucker with a saber-staff. But when he lost the cache, he simply tried to run for his life and not get killed. He did not even think of using Longclaw fearing that it might be destroyed just the same. That final block by Longclaw was done unconsciously, for the reflex of survival. After the initial shock, Jon exploited the fear/doubt born in the eyes of the fucker and he easily swayed the desperate attack following and finished the fucker off.

All true. I wasn't trying to have a go at Jon, just pointing out he's usually getting beaten on the show before he figures out a way to win.

All true. I wasn't trying to have a go at Jon, just pointing out he's usually getting beaten on the show before he figures out a way to win.

Agreed and that is because he faces stronger foes than himself. It would be totally unbelievable if he slew all those foes without having a scratch. And even then, every character deserves/gets some luck. The key thing is to be able to use that chance when fortunes smiles.

It takes at this point a bit more willingness to 'let go' of whether something is canonical or not, as things are diverging so fast as to become separate entities.

Tyrion/Jorah/Dany... was a well directed, visually sumptuous set pieces and costumery... loved the lighting. Though having a conversation alone over wine with a parricidal lannister dwarf with an ugly scar was perhaps premature and unlikely.

I didn't mind the Harryhausen zombies. That the wildlings were all dressed in GI Joe Arctic camo was a little strange... one would expect more folksy diversity considering the different tribes. I found the meeting between Jon and the wildlings convincing... well written and acted. I find the WW overlords somewhat generic in style however. Sometimes 'less is more'. They basically arn't very sinister or scary.

Also, on the rowboat... the cloaked figure with his back to the action, and the lack of actually rowing like batshit crazy to get away was extremely prominent in its absurdity. The eye contact between Jon and the alien samurai prince of darkness went on way too long. Overall these are small gripes on what was quite a ride.

It takes at this point a bit more willingness to 'let go' of whether something is canonical or not, as things are diverging so fast as to become separate entities.

Tyrion/Jorah/Dany... was a well directed, visually sumptuous set pieces and costumery... loved the lighting. Though having a conversation alone over wine with a parricidal lannister dwarf with an ugly scar was perhaps premature and unlikely.

I didn't mind the Harryhausen zombies. That the wildlings were all dressed in GI Joe Arctic camo was a little strange... one would expect more folksy diversity considering the different tribes. I found the meeting between Jon and the wildlings convincing... well written and acted. I find the WW overlords somewhat generic in style however. Sometimes 'less is more'. They basically arn't very sinister or scary.

Also, on the rowboat... the cloaked figure with his back to the action, and the lack of actually rowing like batshit crazy to get away was extremely prominent in its absurdity. The eye contact between Jon and the alien samurai prince of darkness went on way too long. Overall these are small gripes on what was quite a ride.

Please save the gripes, no matter how small, for the other threads. This is positive nitpicking only. I understand the want to discuss all aspects of this episode (I do it myself), but there are other threads that cover that.

Thanks!

This was such an amazing fucking episode!!

I loved Tyrion bring Dany down a notch. I love that someone as intellectually powerful regarding Westeros, its inhabitants, and its history is there to advice her. I loved Tyrion's suggestion that Dany find something else to desire than the IT. It seems to me that Dany's end game will be not to rule Westeros but to SAVE Westeros from impending doom.(likely a conclusion many book readers have come to but maybe not so much the Unsullied.) Surely dragons are the only upper hand humans will have against the NK.

I really liked Arya's development in Braavos. I liked seeing her smile at the people on the streets (even if it was No One smiling...it's just good to see Maise getting a chance to portray happiness for probably the first time since season 1).

Sansa and Theon = amazing.

And Hardhome. Geez what is there to say that's not already been said? It was all so perfect. Who ever said that Karsi looked like Tatiana Maslany...totally! And she also looked like the lady who played the doctor on TNT's Falling Skies!

Anyway, just a really wonderful episode. I can't wait for the next two!!

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Please save the gripes, no matter how small, for the other threads. This is positive nitpicking only. I understand the want to discuss all aspects of this episode (I do it myself), but there are other threads that cover that.

Sorry. It seems strange to refine ones thoughts of an episode into 'good' and 'bad' and applaud it in one thread and diss it in another. I love the forum and will try to comply.

edit: you are right, I just read it over and my complaints (though slight) are kind of forefront. Its just that the nitpick without reprecussion is full of people who just hate the show so I didn't feel it appropriate to post it there either as I love the show.

The end of the episode will rightly get most of the attention and praise but I thought this was a great episode up until the dogs started barking.

Aside from Ollie every scene was well written and acted. I haven't much liked the Sansa storyline this season, but thought Sophie Turner nailed it this episode. Tyrion and Dany was great. Cersei was awesome.

The end rivalled Blackwater as their best action sequence and the very end with them rowing away might perhaps be the best thing they have done the ENTIRE show.

After some of the dire nonsense we've had this season it was refreshing to finally get an episode which I loved every minute of!

Cersei - excellent, at least it's fairly true to the books in that she is being treated so badly by the sister who is watching over her. We all know where this is going. Plus it showed pretty well how she still thinks she has all the power and can make threats when she is all out of options.

Tyrion & Danny - I know it's not the same as what will happen in the books but I feels so good to get these two together onscreen finally. Danny desperately needs some good council and Tyrion is the best there is. Some very powerful dialogue there, I particularly liked Tyrion saying his story about the girl born during the worst storm etc etc. It shows that he does really feel some sense of awe at what he is witnessing.

Theon - Finally telling Sansa the truth, man that took long enough. Maybe now we can move this plot of a bit.

Hardhome - Holy Crap!!! That was probably one of the best 15 mins in any GOT episode ever in my opinion. The setting looks epic, the acting and characters brought together were brilliant and once it all went to hell it just went off the scale. Particular praise to Wun Wun stomping on zombies and then just wading out to sea without a care in the world. Plus Jon vs WW = epic battle.

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Sorry. It seems strange to refine ones thoughts of an episode into 'good' and 'bad' and applaud it in one thread and diss it in another. I love the forum and will try to comply.

edit: you are right, I just read it over and my complaints (though slight) are kind of forefront. Its just that the nitpick without reprecussion is full of people who just hate the show so I didn't feel it appropriate to post it there either as I love the show.

I understand that it's difficult to separate them when they are intertwined. But I would say this thread is more of a 'respite' than a discussion thread. So that people can talk about what they like without having to defend themselves.

The discussion threads are the best place to discuss all facets of the episode, or the ratings thread. But I appreciate everyone who posts to this thread, so this isn't meant as a rebuke :)

I loved that Thenn chieftain. He was a stubborn jackass at the beginning but when the dead came, he produced ENORMOUS BALLS. He fought with insane courage. He came to believe in the dragonglass of Jon and banded with him side by side against the fucker. Although we all "fucking hate" the show!Thenns, this man gained huge sympathy for them. Respect. :bowdown:

I loved that Thenn chieftain. He was a stubborn jackass at the beginning but when the dead came, he produced ENORMOUS BALLS. He fought with insane courage. He came to believe in the dragonglass of Jon and banded with him side by side against the fucker. Although we all "fucking hate" the show!Thenns, this man gained huge sympathy for them. Respect. :bowdown:

True. He had it when it counted. Even if he had not been such a bonehead during the talk, he probably would have died because he put himself in the thick of it. He was one who would not run to the boats, for sure, without fighting the good fight.

Just watched it again and I have great praise for the music. I LOVED that odd, pulsing sound when Jon was hurt in the shoulder and the 'growling' sort of noise when the Lt. WWalker showed up in the hut, the sounds when NotVal saw the wight children - and finally, the utter silence at the end. Really genius use of sound, music, and silence.

Just watched it again and I have great praise for the music. I LOVED that odd, pulsing sound when Jon was hurt in the shoulder and the 'growling' sort of noise when the Lt. WWalker showed up in the hut, the sounds when NotVal saw the wight children - and finally, the utter silence at the end. Really genius use of sound, music, and silence.

Oh yes, the sound was amazing in that scene. He was gasping for breath, and the sound was muted, with the ringing sound- you could feel the wind knocked out of you, just like Jon had the wind knocked out of him.

The silence was amazing. Of course, I'm sure I wasn't the only one to shatter that silence with whoops and high fives when Jon killed the White Walker XD

Archived