Selyse character reversal (SPOILERS)

I think the actress playing Selyse was pretty awesome.

On another note, Stannis is now starting to resemble Craster : men sacrificing their own children to (the) god(s) to gain supernatural advantage or protection.

In the books, Selyse is a hateful bitch who loathes Shireen. When she kisses her daughter, she avoids the cheek marked with greyscale. She disencourages Shireen all the time.

In the books loving her daughter is one, if the not the only redeeming quality of Selyse (she's a bitch and I adore her). People cite her not touching the cheek marked with greyscale as sign she doesn't love her daughter. Let's not forget said observation comes from Jon who say doesn't have mother issues leading him to project his own feelings. It's established in the books she is, if anything an over protective mother. In COTK we have her not happy with Stannis when he considers marrying Shireen to Robert Arryn. In ADWD her primary motivation to coming to CB and wanting to press onto the Nightfort is her concern that Shireen would not be safe at Eastwatch. Jon cautions Val to keep her opinions about Shireen and Greyscale (you know the part where Val thinks Shireen needs to be killed) if she doesn't want to end up toasted by Selyse. If I recall, the most "discouraging" thing she says to daughter is that she'd best not touch the giant.

I really think that it was motherly instincts finally piercing her craziness. Finally she realized it which is frightening considering that Stannis couldn't. And we would see Stannis as far more sane and compassionate toward Shireen that Selyse.

I think, twice in that scene of Shireens burning, do we see both parents realize their actions.

First, when Shireen calls out for her mother, and her eyes truly open to what's happening.

Second, when the screams become too much for Stannis, and he closes his eyes, turns away, and opens them, as if to realize the gravity of what he's done, and the potential doom he has created.

All in all, a very well directed, acted, and scripted scene.

Up until the episode aired I was convinced they made her a fetus collecting crazy person who hates her daughter because she would be the one to give Shireen up for burning. That would have actually made sense and justified the change in my eyes.

But then she ends up being the one who mourns Shireen death the most...WTF? Some of the changes they make man, I swear....I can't do anything anymore but shake my head and laugh at the senselessness of it :laugh:

So you missed the scene this season where Selyse gets really worried about Shireen talking to Gilly and warns her not to be so trusting?

I recall a scene where a cold and disdainful woman berates the daughter she regards as diseased for associating with a group of people the woman is prejudiced towards. It was a moment of disapproval; if it was intended as a moment of concern and warning, it was not handled appropriately IMO.

Hey if he can find a wife who can keep popping out kids there is no way he can lose. Seriously, its hard to see him lasting much longer. I can't see anyone of importance in Westeros backing him after him doing this, ecspecially with a fundamentilist movement seizing power in the capitol. I guess he might last til the end of next season but its hard to see even that happening at least in the TV show. Book Stannis is another matter.

lol.

Hey if he can find a wife who can keep popping out kids there is no way he can lose. Seriously, its hard to see him lasting much longer. I can't see anyone of importance in Westeros backing him after him doing this, ecspecially with a fundamentilist movement seizing power in the capitol. I guess he might last til the end of next season but its hard to see even that happening at least in the TV show. Book Stannis is another matter.

Frankly, I think that may be part of the problem. I am beginning to read Stannis as a guy horribly afflicted with impotence problems. Obviously the fact that he entered into an arranged marriage with someone he finds unattractive doesn't help. And, of course, being of the time, Selyse blames herself for this. Stannis thought he'd found a solution to the problem with the Red Woman, all that stuff about heat and flames, but birthing shadow babies actually made things worse in the long run rather than better. Now he's made a last desperate gamble... In the short term it may pay off, but in the long term, he's doomed...

Up until the episode aired I was convinced they made her a fetus collecting crazy person who hates her daughter because she would be the one to give Shireen up for burning. That would have actually made sense and justified the change in my eyes.

But then she ends up being the one who mourns Shireen death the most...WTF? Some of the changes they make man, I swear....I can't do anything anymore but shake my head and laugh at the senselessness of it :laugh:

Why was she keeping her dead fetus? Perhaps because there's some love there? And she was the one who gave up her daughter. She conspired with Mel to convince Stannis.

I recall a scene where a cold and disdainful woman berates the daughter she regards as diseased for associating with a group of people the woman is prejudiced towards. It was a moment of disapproval; if it was intended as a moment of concern and warning, it was not handled appropriately IMO.

That is a technique used in both the book and the show. Prejudice against the wildlings is used to make you doubt concerns which are in fact legitimate. Very clever on GRRM's part, he knows that most of his fans hate prejudice and has a character, Jon, who is actively looking for it so he can make us ignore warning's about Jon's actions all the way through ADWD. This works so well that many readers actually think giving Tormund control over most of the watch (who he wants dead) while Jon marches south with an army of wildlings (who want him dead for betraying them) is a great idea. D&D are copying GRRM's slight of hand.

Children question:

No. But I know that there are women who both despise becoming pregnant, and who very much don't want children, nor like the children they have very much (or at all). Selyse being introduced as such a character - a character who actually wept out of joy when he own brother was burned in season 4 - it makes no sense really that she would actually want to save Shireen (or care about her).

Writing stuff:

There are very few motivational or character flaws in the books George writes, especially not with his POV characters. In fact, this is what makes those books - that you can actually take his characters as real people (at least for the most part). I'd say that if George had the chance to actually finish the whole story before he published any of it - after all, it is one huge book and not multiple loosely interconnected, independent novels - we could reasonably assume that even those weak points would no longer be in there.

But if you want a class in erratic character development and bad dialogue D&D are your guys.

Do you know any women who have been subjected to watching their own child burn alive? If so please let me know how they reacted.

All i was saying is D&D make every mother character care for children.

Even if they made Selyse far colder with her daughter than book version, they couldn't resist making her switch to crying mother mode, like they couldn't resist making Cat show love for Jon, including some fanfictional Cersei-Robert baby she mourned, etc...

It's strange in a show showing so many rapes and murders, but they seem to think mothers not showing any maternal qualities would be over the top.

Cat never said she loved John in the show, she said she couldnt love jon, but felt bad that she couldnt and did her duty. If you remember otherwise you remember wrong. I just checked that very episode.

I think, twice in that scene of Shireens burning, do we see both parents realize their actions.

First, when Shireen calls out for her mother, and her eyes truly open to what's happening.

Second, when the screams become too much for Stannis, and he closes his eyes, turns away, and opens them, as if to realize the gravity of what he's done, and the potential doom he has created.

All in all, a very well directed, acted, and scripted scene.

Exactly what i saw as well. Both hated what they had done, as soon as it had been. Jsut because Stannis did it, it doesnt mean he was thrilled about it, quite plainly he wasnt.

Archived