(spoilers) In my opinion GoT is not ASOIAF. <Not a Rant>

Mr Hodor

Yeah, GoT just can't top a character that says "bitch" 30 times an episode. Also, the beetles monologue was to show that death doesn't always need to have meaning. And do you know what happens when you get aroused? Your heart beats faster. Which would intern spread the poison faster. You really didn't understand that part?

The beetles monologue was fucking stupid. Even Dinklage couldn't save it.

And lol, you do realise that Bronn's heart beat would already have quickened DURING THE BATTLE, right? You really don't understand that? :)

A show can still be well written despite being a bit over the top.

A lot of people said Better Call Saul would flop because Breaking Bad's success hinged so much on Cranston's performances. Turns out it's actually a very good spinoff because the talent of the writers is more important than the performance of one actor.

Now that's an example of a weak season finale. :P

Do like the show though.

The beetles monologue was fucking stupid. Even Dinklage couldn't save it.

And lol, you do realise that Bronn's heart beat would already have quickened DURING THE BATTLE, right? You really don't understand that?

She cut him near the end. And just like with Myrcella, he would have eventually succumb to it. Which is why she asks him in prison how he felt before trying to arouse him to speed up the process. Did you really think it was him being aroused and not an elevated heart rate that caused the poisons affects to come on faster? Honestly, it sounds to me that it's more about poor comprehension on your part than bad writing.

She cut him near the end. And just like with Myrcella, he would have eventually succumb to it. Which is why she asks him in prison how he felt before trying to arouse him to speed up the process. Did you really think it was him being aroused and not an elevated heart rate that caused the poisons affects to come on faster? Honestly, it sounds to me that it's more about poor comprehension on your part than bad writing.

Of course it was about the heart rate, ffs. But it was still ridiculous because his heart rate would already have increased at various points during the battle, his capture, and his imprisonment. I don't care if "she cut him near the end" - his heart rate would still be fast and thus the poison should have affected him. Do you not understand how adrenaline works?? :)

They wanted to introduce Chekhov's poison and show some boobs, so they invented a reason for it. And the reason was stupid.

I agree with the OP that the books and the show are different. Of course they're different. One of the hallmarks of the books is the different and unreliable points of views that the chapters are written in. That's not going to work very well on television. The warging is also something that's great when written, but how do you visually convey that a person has entered an animal's body? How could we possibly see it from the outside? The show does a decent job with this construct, but it's no mystery why this element has been downplayed on TV.

It's wild that the books are so popular that the TV series was begun before the books are finished. I love the books, but I didn't start reading them until after the first TV season. I wouldn't even have known about ASOIAF without HBO.

The showrunners have peeled away so many layers of intrigue to tell the story, that they are basically telling it in its most simple form. What we see on HBO is "A Song of Ice & Fire for Dummies". THey add and delete things for shock value and entertainment only, not to add a layer to the story.

The KL part is the best thing of the show but that's not the same as saying it's good. At least they kinda showed some consistence about Cersei. And Joffrey was a highlight last season.

The problem when you do adaptations is that people is always going to compare. That's inevitable. So, you either stick to the original source or you get sure you deviate well enough to come up with a much better improved version so people won't get mad at it and the show can stand on its own. None of these have happened.

The "political intrigue" is not done well at all, lol. You should try branching out and watching other TV shows that focus on politics.

Any TV show and there will be some people acting out of character and in general stupid in varying degrees

No need to be rude and putting things in quotes to show you are somehow your opinion is superior

I read somewhere that both the show and book are going to the same destination, but taking different roads. Forgot where did I read this, though.

Kinda like the book is taking the old road while the show is taking the highway perhaps? :lol:

repost if you find the source for this.

The most reasonable way to look at any adaptation is a retelling of the same tale. Think of the oral tradition of stories, they get passed on from person to person. One person might add some things, one might leave things out, but the basic core is the same. It's a variation on the same mythos. There is nothing wrong with that.

The way I see it, I have the books. Those will always be there for me. I'm getting that's story. This is another way for me to enjoy that same story.

I don't know. Maybe being a comic book fan and spending years of seeing all my favorite characters portrayed in different reflections of teh source material has just prepared me to separate the source material and the adaptation. It never comes out exactly the same, no matter how hard they try. At some point people just have to be true to what they think works best for their version.

repost if you find the source for this.

Fortunately it wasn't hard to find. :)

“Luckily, we’ve been talking about this with George for a long time, ever since we saw this could happen, and we know where things are heading. And so we’ll eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we’re heading toward the same destination. I kind of wish that there were some things we didn’t have to spoil, but we’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on.... And that’s what we’re going to do.” - David Benioff

You can see the full article (together with the video) here. It's from Vanity Fair.

I understand the frustration that comes with the differences btw GoT and ASOIAF. However, they are and have been entirely different versions of each other for some time. We (book readers) knew this season was going to be a challenging one. Going into each hour of the series expecting the same story from thousands of pages of book material isn't realistic.

Many of the changes in the show have been unsettling, but it is what it is. The night remains dark and full of terrors

Personally I think that there is a very small subset of fans that for whatever reason just have this thing about LS, and view her as an absolutely crucial element to the show. Personally I think her and all the resurrection stuff is the worst part of GOT, and I have read that even GRRM has regretted the LS character and those elements.

In terms of magic, I think it is about as prevalent as in the books, sort of always lurking in the background. I would have liked to see Coldhands as I thought it showed that the White Walkers had the ability to reason and make decisions and maybe not all were purely evil. I was surprised they cut him and the opening of the wall as it would have been inexpensive and had good impact.

I think that both the show and the books are excellent in their own way. The books do some things better, and the show does quite a few things better as well. Some the economy of the show really works, and some of the characters are actually more complex. Interestingly, the dialogue is better in the books than the show, and too many great pieces of dialogue were left out.

I think the show has slipped a bit, but then again the source material slipped quite a bit as well. I know they have their fans, but books 4 and 5 were bloated and completely inconsequential with entire long plotlines that just go nowhere. Books 4 and 5 could have easily been 1 book as originally planned and shorter than either single book as well.

I was always watching GoT as a book reader. Thus, I expected to see what I read and it was quite disturbing at the beginning of this season. It took me a couple of episodes to adjust to this new version and I started watching it as a show, which shares some commonalities with the book, but is different. At that point the show was much more enjoyable. On this forum there are obviously many hardcore fans, who remember each detail of the books - I'm glad that I know the main story, because since ADwD I've read about 15 other books. So when watching the show I'm not even sure if I'm seeing something that is entirely different from the show (speaking of details).

And yes, as already mentioned I'm not a big fan of the last two books. There could have been more progress and now GRRM wants to finish everything in two more? I expect to see a change in the writing - probably some plots end rather quickly. We will see.

This season was a very good one - especially the last 3-4 episodes were "fun" to watch (for me). :)

i dont care if the books and show are different

what bothers me is how terrible the writing and storyline was this season

lots of forced shock value and cheesy moments to appeal to a more casual fanbase like the walking dead gets

the only storylines that were done well this season in my opinion was Arya's, Sam's, Jon's until episode 9, and Cerei's.

my dad doesn't even read the books and he said that the end of this season felt super cheesy and out of style of the other seasons

Archived