The Final Nail In The Coffin For The Nights Watch

Last Nights episode clearly shows us that the wall will be overcome by the white walkers and the army of the dead. This group of Nights Watch members are the dumbest on the entire planet in the world of Westeros.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around this action that these guys took. Were they not told of the events in HardHome?? I am not understanding the reasoning for them to kill Jon Snow.

Samwell Tarly did the right thing at the right time when he asked Jon if he could go to the Citadel in Old Town to study for being a Maester. He must have had some kind of sixth sense.

In season 1 Aemon Targaryen told Tyrion that this group of Nights Watch was no good. That they needed better type of men to man the wall. But, I guess when all of the seven kingdoms have been sending them men that are rapists and murderers, you can only work with what you have.

In my opinion I believe this will be the end of the Nights Watch as we know it.

Also, where was Ghost? He was there for Samwell Tarly when he tried to protect Gilly from being raped but did not show up when Jon's fellow nights watchmen turned on him.

I am just venting.

Anyway, as I said I don't think the nights watch from this day forward will be able to protect the realm from the White Walkers. If a flawed Alliser Thorne takes over and encounters the White Walkers, what will he do? He all but poo-pooed the idea that there were giants in the wildling camps and when the war on the wall occurred last season, he was shocked.

Alliser Thorne is too closed-minded as well as the lot who sided with him in stabbing Jon Snow.

And I am hoping somebody PLEASE KILL Ollie SLOWLY. I don't want him turning into a zombie. I want that young man to die slowly kind of like how Sir Meryn Trent died at the hands of Arya.

I am dying to hear your take on this.

Because they see Jon's allegiance to the Wildlings as a threat, and as a betrayal; they're so blinded by their intolerance that they can't see the more immediate (and infinitely more serious) threat of the White Walkers. As for Ghost, who can say? Castle Black isn't tiny, he could have been anywhere, he could have been asleep, or Alliser (or anyone else) could have killed Ghost like the Freys did to Grey Wind.

As far as Sam, the reason they waited is because Sam or Gilly could have overheard their plans (possibly, given the conspiratorial nature of all this); that, or it's just a coincidence that they did it after he'd left.

Ser Alliser doesn't see the White Walkers as a threat because he hasn't seen what Jon saw, and part of me thinks that he doesn't even believe (or want to believe) what Jon said he saw at Hardhome.

i just dont understand what was holding them back from killing jon earlier

like wouldnt of been smarter to kill him before he led the suicide mission to hard home?

dont tell me they were waiting for sam to leave, like he'd be able to stop him

also wheres ghost? he can show up to save sam but not jon?

Yeah, I think we've seen Ghost just the 1 time this season haven't we? Where was he in FTW, absolutely no sign of him?

i just dont understand what was holding them back from killing jon earlier

like wouldnt of been smarter to kill him before he led the suicide mission to hard home?

dont tell me they were waiting for sam to leave, like he'd be able to stop him

also wheres ghost? he can show up to save sam but not jon?

Yeah, I think we've seen Ghost just the 1 time this season haven't we? Why so little, unless I've forgotten something, we haven't seen him with Jon once all season.

As far as I am concerned, the Nights Watch consists of Jon, Sam and Benjen at this point. The rest are mutineers and oathbreakers.

One thought I really don't like is that Jon stays dead and Benjen returns to take his place. That is certainly a possibility. But without Jon's resurrection, why does his parentage mean ddidly? At this point the origin of the war of five kings is irrelevant. With Jon dead, all reveal can do is to explain the causes of Robert's rebellion.

I really don't want to see Mel do the resurrection though except as a blood sacrifice. Witch blood works better than king's blood. Unfortunately there is a pesky prediction Arya sees Mel again which I take to mean Mel is one of Arya's kills. So it looks like that isn't on the cards unless Arya wargs into Ghost to see Mel die.

Sam can become a maester and do research for the fight against the WW but it is pretty clear that he isn't going to answer any messages from Ser Alliser. Sam is in his home country in any case and nobody can really argue against the only living man to have killed a White Walker.

The only thing that can save the NW now is Benjen's return.

"Olly, you fuckin' traitor! I hope the White Walkers take you all to Sovngarde!"

Jon Snow's last silent words.

GG, Night's Watch. You just killed your Azor Ahai. Honestly don't care for the Watch now. I just hope Edd and Davos don't meet the same fate.

I also think that the Nights Watch just signed its death sentence. During the season we will see intra fighting and the massacre of wildlings. Maybe, just maybe, the season will end with the walkers crossing an unprotected Wall.

The nightwatch has no strength for fighting the Wildlings, and the Boltons surely don't care to fight them right now... Roose Bolton policy is to wait for spring.

The season will end with the white walkers butchering the brothers of the night watch, and they will all realize that they did a mistake when Azor Ahai shows up with the Wildlings at his back, davos at his side and Melisandre's head on a flaming spike sword

Honestly, my expectations for the FTW scene were pretty low but I never expected this. They didn't even bother including the letter! And why introduce Wun Wun and then leave him out of FTW completely? Plus they ruined Alliser's character arc, his redemption was actually sort of cool in the show. Also, why the hell would Jon believe Olly so easily and leave Longclaw behind? He told Sam that everyone in CB hated him, he shouldn't go anywhere without Longclaw at his side (and Ghost, ffs where was he?). Really, there are so many ways this scene could've been 100 times better. Here's how I would've done it:

The build-up

- We see Jon talking to Tormund, showing us that the Wildlings are hanging around Castle Black. Jon is giving Wun Wun the task of guarding their food stores out of fear that people might try to break in now that the rations are so much smaller.

- Jon sends Sam to Oldtown.

- Ghost becomes mad and attacks a man of the NW. Jon locks him up after Allister complains (this would be another red herring for Allister).

- Possibly some shots of conflicts between the NW and Wildlings. Tension is rising, maybe some heated arguments or a fight. Jon would obviously be involved in trying to make peace with both parties but this will backfire (like a beated up NW man shouting in his face that he should've never let them in).

Battle for Winterfell

Instead of killing Stannis, leave the entire outcome of the battle as a cliffhanger. So basically end with a shot of lots of bodies and perhaps a Bolton flag burning. Also Stannis should've been fighting on ice with Bolton cavalry falling through the holes and drowning.

The letter

- Cuts back to CB. Jon receives a letter, stating that Stannis is dead etc. Jon decides to save Sansa and liberate the North to better prepare for the White Walker attack.

- Jon makes a speech to his men stating his intention to ride out. He emphasises the fact that they saw the true threat of the WW at Hardhome and that they have no other choice.

FTW

- Wun Wun is attacked by a random NW man trying to get food (it would be better if he was guarding Val, but she was killed in E8. Or he could've been guarding Melisandre but then she should've returned to the Wall sooner). Jon rushes out to see what the commotion is all about.

- Marsh draws a dagger on Jon. Jon disarms him, tries to grab Longclaw but he's unable to do so.

- Olly stabs Jon in the back. Jon falls to his knees.

- Alliser Thorne enters the scene, screaming that they should stop / are insane. He tries to protect Jon but ultimately fails (he could be disarmed, knocked out, etc.). In the background Wun Wun is surrounded by a few men of the NW who are trying to keep him at bay.

- Two other men of the NW stab Jon (2nd and 3rd stab).

- Jon falls on the ground. Wun Wun kills one of the mutineers by throwing him against a wall but is injured in the process.

Aftermath

In my opinion, showing us some sort of aftermath would be a much better cliffhanger and season ending than what we have now. If you want to draw in viewers / keep them attached to the show, you must give them some hope and this is clearly lacking from the show right now. Jon's death, if properly done, could be tragic but giving a big hint to his fate would make people a lot more curious about season 6 in my opinion. Now a lot of people are just assuming that he's dead and might give up on the show if they don't want to root for Tyrion/Dany (who are, arguably, the only characters left to root for).

- Give us a short glimpse of Jon's eyes becoming white. Then cut to black. Ghost growls. Credits roll.

That's all it would take. From a marketing perspective it would be a much better idea imho. Even the many book readers who dislike the show might give S6 a chance.

Had to log into this long forgotten account just to share what I hope happens to Olly. Rather than somebody killing him slowly I hope he gets to feel an asshole about himself instead. Let's say a wildling saves his sorry little ass when the Wall gets overrun. In reality though I don't believe anyone will survive that unless they pull their shit together somehow. The way it's looking right now, pretty sure Nights Watch is over with.

Also, damn good timing Sam.

And the thing is, we could have had a Pink Letter.

If they moved the Battle for Winterfell and Sansa's escape to the very beginning of the episode, and added a quick aftermath scene with Sansa and Theon deciding to go to the Wall, we could have:

"Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days seconds of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.
Sansa and I were having so much fun together, but she must have missed her dear brother. I want my bride back. I want the false king's red witch. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard's heart and eat it.
Ramsay Bolton, Trueborn Lord of Winterfell."
Much shorter and less impactful, but still better than "Yo Jon look at that piece of wood over there and disregard the daggers we guys are holding".

And we wonder why the rest of the realm don't take the NW seriously. When the group of men charged with the wall's defence don't know what and who they are fighting why should anyone else who are thousands of miles believe them. Obviously the NW brothers whoever is remaining that still believes in WW might fight the mutineers or run south of the wall into the wildlings camp. Jon always comes back, but he might be changed, he might not be the same honourable man anymore, the man with an uncorrupted soul, he won't be evil or anything but maybe more ruthless. I just worry about Mel's influence I don't think there is a red god and she is an idiot, will she be advising Jon to start sacrificing men to save the NW from WW, god I hope not we don't need another Stannis 2.0 We have already seen the consequences of blind religious fanaticism. I hope Jon is not stupid enough to fall in Mel's trap and doesn't repeats Stannis mistakes again.

Archived