Which Theory Would You Be Most Satistfied To Learn To Be False?

R+L=J

Just because people are incredibly cocky.

:agree:

Whenever you try to suggest anything going ever so slightly against the perfect fairy tale that so many people have imagined, they get cocky, and sometimes obnoxious. I used to like RLJ, but now I'm starting to think about how satisfying it would be to see it proven wrong.

I never understood the Jon stealing Drogon idea, but I am not sure it is a theory.

Otherwise - Jon and Dany wedding; the recent Jon is Aegon; also recent, Ramsay is AA; basically anything that has to do with hidden Targs.

Yeah, Dany's "Last Targ" status is always under attack and it is so annoying. Her whole drive to reconquer Westeros isn't just to be Queen herself, but to reinstate the dynasty of her forefathers. Although I personally don't find either motive to really be justified - knowing what we know from other POVs - but as the last Targ she had to decide, "Do I let the Targ name come to an end here in Essos or do I seek to bring glory/vengeance/fight to reinstate our dynasty?" If there were other Targs they should have shared that burden and the ultimate consequences (death or glory). She bled for the "glory of House Targ," what have Jon or Tyrion done?

Also Jon/Dany makes me want to puke. It conveniently sets up a way for Jon to claim the IT without rejecting Dany's claim/killing her. It's too convenient and just gross on so many levels.

That Jon dies and is resurrected. I want him to just be almost dead and get better. I think if Jon is resurrected the rest of his story will be too sad. :crying:

:agree: This so much this. After GoT portrayal of the scene, it does seem like they might go full out resurrection, but I still don't want it...

Aegon's a Blackfyre. The amount of mental gymnastics you have to make to come to that conclusion makes it unfathomable to me that the theory has gained so much traction among the community.

:agree: I do think we're supposed to be a bit dubious of Aegon. But Aegon Blackfyre, really? Like you say, it requires some suspension of disbelief. The idea that Varys is a secret Blackfyre (who Aerys just coincidently brought to KL), and that Varys by chance has a sister Serra (who he never mentioned or alluded to before) who was working in a brothel that Illyrio chanced upon, and that Serra and Illyrio (who are both blondes) could have a son that passes for the child of silver haired Rhaegar and brunette Elia seems absurd (especially when hair color passed as a paternity test in aGoT) just seems far fetched. If those three factors are debunked, the theory falls apart for me.

That said, it is overall a great theory (like R+L=J or A+J=T), but I would be satisfied to see Aegon Blackfyre debunked in the canon.

I'd add Mance (or Melissandre/Allister/Alex Florent/Asha/whoever) wrote the Pink Letter.

Would make Jon's story look even worse if he was killed because some buffoon made such a joke.

I'd be happy with "Ramsay wrote it but content isn't entirely true" (he was misleaded or is lying on some things) on the other hand.

:agree: Oh the truth of this statement. We already know that Arya is fake, so he's agonizing over the wrong girl. But for the letter itself to be fake, that is just really cold, even for GRRM.

:agree: I do think we're supposed to be a bit dubious of Aegon. But Aegon Blackfyre, really? Like you say, it requires some suspension of disbelief. The idea that Varys is a secret Blackfyre (who Aerys just coincidently brought to KL), and that Varys by chance has a sister Serra (who he never mentioned or alluded to before) who was working in a brothel that Illyrio chanced upon, and that Serra and Illyrio (who are both blondes) could have a son that passes for the child of silver haired Rhaegar and brunette Elia seems absurd (especially when hair color passed as a paternity test in aGoT) just seems far fetched. If those three factors are debunked, the theory falls apart for me.

The basic idea is not all that convoluted. As you say, we are supposed to be dubious of Aegon's identity. From there it is a matter of piecing together who he is. The Golden Company, a sellsword company formed by one of the chief instigators of the first Blackfyre Rebellion, for the very purpose of seating a Blackfyre on the Throne, are his primary supporters. This is enough for me to at least give a strong clue he is a Blackfyre. I'm not too invested in the various Varys/Illyrio/Serra as Blackfyres or Brightflames though, some of that seems quite out there.

I'm also not opposed to Aegon being random Valyrian looking boy though.

The basic idea is not all that convoluted. As you say, we are supposed to be dubious of Aegon's identity. From there it is a matter of piecing together who he is. The Golden Company, a sellsword company formed by one of the chief instigators of the first Blackfyre Rebellion, for the very purpose of seating a Blackfyre on the Throne, are his primary supporters. This is enough for me to at least give a strong clue he is a Blackfyre. I'm not too invested in the various Varys/Illyrio/Serra as Blackfyres or Brightflames though, some of that seems quite out there.

I'm also not opposed to Aegon being random Valyrian looking boy though.

The pieces seem to fit together but there are holes. The clues seem a bit too obvious. It's like GRRM put a flashing neon sign on the kid that says phony. I think Aegon is a red herring for someone else.

Varys descending from Brightflame actually makes perfect sense.

The pieces seem to fit together but there are holes. The clues seem a bit too obvious. It's like GRRM put a flashing neon sign on the kid that says phony. I think Aegon is a red herring for someone else.

Varys descending from Brightflame actually makes perfect sense.

Aegon not being fake but a "Leia" to Jon's Luke would be a much more satisfying twist. There is a thread here on that.

Ashara faked her death to raise him in that theory.

I believe l+r=j, but I'd be very happy if that were not the case. The solution I'd love most wouldn't be "secret Targ," or "secret kid of nobility." I'd like Ned to have spawned Jon with a smart, stable, strong minded fishwife, who tragically died in childbirth. Ned brought him North and raised him well. Yay for Ned.

God I don't Cleganebowl to happen. It is the most stupid thing that GRRM could possibly write and would serve no purpose other than pandering to the fans of the theory.

On a related note, I'm so tired of characters coming back to life. The Hound is dead. there is no explicable reason for him to still be alive. His death furthered Arya's storyline and character development, he needs to stay dead.

Anwyway OP I just wanted to say that you should not dismiss theories because you think some just want them to happen. People (generally) do not believe R+L= J or A+J=T because they want Jon and Tyrion to become dragonriders but because it makes sense to them. I know poeple who dislike both theories but still believe them. I originally really disliked A+J= but I still was convinced by the evidence. It was only later I became to think it would be interesting and now I like it. And there are more people who want to believe A+J=T is not true because it would ruin the relationship between Tyrion and Tywin than there are people who want it to happen so Tyrion could be a dragonrider.

Hmm. Yeah I would not dismiss theories simply because some people want them to happen. I just think that (wanting theories to be true) accounts for some of their popularity, rather than being popular based solely on evidence. I'm sure SOME of their popularity is due to people believing in the evidence, but I think wishful thinking plays a factor as well.

I agree people have a variety of motives for believing in one theory or another.

Aegon not being fake but a "Leia" to Jon's Luke would be a much more satisfying twist. There is a thread here on that.

Ashara faked her death to raise him in that theory.

Yes, this is the theory I would be most satisfied to learn was true. It's not super over-hyped in the fandom (so I'm not tired of hearing about it) and (if it gets well developed in the series) it is as possible as many others at this point.

God I don't Cleganebowl to happen. It is the most stupid thing that GRRM could possibly write and would serve no purpose other than pandering to the fans of the theory.

On a related note, I'm so tired of characters coming back to life. The Hound is dead. there is no explicable reason for him to still be alive. His death furthered Arya's storyline and character development, he needs to stay dead.

Be sure to come back to this thread and post when Cleganebowl happens, or even if you just reread some AFFC Brienne.

You folks surely don't like R+L=J...

Well, I don't like the Tyrion Targaryen theory, even though there is a good chance that this theory is true.

Many "X are actually Y" just don't have sense to me, like Euron/Daario (I always thought it was just a joke, not a real theory), HR/HS, etc.

I truly hate Theon Durden and Cleganebowl.

Guys, what is "lemongate"? Is it something about Sansa?

Oh, jeeze! Is "Theon Durden" a theory that Theon and Ramsay are actually the same guy? If so, that is beyond awful. Worse than Eurio.

No it's that the Hooded Man of WF is really just a figment of Theon's mind. The one you propose would be hilariously bad :P

He's a necromaester! :P

Lol. He is a doctor of post-mortem communications and its applied uses. :cool4:

That being said, The Hound=alive proven incorrect. While I like Hound if he is still alive and at the Quiet Isle, I want him to stay there. While he has valid reasons to hate his brother, he has allowed that hatred to morph him. Plus for all the evil that he has done, I don't think he should get reward by giving him what he has always wanted, the chance to kill his brother.

I want lemongate to be settled because it has gotten out of hand. I also want R+L=J to be settled because for me the idea of them running off because they were in love is so selfish and dissatisfying. There is nothing sweet about causing the deaths of thousands. And I think if Jon knew then he would be extremely disappointed in himself not Ned. A+j=T for resolution purposes.

Euron=Daario makes no sense to me. BR+SS=M which I really don't know how.

A+J=C&J

Oh Syrio=Alive. Just no, I liked him but no.

While I can see R+L= J&A or R+L= J&D, only because both the Starks and the Targaryens have produced twins, I would be dissatisfied because it is a trope.

Archived