LGBTQI - We're here, we're...you know the rest of it

karaddin

So the school I work at (actually, our sister school in the same building) has just made national news for having the first LGBT history course offered by a public school. Unfortunately I made the mistake of reading the comments. The school has 30% of students identifying as LGBT so it's an appropriate elective to offer but I feel bad for any students who make the same mistake I just did.

30%, really? That seems vastly higher than the proportion of LGBT people in the population in general - why are there so many LGBT students at this particular school, do you think?

It's an art magnet school that has a reputation for being safe, which probably has a lot to do with it. The school I work at also has a higher than average LGBT student population (at least according to the most recent survey) for the same reason.

*hugs* and <3 L

That one was a hard conversation to have, but I think one you really needed to have given how much work was weighing on you. Remember we're here.

Thanks Robin. I'm not great at hugs either, tbh.

ETA: it looks like the free mental health services through my job are actually kind of awesome; no information shared with my insurance company for 24-hour a day phone counseling and then 3 free in-person sessions. Feeling a little less anxious about outcomes, at least vis-a-vis work.

Archived