Hugos V: E Paucibus Drama

felice

It's funny, and honest, satire:

"Kneeling, he peered through the rifle’s scope and surveyed the land all around him, carefully scouting as he reconnoitered."

After he stood up! Oh man, I know what she means. I've had to tilt my head and squint while reading some online reviews because it was obvious some "critics" had no flipping clue of what they were talking about. A well-written and thoughtful review is a rare gem these days.

I don't care for EPH. It denies one member one vote.

No, it denies one member five votes. Everyone has the same chance of getting one of their nominations selected as a finalist; it's only the second and subsequent finalists that are affected by weighting.

Is there any particular reason you don't care for it? Do you think it's a good thing for a small plurality to be able to dominate entire categories as they did this year? Under EPH, the most popular Doctor Who episode would still be effectively guaranteed a spot on the ballot (and maybe the second most popular as well). Isn't it better to have a range of different works to compare the best Doctor Who against? In 2013, less than 16% of people who submitted ballots in Short Form nominated the most popular DW episode (Asylum of the Daleks); it seems likely that there was a lot of overlap with the other two DW finalists. People who nominated DW episodes probably made up 20% or so of the nominators; why should they have gotten three finalist slots at the expense of the other 80% of nominators?

Witness this, blood bags!  The livestream of the Hugo Ragnarok tonight!  8:00 PST / 11:00 EST.  Who do we welcome into Walhalla??  Who is not mediocre?

Drinking game:  every time a Sad Puppy / Rabid Puppy wins, you have to puke in your mouth a little, or a lot!  Wash it down with alcohol or mother's milk.

Witness this, blood bags!  The livestream of the Hugo Ragnarok tonight!  8:00 PST / 11:00 EST.  Who do we welcome into Walhalla??  Who is not mediocre?

Drinking game:  every time a Sad Puppy / Rabid Puppy wins, you have to puke in your mouth a little, or a lot!  Wash it down with alcohol or mother's milk.

Thanks for the live stream.... I am watching it now. 

The Puppies have taken over the chat, and with so many votes this year, may have just taken the awards... Damn... This is offensive.

In other news congratulations to Julian May for a lifetime achievement award. I grew up reading her work.

I don't remember Hugo Awards ceremonies being this fun.  I've only attended in '94, '96, and 2003.

John W. Campbell award: Non-puppy.

Could tell that from the crowd's response.  Didn't GRRM say the Campbell would be one of the early bellweathers?

Archived