Make 10 Predictions for Season 6

Monoman32

1 - Littlefinger takes on Stannis leftovers
2 - Littlefinger + Vale defeat the Boltons
3 - Umber turns up with Rickon
4 - Euron takes on some of Young Griff's story
5 - Sansa and Theon will be recaptured by Ramsay
6 - Dany will be in danger, threatened to be raped
7 - Dany will be saved by someone (Either the Super Daario Brothers or Drogon)
8 - Everyone and their dog will praise St Tyrion
9 - Cersei will send Jaime away because Myrcella
10 - Someone will kill Olly

Ok, the last one is only wishful thinking.

First post here. I like this topic

1. Free folks take over CB after hearing Jon was killed.
2. Cersi and Margery go after and destroy the faith (together) house tyrell plus city watch against the army of the faith
3. jaime kills kevan lannister (takes control of the westlands) and declares war against dorne
4. Sansa and theon unite the north and iron islands against the boltons
5. LF sits back and plots his next move after seeing this unfold
6. Jon won't come back this season
7. Dany has the dhothracki join her army
8. Bran learns everything about the past regarding house stark
9. White walkers try to march on the wall but benjan returns to show the free folk how to fight them
10. the stormlands has a new lord (yet to be seen on the show)

For future reference, please ignore my spelling. Autocorrect on my iPad doesn't understand GOT lol

Is it arrogance to deal with objective facts? A lot of things regarding the quality of fiction (and game of thrones specifically) are super subjective. But when it comes to outright plot holes we're no longer dealing in opinions. In that respect at least we can hold the show up to an objective metric and at this point every episode has loads of plot holes big and small. There's no debating that the logistics of Stannis' army and his downfall make no sense. No arguing that it is illogical for Jon to leave Hardhome by boat and arrive back at the Wall by land on the north side. For example. If you're still able to enjoy the show despite all that good for you. But don't try to deny the show's flaws. 

I completely agree here. The show is fine and succeeds in serving entertainment on a very basic level. After a hard working day, I am definitely not in the mood for more “thinking”. Thus, on such an evening I really enjoy trivial and banal TV and so in this particular moment I love to watch simple-minded action films, etc. (This has something to do with taste and is a completely subjective view.)

However, GOT has once been not just entertaining but rather “high” quality TV, but unfortunately the show lost this “quality” status. Already the fourth season dropped in quality. The fifth was simply a disaster (due to all the things protar mentioned). It is still entertaining, but clearly lacks consistency. And internal consistency is an objective feature which can be methodologically evaluated. I am not an expert on such fields, however, I am sure there are certain criteria which could be evaluated (Some of my fellow students wrote/are writing research paper on things like that, I visited an colloquium in which many of them dealt with stuff like that…There were also few who were writing on adoptions ;) )

Moreover, I want to add that many people on this board may overlook plotholes since they know how things play out due to the books. But there are many people watching the show that haven’t read the books (actually most of friends). I can divide them roughly into two groups:

The first group consists of casual watchers, they just watch the show, continuously mix up characters  and every time they are confused by certain plots/characters or whatever, they really do not care and don’t mind.

The second group differs and consists of “invested” people. They know all the names, places, characters and stuff and even brother about mysteries (JS parentage), develop their own theories and other stuff. They are attentive watchers. What now is interesting is the fact that every person out of this group at least once asked me to explain things for them, because they weren’t able to follow the plot anymore. They can remember what happened the last 4 seasons and so they were able to see lacks/inconsistencies in characterization, plot, etc.

EDIT: Just imagine any picture drawn by an artist. Of course, here everybody has got his or her own taste and thus some will claim that they don’t like the picture and others will say that it is stunning. This is personal taste. However, there can also be objective criteria, namely when focusing on technical things. Thus, it the artist able to properly depict the three-dimensionality of the room? Does he or she succeeds in using the golden section? Is the usage with the brush good or not (are there any runny colours that should be avoided?). Of course, there may be painting which make use of running colours, but the difference is they do it on purpose. Same with films, books and other stuff. There may be movies full of non-sense and plot holes, but this is on purpose (viz. a parody, satire)

I completely agree here. The show is fine and succeeds in serving entertainment on a very basic level. After a hard working day, I am definitely not in the mood for more “thinking”. Thus, on such an evening I really enjoy trivial and banal TV and so in this particular moment I love to watch simple-minded action films, etc. (This has something to do with taste and is a completely subjective view.)

However, GOT has once been not just entertaining but rather “high” quality TV, but unfortunately the show lost this “quality” status. Already the fourth season dropped in quality. The fifth was simply a disaster (due to all the things protar mentioned). It is still entertaining, but clearly lacks consistency. And internal consistency is an objective feature which can be methodologically evaluated. I am not an expert on such fields, however, I am sure there are certain criteria which could be evaluated (Some of my fellow students wrote/are writing research paper on things like that, I visited an colloquium in which many of them dealt with stuff like that…There were also few who were writing on adoptions ;) )

Moreover, I want to add that many people on this board may overlook plotholes since they know how things play out due to the books. But there are many people watching the show that haven’t read the books (actually most of friends). I can divide them roughly into two groups:

The first group consists of casual watchers, they just watch the show, continuously mix up characters  and every time they are confused by certain plots/characters or whatever, they really do not care and don’t mind.

The second group differs and consists of “invested” people. They know all the names, places, characters and stuff and even brother about mysteries (JS parentage), develop their own theories and other stuff. They are attentive watchers. What now is interesting is the fact that every person out of this group at least once asked me to explain things for them, because they weren’t able to follow the plot anymore. They can remember what happened the last 4 seasons and so they were able to see lacks/inconsistencies in characterization, plot, etc.

Which parts of the plot didn't they understand if you dont mind me asking? I've had unsullied people ask me about the plot cos they didn't understand it within every single season so far.

Which parts of the plot didn't they understand if you dont mind me asking? I've had unsullied people ask me about the plot cos they didn't understand it within every single season so far.

They had problems to understand the motivation behind Stannis’ burning of Shireen. They had problems in understanding and decoding Dany’s wheel speech. They had problems while watching the Unsullied suddenly fight ineffectively. They had problems in understanding the function of certain roles like Myranda (they asked me if she will be important one day, or a certain catalyst for Ramsey’s “plan” or in Ramsey’s plan). They did not understand LF’s and Sansa’s decision to leave the Vale and go to Winterfell without delaying it and waiting for the siege of either Stannis or Lord Bolton. Moreover, they thought that Sansa must have know the cruel nature of all Boltons (Red Wedding ahoi!) and didn’t even get why she even went there. For them, the conclusion must simply be that Sansa is not the brightest star in the sky.

Just to name a few out of my head and I unfortunaley  cannot remember everything

EDIT: and they did not understand why Jon did not excuse his refusal of the Winterfell heritage by telling Stannis that his brothers are alive and fine.

They had problems to understand the motivation behind Stannis’ burning of Shireen. They had problems in understanding and decoding Dany’s wheel speech. They had problems while watching the Unsullied suddenly fight ineffectively. They had problems in understanding the function of certain roles like Myranda (they asked me if she will be important one day, or a certain catalyst for Ramsey’s “plan” or in Ramsey’s plan). They did not understand LF’s and Sansa’s decision to leave the Vale and go to Winterfell without delaying it and waiting for the siege of either Stannis or Lord Bolton. Moreover, they thought that Sansa must have know the cruel nature of all Boltons (Red Wedding ahoi!) and didn’t even get why she even went there. For them, the conclusion must simply be that Sansa is not the brightest star in the sky.

Just to name a few out of my head and I unfortunaley  cannot remember everything

EDIT: and they did not understand why Jon did not excuse his refusal of the Winterfell heritage by telling Stannis that his brothers are alive and fine.

Really I think at least most of those issues are simply questions that people might have, and possibly them not paying attention. I'm not sure those are really to do with weaknesses of the show particularly.

Really I think at least most of those issues are simply questions that people might have, and possibly them not paying attention. I'm not sure those are really to do with weaknesses of the show particularly.

Most of those things are all things that book purists have criticised for not making a lick of sense. Obviously anecdotes are anecdotes, but if a lot of show only fans are equally confused here then that's very telling. 

8. Bran learns everything about the past regarding house stark

I really really hope this happens, and from the casting calls, it sounds like we're going to get some  visions. I think having Max Von Sydow cast as Bloodraven is going to up the game north of the wall.

Most of those things are all things that book purists have criticised for not making a lick of sense. Obviously anecdotes are anecdotes, but if a lot of show only fans are equally confused here then that's very telling. 

I mean I could answer all of those questions just from watching the show. Some of them, the myranda question is just a question about what might happen in the future. The only one I kind of agree with is the Unsullied question, as I think they were portrayed badly, but even then its not confusing.

I was actually unable to answer most of their questions. I said that I can’t since in the books it differs and thus it is impossible for me (after this season, every “invested” watcher started to read the books)

Let’s take for example the wheel speech given by Dany. They asked me why Dany strikes to implement democracy since she considers herself an absolute monarch. They asked how this fits the context. Will she perhaps change her attitude? Will she implement democracy in Westeros? Is there any hint in the books that there will be democracy one day?

Interestingly, I wrote my thesis on ASOIAF and one of my concerns was “realism” in ASOIAF. After this wheel speech, friends of  mine were laughing about this realism aspect, because they believe it is absolutely impossible to implement democracy in such short period of time. Hence, they claim GOT to be politically speaking rather unrealistic.

I agree with protar on this because I had the same expression.

I was actually unable to answer most of their questions. I said that I can’t since in the books it differs and thus it is impossible for me (after this season, every “invested” watcher started to read the books)

Let’s take for example the wheel speech given by Dany. They asked me why Dany strikes to implement democracy since she considers herself an absolute monarch. They asked how this fits the context. Will she perhaps change her attitude? Will she implement democracy in Westeros? Is there any hint in the books that there will be democracy one day?

Interestingly, I wrote my thesis on ASOIAF and one of my concerns was “realism” in ASOIAF. After this wheel speech, friends of  mine were laughing about this realism aspect, because they believe it is absolutely impossible to implement democracy in such short period of time. Hence, they claim GOT to be politically speaking rather unrealistic.

I agree with protar on this because I had the same expression.

I'm not sure her wheel speech had anything to do with Democracy, more that she aims to break up the current system of lords fighting over the iron throne. What she intends to put in its place we cannot know because that hasn't been answered yet. So anyone asking about what events are going to happen in the future are just wasting their time. 

I'm not sure her wheel speech had anything to do with Democracy, more that she aims to break up the current system of lords fighting over the iron throne. What she intends to put in its place we cannot know because that hasn't been answered yet. So anyone asking about what events are going to happen in the future are just wasting their time. 

Yep, but I think the problem is that you are not sure, and so am I. I have no idea what this wheel speech was all about. 

As my unsullied friends I understood it as some kind of system changeover, hence towards a democracy. This is nonsense of course (I think it solely had a stylistic purpose (Dany simply showing her motivation for going to Westeros while looking down on Tyrion and having put on a confident face), the message’s content was rather secondary.  but we understood it that way (some of them are even studying political science :D ).

Yep, but I think the problem is that you are not sure, and so am I. I have no idea what this wheel speech was all about. 

As my unsullied friends I understood it as some kind of system changeover, hence towards a democracy. This is nonsense of course, but we understood it that way (some of them are even studying political science :D )

Of course, but we aren't supposed to know. That isn't a weakness with the show, its simply your friends asking questions. There is no reason to suggest Dany would install a democracy, she hasn't done so anywhere she has been, in fact shes been a dictator mostly. 

Of course, but we aren't supposed to know. That isn't a weakness with the show, its simply your friends asking questions. There is no reason to suggest Dany would install a democracy, she hasn't done so anywhere she has been, in fact shes been a dictator mostly. 

I think we are supposed to know. You already interpreted her speech on this page. So yes, we are suppossed to know.

The main problem is not the actual way this speech was meant, but that they got it wrong since for them she was talking about a breaking of the system, the spines and wheel, the stoppong of the whole wheel.

They think it is like that, nothing else actually matters. They thought she was speaking about implementing a democracy. 

(Moreover, the wheel and spines metaphor is also a widespread metaphor used in International Relations and this picture is usually used for a system changeover). 

EDIT: I actually don’t want to discuss the actual meaning of her senseless statement, I am really not that interested anymore, all I want to say is that many Unsullied misunderstood (democracy) it and thought Dany to be a hypocrite since she herself is an absolute monarch.  

I think we are supposed to know. You already interpreted her speech on this page. So yes, we are suppossed to know.

The main problem is not the actual way this speech was meant, but that they got it wrong since for them she was talking about a breaking of the system, the spines and wheel, the stoppong of the whole wheel.

They think it is like that, nothing else actually matters. They thought she was speaking about implementing a democracy. 

(Moreover, the wheel and spines metaphor is also a widespread metaphor used in International Relations and this picture is usually used for a system changeover). 

No I disagree, you only know she plans to breakup the current system. There is no further information as to her plans and there is no need for her to divulge that information to the audience at that point.

If your friends got that wrong or interpreted it as democracy then that is their own bias coming through.

Archived