Characters you just DO NOT understand people like

rayarts

Jamie I like, it's crazy, i know, and probably all Brienne's fault. The Bran thing is not good but i totally would have knifed the loony tunes screaming about wildfire too.

Stannis and Jorrah. Stannis, I can't like him and don't get the appeal, mostly because Davos saved everyone from starvation on Dragonstone, he could have let him keep his bloody fingers! Too cold and black and white.

And Ser Friendzone just annoys me, he sold people, got his comeuppance and then tried to get in the Lannister's good books by spying on a 13year old girl and knowing it was going to get her killed. Yeah, he regretted it and all but dude!

Well as a Stannis fan I can tell you why I like Stannis. I find him quite humorous, he says alot of funny things without trying to be funny. He's dutiful, he was the only one of power to answer the call of the NW, he smashed the wildlings as they assaulted the wall. He's a just man, not an evil one, and he takes the the threat of the others seriously, while King Tommen plays with cats. Would I want to hang around him? Probably not, but I still like the character. Don't get me wrong he definitely has many faults, rigid, not empathetic at all, and being a fan of the Stark's I'm not a big fan of the burning of weirwood trees, but oh well I take the good with the bad.

As for the character that I can't stand that would be Dany. I understand why people like her, but I don't. It's not for the fact that she feels entitled to the Iron Throne, since Stannis is the same way. Slavery is obviously bad, but look at what happens when you conquer civilizations and change their whole way of living in an instant, it doesn't work. Civilizations take time to evolve, our own history is not pretty but revolts happen and so does change, she should of just taken her unsullied and left Slaver's bay. And I also hate her PoV's, I mean alot of bad stuff is going down in Mereen and yet all she can think about is Daario's "member", I mean cmon girl there is alot more important things then knocking boots with creepy tyroshi.

I can understand people liking/finding most any of the characters fascinating (including Roose and Ramsay). So I'll just go with characters I'm not particularly fond of:

Jon--I know he is super popular, but so much of his story just smacks of Campbell's Hero crap. I loathe Campbell so that somewhat colors my view of the character. I seriously hope he becomes more interesting to me post-resurrection.

Tyrion--I've never liked him. I find him mildly interesting in the show.

Arya--I find the House of Black and White/Faceless Men religion fascinating. I've never found Arya particularly interesting.

I can't understand the admiration for Littlefinger. He has a chip on his shoulder the size of Casterly Rock! He reminds me somewhat of the Stanley family in English history - changing their allegiance willy nilly according to where their own promise of self-advancement lay. Now there's a man without honour if ever there was one. To me he comes across as petulant. I really, really hate him.

I can't understand the admiration for Littlefinger. He has a chip on his shoulder the size of Casterly Rock! He reminds me somewhat of the Stanley family in English history - changing their allegiance willy nilly according to where their own promise of self-advancement lay. Now there's a man without honour if ever there was one. To me he comes across as petulant. I really, really hate him.

The reason I like Littlefinger is that he's a human. He's not a good guy, or a nice guy, or an honorable guy. He's just a human -- no grand titles, magical blood, inherited swords, or prophecies are backing him up. Littlefinger created Littlefinger.

Mostly because I didn't intend to read the books as first, I got into it because of the show and started loving Theon a lot more so I decided to read his chapters, than I got more and more into it and decided to read everything anyway.

Haha, its funny how I JUST NOW noticed your avatar and username.... It seems you are hardcore Theon fan. (Which is totally fine). But you know,

it comes across like you are set on feeling personally attacked (or Theon being attacked) as soon as someone spells his (and/or Ramsay's) name here.... You don't need to defend yourself the character all the time. Just leave the people to their tastes

The reason I like Littlefinger is that he's a human. He's not a good guy, or a nice guy, or an honorable guy. He's just a human -- no grand titles, magical blood, inherited swords, or prophecies are backing him up. Littlefinger created Littlefinger.

Yeah. I really think he is one of the worst villains, but I cannot help admire him at the same time. He did a remarkable job in creating all this chaos and his own power. I wouldn't join his fanclub, but I can comprehend why people like him

I like Dany, Cersei and Arya best of all. Probably because they are the characters who's actions drives the whole storyline forward, as opposed to characters who react to what others have done.

Cersei has these really funny mean thoughts about everyone else which I greatly enjoy (I'd never want to be around her in real life though).

Dany's chapters are my favorites since she's like at the head of every major event she encounters and I get to know all the why's and the how's sort of like first-hand.

Arya might not affect a whole lot of other characters but she still drives her own storyline (like escaping from Kings Landing, escaping Harrenhall, joining the FM, hiding Needle instead of getting rid of it)

Lots of the other characters who drives the action aren't ever POV's, like Robert, Tywin, Robb, Lysa, LF, Stannis etc. and as they aren't it gets tricky to liking or disliking them strongly since you can't really know any of their motivations or thoughts. Some sure, but not enough.

The characters I don't like as much are the biggest pawns, like Sansa and Brienne. Both is completely in toll of someone else throughout all the books. I completely skip Briennes chapters after the first read. But they are at the same time probably the only characters I'd get on with in real life.

Haha, its funny how I JUST NOW noticed your avatar and username.... It seems you are hardcore Theon fan. (Which is totally fine). But you know,

it comes across like you are set on feeling personally attacked (or Theon being attacked) as soon as someone spells his (and/or Ramsay's) name here.... You don't need to defend yourself the character all the time. Just leave the people to their tastes

Good advice, but to be fair I've seen a lot of people attack Blackbird simply for having the audacity to like something outside the perceived norm around here. I mean just look at all the "why don't people like/dislike what I do" threads lately to see the mindset behind a good portion of the forum's userbase.

my username has nothing to do with Theon actually, but yeah I am definitly a massive Theon fan. I don't feel personally attacked when people don't like Theon, everyone likes different characters for different reasons, I do defend him when I think people judge him unfairly (just like everyone else does with their fav characters) and when someone says that Ramsay is a flat character and therefor they can't understand why people like him, I'll reply as well because I happen to like him because he's an interesting and quite complex character. I do feel personally attacked when people openly judge me for liking certain characters and start making assumptions about me like how if I'm an abuse victim and I am interested in the relationship between Theon and Ramsay it's creepy. Or how I must only like Theon because of Alfie Allen. I would really appreciate it if I can simply contribute to this forum without being judged or people pretending like they know me better than I know myself.

Exactly this for me

I too was surprised Stannis had a following, but that's because I started to really like his character. I was like; what is wrong with me? So I was jazzed to see I wasn't the only one. Had me intrigued at "There is no creature half so terrifying as a truly just man"

But Jaime. I don't get the Jaime love. He only stopped being an arrogant douche when he lost his hand and he really hasn't done anything to redeam himself. All he does is whine about Cersei and his hand. Just because he wasn't a complete asshole to the lords in the riverlands and smacked a guy for talking smack about Brienne doesn't make him redeamed. (I did love him smacking that guy at HH though)

So do I. What's the thing that makes you dislike her?

She doesn't think, doesnt take responsibility for her actions, and everything is poor me. She never did anything that made me like her character. In fact she did so many things that made me dislike her character. And not just the lies she told at the trident. I can see her and LF getting along cuz I see BOTH as self absorbed.

I too was surprised Stannis had a following, but that's because I started to really like his character. I was like; what is wrong with me? So I was jazzed to see I wasn't the only one. Had me intrigued at "There is no creature half so terrifying as a truly just man"

But Jaime. I don't get the Jaime love. He only stopped being an arrogant douche when he lost his hand and he really hasn't done anything to redeam himself. All he does is whine about Cersei and his hand. Just because he wasn't a complete asshole to the lords in the riverlands and smacked a guy for talking smack about Brienne doesn't make him redeamed. (I did love him smacking that guy at HH though)

Don't forget about the "sapphires also...and setting Brienne on her mission/ releasing Tyrion. The truth about KL was also a bit of a revelation...but it doesn't wash out his earlier actions

Here are the characters I was surprised to discover had "fans" when I joined this forum. (And by "fans" I mean fanatics who will rabidly defend the character's every action, no matter how indefensible, and will gang up on anyone who dares disagree with them.)

Stannis

Sansa

Catelyn

Theon

That is not to say that people are not free to like whichever characters for whatever reasons they choose, but character worship is beyond my comprehension.

So many....

Lord Stannis Baratheon...The man is evil, murderer, adulterous and even more mad than the Old King (Aerys)

Sansa Lannister Bolton....Come on, she's so dull, boring ans so full of shit

Catelyn Stark...That lady began a war and then betray his son/king

Darkstar....Hello, we have like two lines of this super warrior in a million pages book.

Archived